Off Topic Messages

Barry White dies

Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:30 am

For those who were fans of The Walrus of Luhrve, you will be saddened to learn of the death of singer Barry White. I don't think he had been well for some time. Perhaps he was not exactly ground-breaking musically, but he made a few million women (and possibly some men) happy.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:32 am

Is this true? I haven't checked this in the news yet, but I will soon.
If this true, this is sad news indeed. No one made sexier bedroom music
than Barry White and Marvin Gaye. Absolutely irresistable to women of all ages. :oops:

I have to disagree that he didn't break new ground in the 70s. He made soul-albums as integrated works of almost symphonic length and execution. His sound was very percussive, unlike any other soul-singer of the time. He also made use of instruments seldom found on R&B albums like Harpsichord and French Horns. He also brought the strings upfront in his songs where saxes or guitars had been.

He was also involved in the production, arrangement and the mix of his albums.

I would say I he is one of the biggest soul superstars ever, underestimated artistiscally despite (or because of :? ) his commercial succes, a powerful and commanding singer, sex symbol.

RIP, Love God.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:35 am

a very sad day in the world of soul music... barry hada wonderful voice and will be missed.

Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:15 pm

A sad day indeed. But as a lighter aside:

The news was told to me by my six year old nephew. My sister explained who Barry White was and how he was known, my nephew then informed me that "Barry White, the lovely walrus is dead".

I love kids, I wish I had their take on life and it's ups and downs.

Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:17 pm

I cut and paste from another site.

Barry White, whose deep voice and lushly orchestrated songs added up to soundtracks for seduction, died on Friday in Los Angeles. He was 58. White's childhood was as rough as his songs were smooth, in 1960 he spent seven months in jail for stealing tires. According to White's 1999 autobiography, "Love Unlimited: Insights on Life and Love", while in jail he heard Elvis Presley's hit "It's Now or Never", and decided to give up crime.

:o :D

Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:39 am

This is sad news.

He brought us some great music together with the female voices of the Love Unlimitted Orchestra

....and he was a true Elvis fan as well.

May God have your Soul