5%
Poor
No votes
Not worth the money
3%

Total votes : 39

Re: FTD - Godsend or The Devil's Work ?

Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:32 am

Rob wrote:I think that we should be grateful that there is such a thing. For someone like myself who has been collecting for nearly 30 years, this is a dream come true. Again, I was a member of the "old school" where I was glad to get my hands on an audience recorded cassette tape. There are way too many spoiled people here who do not know first hand what it was like to be a fan in the late 70's and all through the 80's....

Ain't that the truth? I had a healthy ELvis Lp collection by the late '70s but never for a moment thought, "boy, these electronically-reprocessed" versions sound awful"! (I had a lot of them...) Hell, I liked Camden/Pickwick 8-tracks, too. Some of the comments on this board lately drive me up the wall with their lack of perspective.

And I agree: this is on-topic!

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote:What do you think ?

It seems to me this query is really unnecessary -- how can anyone rationally condemn this label? It is there for the hardcore fans, to supplant and improve upon the "import" trade, and to buttress catalog items no longer considered worthy of retail by BMG.

Besides, if you don't like 'em, you don't have to buy 'em.

DJC

Sounds a little like, "America: Love it or Leave it," eh Doc?

Seriously, I agree with the general sentiments above. And I know what Errol and Scatter mean about the term "gratitude" being a problem.

I'm a huge critic of Ernst in terms of the main RCA/BMG/Sony label, but I always think such criticism should be couched in a sense of perspective.

I'd sure like to know who the two fans are who called FTD's merely "fair."

Get real, people! :evil: :lol:

Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:53 am

ColinB wrote:
Scatter wrote:Don't get snippy with me Colin........I'll break in and steal your computer again :wink:

Your admission has been passed to the appropriate authority.

Be afraid.

Of whom.........Interpol??

M5??

Bond??

The Princess Di investigators???

I believe I'll sleep OK :lol:

Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:53 am

Scatter wrote:Of whom.........Interpol??

M5??

Bond??

The Princess Di investigators???

I believe I'll sleep OK :lol:

Actually, it was Sam's Oz Detection & Enforcement Agency.

Broken bones a speciality !

Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:17 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I'd sure like to know who the two fans are who called FTD's merely "fair."

Or the one (1) who needs a lobotomy and says they are "not worth the money."

Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:37 pm

Rob wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I'd sure like to know who the two fans are who called FTD's merely "fair."

Or the one (1) who needs a lobotomy and says they are "not worth the money."

Hmmmmmmmmmmm:

SeeSeeRider, He Who Admits He Returned His copies FTDs of "Frankie & Johnny," "As Recorded Live On Stage in Memphis," "Today" and "Elvis Is Back": come clean!! :evil: :lol:

Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:47 pm

Rob wrote:Or the one (1) who needs a lobotomy and says they are "not worth the money."

Well, anyone can vote for what they choose.

They're pretty out of step with the majority, though !

I have a neat little piece of illegal software which tells me who voted for each option !

You'd never guess in a million years who doesn't think they're worth the money !

Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:25 am

ColinB wrote:You'd never guess in a million years who doesn't think they're worth the money !

Obviously someone who is completely ignorant as to what the FTD label means to most Elvis fans.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:35 am

i think this poll was'nt necessary, because the answer is really obvious. FTD the Devils work?! good god! without FTD, we never would've got these re-released sound tracks with alternate takes and vinyl packaging (ok, so i don't have one, but i have been reading). without FTD we would'nt have got these fantastic concerts officially released, without FTD us Elvis fans would probably only have useless recycled compilations to feed on, with only the occasional boxset, but i don't think those sound tracks would've been re-released the way they were

FTD is a god send, no question about it!

now, does that prove my point?

Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:42 am

ColinB wrote: I have a neat little piece of illegal software which tells me who voted for each option !

OK then Colin, do tell what option I voted for!!! :D

:lol:

Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:54 am

You are the exception, Sam. Nobody understands the things you do.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:58 am

Rob wrote:You are the exception, Sam. Nobody understands the things you do.

...or don't!!! :?

:wink:

Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:50 am

sam wrote:
ColinB wrote: I have a neat little piece of illegal software which tells me who voted for each option !

OK then Colin, do tell what option I voted for!!! :D :lol:

The person who rigged it up for me has made me swear never to reveal the results !

Let's just say your option didn't surprise me at all !

Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:59 pm

ColinB wrote: The person who rigged it up for me has made me swear never to reveal the results !

He, He, I didn't choose an option. I am still to vote!!! :wink: :lol:

8)

Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:24 pm

sam wrote:
ColinB wrote: The person who rigged it up for me has made me swear never to reveal the results !

He, He, I didn't choose an option. I am still to vote!!! :wink: :lol: 8)

Exactly !

No surprise there.

Scott wrote:
i think this poll was'nt necessary, because the answer is really obvious.
FTD the Devils work?! good god!

The religious references were just in the thread header as an attention-grabber.

The actual poll options are a bit more down-to-earth.

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:14 pm

I, for one, really enjoyed Colin's 'devilish' sense of humo(u)r in the title...!

Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:46 am

Well, just so Colin doesn't out me...........I voted for Devil's Work.

Ernst is actually Lucifer incarnate, and Kevin Budd is his evil minion. Every release thus far can be played backwards to reveal a satanic message with Robert Goulet playing background music.

Well.........OK........I voted good. Artwork could DEFINITELY use some professional help.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:17 am

it's me who said not worth the money, not because the material which is given isn't worth anything, but because of the MONEY part. i always feel gauged when i actually do purchase something...even though it's more of a matter of everything costs too much these days (gee, i sound like my dad).

seriously though. i love the fact that this uncommercial material gets released, though i hate that it's not accessable in real stores (not all of us are allowed to go on internet shopping sprees--especially since my mom is the only one who likes to spend money and she's afraid of the internet).

so until the time when a) i have a job, b) i don't have to go through my parents, c) and only for a few items, since i know i don't have a chance in hell for getting a decent legite collection like the long-time collectors here...

...it's those nasty little internet freebies and downloads until i either hit the lottery jackpot or marry a billionaire. :cry:

i'm very budgeted with my hobbies, and non-regular store sold material is pretty much a not gonna happen, since i'm afraid to even ask to purchase anything.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:58 am

I'm gratefull but there is always room for improvement! The ones we get with 2 discs in the 7" format are def worth the money! They all should at least be in the 7" format at this point and retire the digipac format.

JEFF d
EP fan

Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:22 pm

Well id rather have all the orginal albums still aviable on cd, and just have regular releases from recording sessions including the movies! i think most love the classic series cause it reminds them of records, i love some of these releases but hearing the comment just wait they will release it on the classic series gets to be annoying to me, now i know i know most dont think like this,but there r others who do feel this way,they just dont speak up :D anyways glad to have ftd label,one request for now NASHVILLE 71 & THE RECORDINGS FROM FEB 72 VEGAS :P sorry i got excited there for sec, :D

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:29 pm

Elvis' babe: I take it you mean you're being "gouged" and I feel for you. A lot of us are long "out of our parents" house :lol: and don't find the FTD prices very friendly either.

If you're patient and look around on the net, eventually you can find them all at a reduced price. It's worth it either way.

I've never had a real problem with the FTD artwork, Scatter, although one does think the folks at TCB's forum or Nightrider ought to be used sometimes...

Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:51 pm

Watch it greg,my parents cellar is not that bad, really its not,just wish there was some kind of window,havnt seen the sun for days :shock:

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:48 am

:lol:

If I keep up with buying even discounted FTDs, I'll have to make that fateful call back home when the wife says she's leaving and taking Jr. with her and say: "Ma, I'ma comin' home!"