Off Topic Messages

Tarzan's chimp Cheeta reaches 74

Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:14 am

Cheeta the chimpanzee,who appeared in the Tarzan movies,has attended a party to celebrate his 74th birthday.
Cheeta is kept by owner Dan Westfall,who was given him by an Uncle who was a Hollywood animal trainer in the 1930's.
The chimp who has appeared opposite Johnny Weismuller in 12 films,is recognised by the Guiness Book of World Records as the world's oldest chimp.
Cheeta was given a sugar free cake at the party as he is now diabetic.

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:04 pm

:lol: I saw this story the other day. That's one tough chimp. Too bad ol' Scatter didn't have the same "staying power." In this pic, we see our buddy wrapping up a few Elvis tunes...

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:23 pm

That reminds me..........I must call the Mother-in-Law!

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:23 pm

Happy birthday! :shock:

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:25 pm

Delboy wrote:That reminds me..........I must call the Mother-in-Law!

I hope for your sake that she [or your wife] doesn't read this MB !

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:07 pm

Happy Birthday Cheetah! Umgowa!

Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:14 pm

That's pretty amazing. Not to mention cool :)

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:11 am

It is amazing and very cool. Cheetah was on one of the extras on the MGM box set of Tarzan films.
One more thing. This Cheetah could not have been in the first Weissmuller film because that was made 74 years ago. I would think that she wasn't in the second either which was made 71 years ago.
But still, this is one great story.

jeff R

Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:17 am

Who says Cheetas never prosper? :smt110

Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:42 am

Yes very cool to know someone from these old classics is still with us. Cheeta was mega fun in those movies.

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:41 pm

When Johnny Weissmuller first started working with this Chimpanzee he was warned by the trainers that the chimp could be ornery. Johnny walked up to it and it bared it's teeth, snarled at him. Johnny knelt down in front of it, removed his Tarzan knife, and held it up to the chimp's face. The chimp bared it's teeth and snarled again. Johnny gave the chimp a quick, sharp rap on the head with the handle of the knife. The chimp bared it's teeth again, but then it smiled and jumped into Johnny's arms! From that point on the chimp followed Johnny around the set like a puppy dog. When they did publicity photo shoots the chimp would try to squeeze between Johnny and Maureen O'Sullivan.