Off Topic Messages

The End Of The Beatles

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:11 am

I saw on television tonight that it was thirty-six years ago today that Paul McCartney made the announcement that the Beatles were splitsville. Not being a Beatles fan, but nothing against them either, I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this? Did they part ways because of friction in the group? Were they tired of Lennon's wife? What actually happened to cause their parting of ways? Teach me something, Doc.

Let's try not to turn this into a "Beatles bashing" thread.

Re: The End Of The Beatles

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:32 am

Rob wrote: Did they part ways because of friction in the group? Were they tired of Lennon's wife? Let's try not to turn this into a "Beatles bashing" thread.

Very much friction, caused by a few different things. Yoko, Paul wanting to have to much control. Jealousies etc.
That's my recollections. John and Paul just weren't getting on for various reasons.
Doc will have the diffinitive answers. :D

8)

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:34 am

Money.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:38 am

JLGB wrote:Money.

Yes that't part of it as well. They were losing to much of it in bussiness dealings I think.

8)

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:59 am

After Brian Epstein (manager) died they were left alone and started having differences in how to run things financially( different camps on who should run things and how), musical directions changing, friendship went downhill with no help from spouses . It was over by 1970 and Lennon being leader of the group had not announced to the public the inevitable. Paul casually announced breakup in press release for his first solo effort surprising the world and pissing the hell out John.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:09 am

You can't fop it off to just Yoko or any one thing. George wasn't gettting enough songs. Paul and John's musical interests had been splitting for some time. Paul married Linda Eastman and one of the big blowups that occurred was when McCartney wanted her relatives to take over the Beatles' finances and Lennon wanted former Sam Cooke manager Allen Klein. (I'm pretty sure that was it. It's been awhile since I read up on that.) The problem with Yoko was her presence in the recording studio although it must be said that on some later Beatles' tracks like "Ballad of John and Yoko" John and Paul play together and Ringo and George sit it out. The Apple situation hadn't worked out as well as they had wanted.

Mostly though I think they just grew apart although the split around 1970 for some reasons listed above was, at the time, very acrimonius between John and Paul.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:30 pm

Fact is, John wasn't intrested anymore and Yoko was taking him in a different direction.

As likethebike points out, Paul wanted his father in law, Lee Eastman, as the Beatles manager, while the other 3 opposed stating that they wanted Allen klein, and that Eastman being related to Paul could benefit him in some way.

Finally Paul was proved right for Allen Klein had to be sued (even John wrote "Steel and glass" in his "Walls and bridges" album attacking him.

It's also true that in the fall of 1969 John said he was leaving the group, but was persuaded by the others to not make it public.

That's why he got pissed off when in March 1970 he read in the newspaper an article saying "Paul is quitting the Beatles" for he did it to promote his first proper solo album, "McCartney".

Another fact is Apple was losing lots of money due to bad administration. And after the success of "Something" and "Here comes the sun" George Harrison wasn't gonna be happy with his 2 songs per album anymore.

Well, there were other factors as well, but there are some reasons.

Regards

Javier from Buenos Aires

Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:44 pm

Rob wrote:
Let's try not to turn this into a "Beatles bashing" thread.

Now who would do that ?

They suffered the same fate as any group of creative artists.

They were all wanting to go in different directions in the end.

I guess the main factor was the tension between Paul and John.

The introduction of Yoko on the scene didn't help any.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:03 pm

What actually happened to cause their parting of ways? Teach me something, Doc.

"Rob" - the many astute comments above, LTB's in particular, answer your question. I can only add that the core factor was that they'd spent the better part of the decade together, working their tails off to unprecedented success, and simply grew tired of one another. They went from young men to adults, and they all needed to do their own thing.

That said, Lennon was the first to leave the group in Oct '69, but he kept it quiet until the new year at the request of management and EMI.

Also, if they'd had a visionary manager (perhaps Brian, if he'd lived), they could have taken a few years off, never foramlly broken up, and reassembled when they all felt good and ready to make music together.

In the end, I'm more than greatful for an AMAZING twenty-five year career squeezed into seven (Aug '62 - Aug '69). It won't happen again.

DJC

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:10 pm

April 10, 2006 -- The Rock Radio.com

Flashback: Paul McCartney quits the Beatles

It was 36 years ago today (April 10th), that Paul McCartney's departure from the Beatles was made public, in effect announcing to the world what many fans had suspected over the past six months -- the Beatles had broken up. McCartney's statements regarding the end of his songwriting partnership with John Lennon, along his wish to record apart from Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, came in the part of a question and answer sheet included with the press copies of his debut solo album, titled McCartney.

In the Q&A -- which was written entirely by McCartney -- he asked himself several pointed questions about the future of the group. Macca explained his reasons for going solo, citing "business and musical differences, but most of all because I have a better time with my family." McCartney went on to say that, "I do not foresee a time when the Lennon & McCartney partnership will be active again in songwriting."

In truth, the group had been dormant since John Lennon privately announced his split to Macca and Starr during a business meeting the previous September. By all accounts, George Harrison was not present for the announcement. Lennon ended the meeting by revealing to the pair that he wanted "a divorce" from the group.

Tensions had been building between the Beatles since their return from India in the spring of 1968. A year later, when Lennon, Harrison and Starr out-voted McCartney into hiring manager Allen Klein to run their company Apple Corps, the rift began to deepen.

True to his decision, Lennon didn't attend what turned out to be the group's final recording session on January 3rd, 1970, when the Beatles taped Harrison's song "I Me Mine."

In the months that followed Lennon's private announcement, the Beatles gave interviews in which they all deliberately refrained from announcing the split. That February -- nearly five months after quitting the group -- Lennon told Rolling Stone that, "We still might make Beatles product. We just need more room. The Beatles are just too limited." That next month, both Starr and Harrison spoke to Britain's New Musical Express, with Starr stating that, "I've got things to do, George has things to do, and Paul has his solo album to come, and John has his peace thing. We can't do everything at once. Time will tell." Harrison added that, "Say we've got unity through diversity... We had to find ourselves individually, one day."

Later that year, Lennon spoke about Macca's announcement, telling Rolling Stone that "We were all hurt that he didn't tell us what he was going to do... A lot of people knew I left. I was a fool not to do what Paul did, which was use it to sell a record. I wasn't angry. He's a good PR man, I mean he's about the best in the word... he really knows how to do a job."

Paul McCartney said that the split from the group sent him into a huge depression for several months: "I was quite broken up by the end of the Beatles. I'd been trying to hold them together, but it was something that wasn't to be. So, you know, I went into a bit of a depression after that. And I'm normally quite optimistic, but, you know, I'd just lost the best job in the world, and anyone who's just even ever lost a job knows how that feels."

Although the split cemented the fact that the Beatles would no longer record as a single unified group, in December 1970 McCartney sued Lennon, Harrison and Starr to formally dissolve their business partnership. His suit ultimately put all the monies earned by the group in escrow for the next five years. The Beatles formal partnership stretched on until early 1975.

Their business problems carried on through the next 20 years before all their interpersonal lawsuits were settled. Today, the group's company, Apple Corps, is jointly owned by McCartney, Starr and the estates of Lennon and Harrison, and handles all past and future Beatles business.

In 2001 Macca recalled the split for his Wingspan project, saying that, "It doesn't matter who broke the Beatles up -- the Beatles were ready to break up. We'd come full circle and now we had to get on with something new, all of us."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:23 am

Thanks for posting this javilu.