Off Topic Messages

The Man Comes Around

Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:53 am

I just finished listening to this cd by Cash, his latest. got it earlier today. wow, that is a rough listen! sad, sad, sad! gloomy. where's my demerol? lol But it is a fascinating listen. Ole John never fails to amaze. At 70 he sounds aged but a wise soul. Good stuff.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:35 am

Very good CD. About 4 or 5 very good songs, and a few I do skip over, but I listen to it all the time.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:57 am

Johnny's one of the best! Every once in awile I have to take a break from Elvis and rock and spend a couple days listening to Johnny. I never tire of him. A true living legend.

jeff R

Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:12 am

Johnny Cash " An Anthology of the Man in Black" is a nice DVD to watch.

:mrgreen:

Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:36 am

Check out Cash's brilliant video for 'Hurt':

http://www.markromanek.com/video/14.html[/url]

Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:18 pm

Thank you very much for the link to Cash's Hurt clip. To repeat your words: It's truly brilliant.

Thanks,
Sonny

Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:20 am

Yeah,thanks,a great video!

Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:44 am

Oh Yeah, Johnny's Great! He just gets better and better.
I just received an (import) :wink: CD, "The Dylan/Cash Sessions" That's Bob Dylan, Of course. They do an awsome 'That's Allright Mama'!! Anyone else interested in this CD message me and maybe we can do a trade.

The Man Comes Around

Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:59 am

This release is one of Johnny's best, ever. Yes, he gets short of breath and sometimes has difficulty sustaining a note, but who would not, given his current health status.

We may not be blessed with too many more gifts from him, and I am savoring everything he has to give.

This is not your usual Johnny Cash CD. It is very different and, if you truly love the guy, it's a must-have. JMHO

Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:51 pm

“The Man Comes Around” is an excellent album. All four of Cash’s “American Recordings” CD’s are first rate, and a real achievement considering Johnny’s health problems in recent years. The “Hurt” video is brilliant, and sadly it seems like a farewell, which I hope is not the case.

I have the Dylan/Cash Sessions CD, and agree that it’s a great album, and an interesting listen. I’m presuming this was recorded around the same time as the “Nashville Skyline” album when Bob and Johnny sang a duet on “The Girl From North Country”.

Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:15 pm

Yes indeed, Rebel; the Dylan/Cash-sessions were recorded at the same time as "Nashville Skyline" in February 1969. They spent just a few hours in the studio but managed to recorded around 20 songs!
"The Man Comes Around" is an incredible album, very sad but excellent (much like "From EP Boulevard"!) if you dig sad music. You could very well assume that "Hurt" is the Elvis song, since the alblum also contains versions of "Bridge Over Troubled Water", "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and "I´m So Lonesome I Could Cry"! But it´s the Nine Inch Nails song, and one of Johnny´s best recordings ever.

Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:34 pm

Prince Dragna wrote:You could very well assume that "Hurt" is the Elvis song, since the alblum also contains versions of "Bridge Over Troubled Water", "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and "I´m So Lonesome I Could Cry"! But it´s the Nine Inch Nails song, and one of Johnny´s best recordings ever.

This is one of things I really like about Johnny’s “American” albums. If he likes a song he’ll record it. There’s never any prejudice about who recorded or originally wrote a song, or what musical genre it fits into. For me this makes the album’s so much more varied and entertaining.

Thanks for the info on the Dylan session.

Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:41 pm

You´re welcome, Rebel! I´d like to believe that Elvis would choose songs and record albums in the same manner as Cash if he were alive today (well, a bit like the Elvis albums of the 70´s but without all the publishing BS - like Elvis wasn´t allowed to record "Sunday Morning Coming Down", although he wanted to. Crazy!)
By the way, I read a recent interview with Johnny, and he is currently recording a gospel album.

Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:50 pm

Thanks Prince Dragna,

Good to hear that Johnny is recording again. The publishing issue is one of the most frustrating aspects of Elvis’ later career, and I think his albums suffered because of it. He could and should have been allowed to record whatever he wanted to.

Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:48 pm

Johnny Cash is one of my all-time favorites. An excellent DVD I can surely advise is called "Johnny Cash at Town Hall Party" (Bear Family) featuring vintage performances from 15/11/58 and 8/08/59. 26 classic tracks full of pure country and rockabilly. Adequate b/w picture and good sound quality, considering their age and the circumstances in which the material was shot. A Cash fan can't do without, as these early CAsh clips are rare. He even impersonates Elvis on Heartbreak Hotel! The same label has also released Town Hall Party DVD's from Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent and Bob Luman.

The best Cash anthology by far is still Columbia/Sony "The Essential Johnny Cash" 3cd set (remastered edition), 75 tracks. His American Recordings cd's are among the most played in my collection.

Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:26 am

I love Big River! man what a track! nothing better!

Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:40 am

'Big River' is the opener of the San Quentin show, and what an opener! 'Wreck of the Old '97' (same album) is also a fantastic (and fast!) song.

Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:48 pm

Talking about fast songs, what about:

The Rock Island Line (great song)

Wanted Man (absolutely great stuff)

Cocaine Blues (uncut version)

Like with Elvis, we could go on mentioning great songs of Cash!

(With Rock Island Line being the only fast song in my little list off course)

Sonny

Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:02 am

Cash's duet of "Jackson" with wife June Carter is one of the best recordings in country music history.

Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:59 am

is this new johnny cash cd any cont i was going to get it
but i am not for sure, i do love johnny cash's music.

i heard the song hurt i didnt like the song
is the other songs allright.

curtis simpkins

Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:37 am

What does "any cont" mean?

jeff R

Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:33 am

sorry about that i meant
isnt worth getting.

curtis simpkins :roll:

Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:54 pm

Yes, it's worth having it. For me "hurt" is the less interisting song. The rest is much better, including some remakes from his old recordings like:

'Give my love to rose' and 'I'm so lonesome I could cry'.

On the following link you can listen to songclips before buying it.

http://www.johnnycash.com/songclips/songclips.htm

Sun May 04, 2003 11:35 am

I have all four "American" albums by J.C.
And I think the decline is quite noticeble from Solitary Man to The Man comes around. The last one is enjoyable, but not by far as good as the previous ones.
Solitary Man is the best to me. His cover of Nick Cave's "Mercy seat" is so good and dramatic, I think Cave must have had The Man in Black on his mind when writing it.

Also, my credits to Rick Rubin. Has has taste for intrumentation and arrangements when it comes to Johnny Cash.

Sun May 04, 2003 10:09 pm

on tiro
i seen the video of cash song hurt first time i seen this
all of the video.

man he looks bad, last time i seen cash look great
was that pbs show A,C,L concert from 1988 or 89.

curtis simpkins