Off Topic Messages

Tittle-Tuttle

Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:09 pm

Why is the American Ambassador to Britain behaving 'like a cheap little crook' ?

All the other embassies pay the London Congestion Charge without complaint.

So did the American one until a certain Robert Tuttle arrived !

He reckons he doesn't have to pay it, because under the Vienna Convention, local 'taxes' don't have to be paid by embassies.

But it isn't a 'tax' it's a 'toll'.

The UK embassy in the US pays bridge & road tolls without complaint.

And the US embassy car fleet in London benefits from the lack of congestion in the city.

But pays nothing towards it !

The few bucks he is saving are far outweighed by the huge amount of bad publicity he is generating for the US !

And remember, we are one of the few friends you have left around the world, and deserve better than this cavalier treatment !

Time for Tuttle to scuttle !

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:45 pm

The total silence from the US posters is noted.

Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:49 pm

Colin -
1.) I think he should pay.

2.) The 'few friends' bit is sad, considering the reason you Europeans aren't referring to each other as comrade is primarily due to U.S. military might keeping the Soviets in check for nearly half a century.

3.) We've still got plenty of friends. It's just that some of our historical allies, primarily France, aren't too keen on us. We can live with that. In fact, it's gotten to the point in the U.S. that if France criticizes us for a given thing it's a pretty good indicator it's the right thing to do.

4.) Be honest. You Brits would just as soon tell the French and the Germans and the Scandinavians to sod off. You just got to make nice with them due to geographical proximity and economic competition/cooperation. :)

Re: Tittle-Tuttle

Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:54 pm

ColinB wrote:Why is the American Ambassador to Britain behaving 'like a cheap little crook' ?


Colin, a further thought. It's a prerequisite for ambassadorship to be a cheap little crook. When you've graduated to the level of expensive big crook you're appointed to the upper echelon of the U.N.

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:26 pm

Pete -

I'm glad you think he should pay !

BTW that 'cheap little crook' bit wasn't my description; the Mayor of London used those words.

All right, you have some other friends.

I'll re-word that as 'we've been loyal friends of yours through a trying period lately' !

Don't know why you think we don't really like our European neighbours !

They are OK !

We like you deep down, but the actions of Mr Tuttle aren't helping just now !

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:17 am

Pete Dube wrote:Colin -
2.) The 'few friends' bit is sad, considering the reason you Europeans aren't referring to each other as comrade is primarily due to U.S. military might keeping the Soviets in check for nearly half a century.


Dream on!! The only thing "U.S. military might" did was stop the Soviets from nuking your asses during the cold war.
I don't remember the U.S stopping the Soviets from invading Europe, you must let me know when that happened.When was France, Germany and the UK overrun? I must have missed that.

Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:10 am

Just saw this Colin.........what an assinine move by the US ambassador :roll:

And Pete........I have to agree with our Irish friend that you're wrong. The Soviet's desire for expansion wasn't stopped by the deterrent of the US military.

It was because of the fearsome Irish military machine :wink: :lol:

BBC NEWS / COUNTRY PROFILES
Graphics Version | Change to UK Version | BBC Sport Home
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia | UK | Business | Health | Science/Nature | Technology | Entertainment | Have Your Say | Week at a Glance
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, 23 December 2005, 16:49 GMT
Profile: Nato

Founded: 1949
Membership: 26 nations
Applicant nations: Albania, Croatia, Macedonia

Formed in 1949 to counter the threat of post-war communist expansion as the Soviet Union sought to extend its influence in Europe, Nato - the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation - is the world's most powerful regional defence alliance.
It has traditionally stated its general aim as being to "safeguard the freedom, common heritage and civilisation" of its members by promoting "stability and well-being in the North Atlantic area".

Members agree that an armed attack against one shall be considered an attack against them all, and that they will come to the aid of each other.


Originally consisting of 12 countries, the organisation expanded to include Greece and Turkey in 1952 and West Germany in 1955. However, then, as now, the alliance was militarily dominated by the United States.

In 1955 the Soviet Union created a counter-alliance called the Warsaw Pact, which dissolved after the break-up of the USSR in 1991.

The Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland became the first former Warsaw Pact countries to gain Nato membership in 1999. The next historic step came at the end of March 2004 when Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, republics of the USSR until its collapse in 1991, along with Slovenia, Slovakia, Bulgaria and Romania were formally welcomed as Nato members at a ceremony in Washington.

Croatia, Albania and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia have also applied to join but have not yet been formally invited to do so

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:32 am

Scatter wrote:
Profile: Nato

Founded: 1949
Membership: 26 nations
Applicant nations: Albania, Croatia, Macedonia

Formed in 1949 to counter the threat of post-war communist expansion as the Soviet Union sought to extend its influence in Europe,



Thanks Scatter for clearing that up for Pete, that it wasn't "U.S military might" but "NATO", which comprised of 12 founding countries with "U.S military might" being only one of them. It's nice to see that you are on my side. Appreciate it!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:53 am

Promocollector -
Scatter did clear it up. "The alliance was militarily dominated by the United States" is the key sentence. Unless you consider Guinness a weapon. :wink: :)

Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:29 am

Pete Dube wrote:Unless you consider Guinness a weapon. :wink: :)


Depends on whether its in a pint glass or a can. :lol: :lol:

Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:40 am

Promocollector wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:Unless you consider Guinness a weapon. :wink: :)


Depends on whether its in a pint glass or a can. :lol: :lol:


Made me laugh out loud Promo :lol: :lol:

But seriously........the only reason that NATO was formed was because the European countries were militarily unable to defend themselves in the case of Soviet aggression. It wasn't because we needed the help......stronger together than apart, and all that.

And it certainly worked as the deterrent it was intended to.