Off Topic Messages

Should I or Shouldn't I?

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:52 pm

I've got the opportunity to get a mint condition '92 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster for $5900.00. 10% down, 6 year financing. What do you folks think? I've long wanted a Harley.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:48 pm

Pete, do you wear your hair in a ponytail and have a large droopy moustache by any chance ?

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:52 pm

If you have long wanted one...Go for it.

8)

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:05 pm

Seriously Pete, six years is an awfully long time if thats the only way you can afford it, but hey, we are only here the once.

Re: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:13 pm

Pete Dube wrote:I've got the opportunity to get a mint condition '92 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster for $5900.00. 10% down, 6 year financing. What do you folks think? I've long wanted a Harley.

I'd go for it 8)

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:16 pm

Ezzz wrote:Pete, do you wear your hair in a ponytail and have a large droopy moustache by any chance ?

:lol: Nope Errol. I've been told by a few different people that I look kinda like Stallone! :shock: (Albeit shorter.) I don't really see much, if any resemblence. No ponytail (that's for still-stuck-in-the-60's types), and I've currently got a goatee.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:25 pm

Pete,

I don't know what Harley's are going for in your neck of the woods, but the price and financing seems a little high to me for a '92 883 Sporty. Are you getting this from a dealer? They're notoriously higher than private sellers, as you probably know.

If you've got your heart set on it, then do it. I've been riding mine for years and there's just nothing like it.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:46 pm

I say go for it, too, Pete, although it's a lot easier to say that when it's not my cash on the line! But seriously, the last few years I have adopted much more of a "live for today" attitude. Too often, I put things off for a better time, and most often, that time passes by--along with the opportunity. If you can, do it! :D

Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:58 pm

EagleUSA wrote:Pete,

I don't know what Harley's are going for in your neck of the woods, but the price and financing seems a little high to me for a '92 883 Sporty. Are you getting this from a dealer? They're notoriously higher than private sellers, as you probably know.

If you've got your heart set on it, then do it. I've been riding mine for years and there's just nothing like it.

Yes it's through a dealer Eagle. Even though I'm not crazy about the idea of being locked in for 6 years on a used bike, it's the only way I'll be able to get a Harley unless I win the lottery! I don't have the funds to buy from a private seller.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:28 pm

Pete Dube wrote:I've got the opportunity to get a mint condition '92 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster for $5900.00. 10% down, 6 year financing. What do you folks think? I've long wanted a Harley.

I remember those 883s. Bear in mind, after paying off a 6 year financing, by then, it's a 20 yr old bike.

If you buy it Pete, augment it to have baloney-cut pipes and a spoked front wheel. The backwheel can be mag since it's barely seen, hidden by the frame, but the front wheel of a Harley must be spoked like a vintage wheel.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:30 pm

6 years on a bike that is 14 years old... I wouldn't do it. JMO

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:01 am

You only live once ....or is that twice...or

Go for it, as you never know how many chances are out there to do what you want.

8)

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:07 am

sam wrote:You only live once ....or is that twice...or

You were right the first time Sam :lol: , its once :wink:

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:27 am

elvispresleyfan1935 wrote:
sam wrote:You only live once ....or is that twice...or

You were right the first time Sam :lol: , its once :wink:

well twice if you technically die (drowning or something) and then get revived again. :lol:

well, if it's a good bike and it's worth that much, i'd go for it.

then again, i understand procrastination. i'm turning 19 next month and i haven't even attempted to learn how to drive.

Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:16 am

Folks I made a mistake in describing the bike. I wrote that it was a '92. It's actually an '02. :oops:

Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:24 am

Pete Dube wrote:Folks I made a mistake in describing the bike. I wrote that it was a '92. It's actually an '02. :oops:

I would for sure get it now knowing that :lol:

8)

Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:36 am

Pete Dube wrote:I've got the opportunity to get a mint condition '92 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster for $5900.00.

Do you know how many FTD's and imports you can get for that much money?

Get the bike!

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:02 am

Go for it Pete!!!!

I say that as an absolute hypocrite, however. I myself would love to get another bike..........but my wife has told me in no uncertain terms that she has no intention of having to nursemaid both Justine and myself for the rest of her life if I wreck the thing and cripple myself.

She only has enough energy for one...........I'll leave you to guess who would be out in the cold :wink:

Therefore, to save myself from the possibility of living as a disabled man in a cardboard box down by the river...........I'm sticking with my pickup truck.

The things we do (or don't do, in this case) for love :lol:

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:35 am

Pete Dube wrote:Folks I made a mistake in describing the bike. I wrote that it was a '92. It's actually an '02. :oops:

Well that is different! Since it is only 4 years old and not 14!! :lol:

I would probably go for it(i don't ride though) but I would try to shorten up my loan for a maybe a 3 year loan(that's just me)... 6 years is still pretty long. Come the 3rd year you are going to be more than ready to have it paid off... and by the 6th! :evil:

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:40 pm

don't

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:34 pm

don't be a spoil sport ColinB

:lol:

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:35 pm

Aw c'mon Colin. Don't you want me to have wheels on my heels? :)

Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:23 pm

Remember, we don't use the word "sickle" anymore, fellas.

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:04 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Aw c'mon Colin. Don't you want me to have wheels on my heels? :)

I'm not saying young men should never have a motorbike.

But if you haven't got one by 25 - forget it.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:05 am

Colin -
I had one at 20. I had another at 29. And I'm still a relatively young man .... ok, middle-aged - unless you subscribe to Ger Riff's definition of an ol' timer.

But it's a moot point. Someone else bought the bike.