Off Topic Messages

Hammersmith odeon, London '75

Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 am

has anyone got the new bs and the e street band cd? im asking has there ever been a band that sounded better than they did that night in 1975? max weinberg has to be( at least then) the best rock drummer ever! all the songs off the born to run lp sound tight! and it also has the famous detriot medley on it which ive never had on a cd before man and im sure dr john which attest they were the best.

Re: Hammersmith odeon, London '75

Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:41 am

scottngeorgia wrote:has anyone got the new bs and the e street band cd? im asking has there ever been a band that sounded better than they did that night in 1975? max weinberg has to be( at least then) the best rock drummer ever! all the songs off the born to run lp sound tight! and it also has the famous detriot medley on it which ive never had on a cd before man and im sure dr john which attest they were the best.

Yes, the ESB sounded better during the fabled Darkness on the Edge of Town tour from 1978. No complete 1978 show has been offically released yet, but check out bootleg titles like Winterland Night, Agora Night, and Roxy Night for a tight band that could play almost anything. "Prove It All Night" long version is amazing.

The rumor is that Bruce is having the footage of his July 8, 1978 Phoenix show cut together in a similar fashion as the BTR show and will release it in the future.

BUT, this BTR show is amazing and well made - love the long version of Kitty's Back!

Dr. John, do you agree with me on my assessment of the 1978 tour?

Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:49 am

The dvd of the Hammersmith Odeon show is impressive. A cd is to be released I believe in April.

I saw the boss in August '78 and it was phenomenal!

Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:13 am

no dube the cd came out i think feb 28th its out and it great dube the live cd is out his folk album is coming out in april. it has froggy went to courtin on it lol im not kidding you think i am lol

Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:31 am

Mike C wrote:BUT, this BTR show is amazing and well made - love the long version of Kitty's Back!

Yes, 100%, absolutely.

The 1978 "Darkness On The Edge of Town" tour is very likely the greatest rock and roll tour of all time.

All votes for Dylan's 1966 UK tour or the Beatles around the world in 1963-64 notwithstanding.

-----

The BTR album and tour is where he went from being Bruce Springsteen to BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN.

And how high can the bar be set, when the 1975 DVD/CD shows just how amazing he is, and yet the 1978 tour is even BETTER? Wow.

DJC

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:BUT, this BTR show is amazing and well made - love the long version of Kitty's Back!

Yes, 100%, absolutely.

The 1978 "Darkness On The Edge of Town" tour is very likely the greatest rock and roll tour of all time.

All votes for Dylan's 1966 UK tour or the Beatles around the world in 1963-64 notwithstanding.

-----

The BTR album and tour is where he went from being Bruce Springsteen to BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN.

And how high can the bar be set, when the 1975 DVD/CD shows just how amazing he is, and yet the 1978 tour is even BETTER? Wow.

DJC

I figured you'd agree with me, Doc. What is your famorite 1978 show? Personally I am torn betwenn 12/15/78 Winterland and 7/7/78 Roxy. But, for pure and joy, the 8/9/78 Agora show is oustanding, espcially you get Sherry Darling with working lyrics. One not too often mentioned is 9/9/78 from Notre Dame where even Bruce notes how fun the show was.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:40 am

The five "Darkness" radio broadcasts are awesome and essential; however, Winterland (the Winterland Night 3 CD set, to be precise) is the place to start. There are about a dozen other soundboard or audience titles that are well worth your time too. Man, what a tour.

I always felt this tour was Bruce making a statement about who he was as an artist (after the management lawsuit) and as a tribute to the death of his biggest hero, Elvis Presley. The tour honored everything Elvis meant to him.

DJC

Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:35 am

The Roxy show was the first Bruce boot I ever owned, wayyyy back around 1980 and on vinyl of course. Still love that show and the way you feel like you're right in that tiny club with Bruce and the band. There are quite a few nice sounding shows from that tour, Winterland being my favorite. The version of Because the Night from that particular show still gives me goosebumps to this day. The guitar almost sounds like it's letting out a big groan at the end after a blistering workout.

One other great show, although not anywhere near as good sound quality also happens to be the first concert (by anyone) I ever went to and to this day is still ranked as one of if not the most emotional of Bruce's career. 8/20/81 at the LA Sports Arena. I've been to hundreds of concerts since then by many artists and it still ranks as the pinnacle.

Another wonderful show that I was lucky to have attended and is available in excellent sound quality is the LA show from 10/23/99. He played The Promise which hadn't been played in years, Take 'Em as They Come which had only ever been played a couple times, a rare For You, Incident which hadn't been played often, and ended with Blinded by the Light which also was a rarity.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The five "Darkness" radio broadcasts are awesome and essential; however, Winterland (the Winterland Night 3 CD set, to be precise) is the place to start. There are about a dozen other soundboard or audience titles that are well worth your time too. Man, what a tour.

I always felt this tour was Bruce making a statement about who he was as an artist (after the management lawsuit) and as a tribute to the death of his biggest hero, Elvis Presley. The tour honored everything Elvis meant to him.

DJC

I think your take on the 1978 stour is absolutely right. Even though Bruce and the boys would play longer show during the 1980-81 tour, I always felt that the 1978 are a little more cohecive, since Bruce talked more between songs and there's an energy level that was not matched later on. Plus, the sets were absolutely perfect.

BTW, I play in a Bruce Cover band called Lost in the Flood and we do the the 1978 long version of Prove It All Night, possibly my favorite Bruce song. Check us out at http://www.lostinthefloodband.net. Maybe Bruce will see us one night and join in. :)

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:36 am

John B wrote:The Roxy show was the first Bruce boot I ever owned, wayyyy back around 1980 and on vinyl of course. Still love that show and the way you feel like you're right in that tiny club with Bruce and the band. There are quite a few nice sounding shows from that tour, Winterland being my favorite. The version of Because the Night from that particular show still gives me goosebumps to this day. The guitar almost sounds like it's letting out a big groan at the end after a blistering workout.

One other great show, although not anywhere near as good sound quality also happens to be the first concert (by anyone) I ever went to and to this day is still ranked as one of if not the most emotional of Bruce's career. 8/20/81 at the LA Sports Arena. I've been to hundreds of concerts since then by many artists and it still ranks as the pinnacle.

Another wonderful show that I was lucky to have attended and is available in excellent sound quality is the LA show from 10/23/99. He played The Promise which hadn't been played in years, Take 'Em as They Come which had only ever been played a couple times, a rare For You, Incident which hadn't been played often, and ended with Blinded by the Light which also was a rarity.

John B - what an awsome first show. I have the 8/20/81 show on boot and is very emotional. And you are so right about the Roxy show. I love it when he ad libs Heartbreak Hotel while his guitar is being tuned!

Do you have the Prodigal Son remaster of the 10/23/99 show? Another great one to have been at.
Last edited by Mike C on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:48 am

The 1981 benefit show was compiled to perfection on bootleg a few years back -- cannot recall the label, but it's as complete as possible, and comes with a mini-poster! It is indeed a VERY special evening, from the speech Bruce gives at the beginning, to the Vietnam vets sitting on the side of the stage the entire night. Bruce almost cries in the middle of his rendition of "The River"!

The 1999 Oakland shows are a personal highlight, and all three exist in great quality from ALD source.

"Darkness" tour 1978, never to be equalled or forgotten. Mike, I'll check out your site.

DJC

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:42 am

Mike, I just went to your site and listened to a couple clips ...you sure Bruce isn't already sitting in with you guys? lol Sounds GREAT! If you guys ever make it out to the Vegas area please give a heads up on the board here, I'd love to see you play.

yup I did get a hold of the Prodigal Son remaster of the 10/23/99 show, sounds almost good enough to release officially, nice job by PS on this.

drjohn, I remember that night of the Vietnam Vets show when Bruce walked out. Of course I'd never seen Bruce in person before, so naturally I thought he was 10 feet tall and indestructable. Out comes this smallish and somewhat frail looking fellow who at first I wasn't even sure was Bruce. Later I read where Bruce said that night he probably felt more nervous walking onstage than at any time before and that he felt a bit naked without a guitar to "hide" behind. He gave a short but very moving speech followed by another one from Ron Kovic. A couple members of the band later said they had tears in their eyes as they started the show.

It was one of those nights that went by in a blur. I knew I was witnessing something special but of course at the time I was just a young punk and didn't realize just HOW special. Even to this day I think back on that night and that concert and it makes me pause and take a little time to just soak up, savor and appreciate what's going on in that particular moment.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:10 am

John B wrote:Mike, I just went to your site and listened to a couple clips ...you sure Bruce isn't already sitting in with you guys? lol Sounds GREAT! If you guys ever make it out to the Vegas area please give a heads up on the board here, I'd love to see you play.

yup I did get a hold of the Prodigal Son remaster of the 10/23/99 show, sounds almost good enough to release officially, nice job by PS on this.

drjohn, I remember that night of the Vietnam Vets show when Bruce walked out. Of course I'd never seen Bruce in person before, so naturally I thought he was 10 feet tall and indestructable. Out comes this smallish and somewhat frail looking fellow who at first I wasn't even sure was Bruce. Later I read where Bruce said that night he probably felt more nervous walking onstage than at any time before and that he felt a bit naked without a guitar to "hide" behind. He gave a short but very moving speech followed by another one from Ron Kovic. A couple members of the band later said they had tears in their eyes as they started the show.

It was one of those nights that went by in a blur. I knew I was witnessing something special but of course at the time I was just a young punk and didn't realize just HOW special. Even to this day I think back on that night and that concert and it makes me pause and take a little time to just soak up, savor and appreciate what's going on in that particular moment.

John B: Thanks for your kind words! It is really fun to play with this band and our lead singer Frank is uncanny how much he sounds like Bruce. If only Bruce would sit in with us once! Perhaps, I can tempt to guys to make it out Vegas. BTW, in the pics, I am the one wearing the Elvis T-Shirt!

I only wish I could have been there with you for the Vietnam Veteran's Show.

Thanks again,
Mike C