Off Topic Messages

DVD recycling

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:46 am

Has anybody noticed that the DVD revolution has become caught in a big recycling spin lately? I mean this particularly in relation to classic movies. It seems that of late the major classic releases are upgrades of previous releases. Just March saw second dips (at least) for "Dog Day Afternoon", "All the President's Men", "Network", "The Ten Commandments", "Stalag 17", "The Man Who Knew Too Much" among others. Now I don't mind seeing upgrades for pieces that were just dumped on DVD in their initial incarnation like "The Controversial Classics Collection" or the upcoming John Wayne upgrades. However, it's frustrating to see an exact replica of "The Man Who Knew Too Much" or an upgrade of a movie like "The Magnificent Seven" that already had a very respectable special edition while stuff like "Jesse James" (1939), "Ace in the Hole/The Big Carnival", "The Lodger" (1944), the original "Kid Galahad", "Not of This Earth", "Notorious" (apparently out but pulled), "Double Indemnity" (same as "Notorious") "Julius Caesar" 1953, "The Wild River", "Brother Orchid", "Elvis on Tour" etc. still sit in the vaults.

With current films, it's even worse with something like "Spin City" at three incarnations and it's not even a year old.

Can't we wait until the majority of classics hit the streets until we start reissuing?

Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:49 pm

You raise some interesting points.

The only double I did on a film so far is "Rebel Without A Cause". Soon " Cat On A Hot Tin Roof". I have to really want the extra content / improved picture to upgrade.

Just today I purchased Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever SE.
I stayed away from the old versions, because in light of the explosion of re-releases, I have learned to wait. In my opinion the major studios have their own agenda and the evolution is very interesting to look at.

A lot of films got released on DVD, when DVD wasn't really popular yet and the titles turned out barebones. And obviously the technology wasn't as improved yet. Also extras. Today most customers / collectors love those bonus features. Good business sense, but still a cruel trick.

And as far I can tell most studios most likely upgrade popular films, that have already been released and turn the product into box sets, a diffrent set with something collectable like a Planet Of The Apes plastic head or something, simply covering all angles.

And then there are still thousands of unreleased titles in the vaults. Sometimes they want to release, but can't, because of legal issues / rights. But there are always titles in the pipeline I am really looking forward to, so I guess I can't complain.

And don't get me started on HD / Blue-Ray.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:14 pm

Melanie wrote:And don't get me started on HD / Blue-Ray.
At least the new machines will play those "OLD" DVDs! :)

Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:46 pm

I had noticed that, too. But consider it a way that they keep these titles in print, or in stock. We often suggest they do the same thing with Elvis' classic original album catalog.

I was about to grab a $5.99 version of BULLETT and then noticed that there's a SE double disc set that's newer.

Another tip off are those older (cheaper?) style of cases (my TTWII original and SE versions both come in it.

I just hope the DVD thing keeps rolling. I 'm thrilled to have what feels like close to having a real "print" at my disposal of all my movie and TV favorites.

It's a degree of control I remember being excited about when I first heard about someone who had bought a VCR...

That said, we've lost the common experience of tuning in to a show or movie en masse.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:17 pm

As long as the customers will keep buying those upgraded DVD:s they will be flooding the market.

I´m prolly a minority here, but I still havent watched the extra DVD:s (among others) of the Lord of the ring series (none of the 3).

I´m just in it for the fun...Sometimes it might even spoil the fun to get to see how the trick is done...Like the spider in TLR...

Then again...It might be really interesting to hear a story about how something was done in the movie...

Over all...I dont care for the extras that much.. :D

Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:50 am

I don't mind the double dip if they add something.

Dog Day Afternoon had ZILCH before in regrard to extras, so a nice new two disc set is welcome.

Now it is when you have a movie that gets the double dip and they cut commentary...DTS track(this makes me very very angry :evil: :evil: ) as a cash in, well that just sucks.