Off Topic Messages

What's New Pussycat?

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:59 pm

CNN reported Tom Jones knighted on Wednesday. The report said a "contemporary" of Elvis Presley!
Last edited by Juan Luis on Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:09 pm

Now that I see that you don't mean the motion picture staring my favorite comedian Peter Sellers, I can't answer. I flat out refuse to comment on a guy, who once was a friend of Elvis and has never said anything bad about him. Or did he?

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:15 pm

I heard he did say some things. But as for me I saw him with Carson or Letterman once, and on the Echo Will Never Die video, and he was cool there.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:50 pm

Melanie wrote:Now that I see that you don't mean the motion picture staring my favorite comedian Peter Sellers, I can't answer. I flat out refuse to comment on a guy, who once was a friend of Elvis and has never said anything bad about him. Or did he?

He's blown hot and cold about Elvis over the years !

They were friends, but I reckon Tom has always envied Elvis' loyal fan base and fame.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:21 pm

Jones rarely completes an interview without mentioning Elvis, and rarely mentions Elvis without sneaking in something negative or misleading. Colin is right. The man is jealous. He's a tool.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:36 pm

TJ wrote:He's a tool.
That's Sir Tool! :lol:

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:56 pm

JLGB wrote:
TJ wrote:He's a tool.
That's Sir Tool! :lol:

:lol: lmao good one~!

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:40 am

Last edited by violets on Tue May 09, 2006 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:55 am

Tom remains a great singer and entertainer, and Elvis loved and admired him very much. If you don't think Jones had a influence -- both good and bad -- on Elvis from 1968 on, you don't know much about Presley.

DJC

Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:49 am

That's true! Trust the Doc. Elvis couldn't even swivvle his hips until Tom Jones showed him how; and Elvis never sang a good song until Tom Jones gave him some hand-me-down tunes.
:lol:

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Tom remains a great singer and entertainer, and Elvis loved and admired him very much. If you don't think Jones had a influence -- both good and bad -- on Elvis from 1968 on, you don't know much about Presley.

DJC

I think that's probably true. But being a tool doesn't stop him being a good singer or having some influence on Elvis. When you see his antics on the UK chat show circuit, it's difficult not to form a negative opinion of the man. His anecdotes are so often innocuous on the surface, but with that hint of poison. It's all very transparent and unfortunate.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:40 am

So now we've got Sir Thomas of Wales to go with Sir Elton the John & Sir Precipice Dick !

What a load of.................

Yes, Tom has been [& still is] a good singer.

After Elvis' not-so-hot Vegas debut in '56, he must surely have decided never to return.

What he learned from Tom Jones was that a credible chart act could do Vegas in the 60's/70's and get away with it.

He didn't actually learn anything about stage craft or singing from him.

He knew all that already !

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:51 pm

It was like the Beatles and Dylan . Lennon (with Beatles) was influenced by Dylan whom later was influenced by The Beatles. Tom Jones was doing Elvis, and later Elvis was doing Tom doing him!

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:37 pm

"I think that's probably true. But being a tool doesn't stop him being a good singer or having some influence on Elvis. When you see his antics on the UK chat show circuit, it's difficult not to form a negative opinion of the man. His anecdotes are so often innocuous on the surface, but with that hint of poison. It's all very transparent and unfortunate".

When, where and what did Tom Jones say ?

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:48 pm

ColinB wrote:So now we've got Sir Thomas of Wales to go with Sir Elton the John & Sir Precipice Dick !

What a load of.................

Now now Colin. Don't know about Jones, but it's long been established that Elton and Dick go together.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:49 pm

I tried to google some "mean" comments, but to no avail.

On contactmusic.com I found the following articles.

SINATRA CONTRACT RUINED JONES/PRESLEY TV DUET

Tom Jones missed the chance to perform on TV with his pal Elvis Presley, because of a contract The King had with Frank Sinatra. Jones asked Elvis to appear on his hit TV show many times, and Presley was keen to duet with the Welshman - but he'd signed a contract forbidding him to appear on any show before returning for a Sinatra special. The 63-year-old singer explains, "Colonel Parker (Elvis' manager) wouldn't let him do it. Elvis wanted to do it, but apparently when he did the Frank Sinatra Show in 1960 he'd signed a contract saying that he wouldn't do guest spots on TV until he'd done another Sinatra show. He didn't want to sing with Sinatra again. Well, that's what he told me anyway."

also

JONES ASTOUNDED TO BE SERENADED BY PRESLEY

Tom Jones was dumbstruck when he heard Elvis Presley singing one of his songs - especially as he was only just starting out in the music business at the time. The star subsequently struck up a friendship with Presley in the 1960s, which lasted until Presley's untimely death in 1977. But the moment Presley serenaded Jones when he was a struggling new singer is etched onto the Welsh singer's memory. Jones recalls, "I walked over to a sound stage and there he was, walking towards me, singing With The Hands, which was my first single. I thought, Jesus Christ this is my first year in the business and here comes Elvis Presley singing my song. It was mind-boggling - the year before I was skint."

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:59 pm

Ezzz wrote:"I think that's probably true. But being a tool doesn't stop him being a good singer or having some influence on Elvis. When you see his antics on the UK chat show circuit, it's difficult not to form a negative opinion of the man. His anecdotes are so often innocuous on the surface, but with that hint of poison. It's all very transparent and unfortunate".

When, where and what did Tom Jones say ?

He's said countless things. One of the recent examples is when he relished telling the story of how Elvis approached him after a show and said "Why do you hit the high notes? I let my backing singers hit mine." Tom then took great delight in explaining how Elvis would stand there with mouth open, faking hitting the notes. It wasn't just an innocent anecdote. It was a malicious anecdote, designed to make Elvis look ridiculous and Tom look good in comparison. You'd probably have to see the clip to understand why it was so nauseating. Thanks to Tom, any non-fan watching would have assumed that was standard practice for Elvis on stage, not just something he did occasionally when his voice was tired.

Ok, not the end of the world, but bloody sneaky and underhand behaviour. I've lost count of the amount of times he's told the 'pizza on an exercise bike' story. That's the kind of crap that, more often than not, Tom Jones chooses to share. He has on occasion spoken in more glowing terms about Elvis, but the norm is to dig out a story that portrays Elvis as an idiot. It's bloody pathetic and I'm sick of the man.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:38 pm

Melanie wrote: I tried to google some "mean" comments, but to no avail.

On contactmusic.com I found the following articles.

SINATRA CONTRACT RUINED JONES/PRESLEY TV DUET

Tom Jones missed the chance to perform on TV with his pal Elvis Presley, because of a contract The King had with Frank Sinatra. Jones asked Elvis to appear on his hit TV show many times, and Presley was keen to duet with the Welshman - but he'd signed a contract forbidding him to appear on any show before returning for a Sinatra special. The 63-year-old singer explains, "Colonel Parker (Elvis' manager) wouldn't let him do it. Elvis wanted to do it, but apparently when he did the Frank Sinatra Show in 1960 he'd signed a contract saying that he wouldn't do guest spots on TV until he'd done another Sinatra show. He didn't want to sing with Sinatra again. Well, that's what he told me anyway."

That's insanely stupid of a deal. That had no expiration date? No deadline to free Elvis??????? As if by a deadline of Dec. 31, 1963....Elvis hasn't reunited with Sinatra...then Elvis can go duet with someone else.

Didn't ol Blue Eyes didn't know about Elvis and Charlie Hodge singing together on Aloha! Stupid Parker deals.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:17 pm

ColinB wrote:He didn't actually learn anything about stage craft or singing from him.

Actually, you're mistaken.

When Elvis caught Tom in concert, he appreciated -- and, most ironically, appropriated -- some of what Jones had learned from the Presley persona.

And it seems clear that some of that dynamic, otherworldly singing in June 1968 was directly due to Presley seeing what Jones had done since Elvis abandoned the stage. For that we should all be greatful, as Elvis took it to another level -- making perhaps the very greatest rock and roll ever recorded.

Post-1968 there are numerous live and studio examples -- some excellent, some poor -- of Elvis aping the Jones style, instead of using his own God-given talents. We all know the reasons for this.

For the truth-challenged, I apologize for shattering your illusions.

DJC

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote:He didn't actually learn anything about stage craft or singing from him.

Actually, you're mistaken.

When Elvis caught Tom in concert, he appreciated -- and, most ironically, appropriated -- some of what Jones had learned from the Presley persona.
DJC

Well, alright then, seeing Tom Jones in action reminded Elvis of what could be done on stage !

But he started it in the first place.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:28 pm

Compare the stage mannerisms and vocal style and technique of Elvis post-68 to:

1) Tom Jones

and

2) Elvis pre-61.

That Jones had a substantial influence on the Presley vocal style and performance post-68 is evident to anyone with an eye and an ear. That Presley redefined and reinvented this style and subsequently took it to an entirely different level is equally obvious.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:54 pm

1970 TTWII Elvis is not greater because of the Tom Jones "thing" in my opinion.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:57 pm

I think Tom Jones is a GREAT singer.

If anyone has the video "This Is Tom Jones" which has segments taken from his 1969/70 TV shows, you will realise how great Tom was back then.

Some of those 'soul' numbers he did were amazing, and the ballads proved he could hit notes others couldnt or wouldnt even try.

Every interview i have seen Tom Jones have, he always mentioned Elvis and never seems to get bored talking about him.He has told some fasinating stories and if they upset some Elvis fans cause they might have negative comments well i dont think it would bother him.They were friends but not close cause i think there was too much of a clash of egos but Tom has always made it clear how much he admired Elvis.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:47 am

:) Well with my latest rose catalogue offering me a 2005 rose called 'sir cliff richard'(pink!) :shock: and sir Elton i guess 'it's NOT unusual' that it's now turn for Sir Tom Jones! :lol:

Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:12 pm

YDKM wrote::) Well with my latest rose catalogue offering me a 2005 rose called 'sir cliff richard'(pink!) :shock: and sir Elton i guess 'it's NOT unusual' that it's now turn for Sir Tom Jones! :lol:

Just fancy !

Roses named after pansies !

Guess that rules out Tom !