Off Topic Messages

Sad news from Hollywood

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:36 pm

LOS ANGELES - Richard Fleischer, who directed several memorable films from sci-fi classics such as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea to war movies as Tora! Tora! Tora!, has died. He was 89.

"Fleischer died Saturday of natural causes at the Motion Picture and Television Hospital in Woodland Hills, said his son, Mark.

"Mark Fleischer said he remembered his father as a gentle man who always put family first.

""My parents made a great effort to insulate their children from the craziness of Hollywood," he said. "They made sure our lives were as normal as possible."

"The director's father, Max Fleischer, and his uncles Dave and Louis, pioneered animated shorts in New York, starting in 1920 with the innovative "Out of the Inkwell" series. In the 1930s, they became rivals to Walt Disney with their popular Betty Boop and Popeye the Sailor comedy shorts.

"A quiet-spoken but firm-minded director, Richard Fleischer never achieved the recognition of his more flamboyant contemporaries, but his name was on a wide variety of well-known films, including Fantastic Voyage; Doctor Dolittle; The Boston Strangler; Che!; The New Centurions; Soylent Green; Mr. Majestyk; Mandingo; Conan the Destroyer and Red Sonja."

Tom

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:40 pm

Sorry to hear this. The man did some great work. Tora! Tora! Tora! was absolutely fabulous, and will always remain one of my favorite movies.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:56 pm

KHoots wrote:Sorry to hear this. The man did some great work. Tora! Tora! Tora! was absolutely fabulous, and will always remain one of my favorite movies.

Mine too, can't wait for this:

ImageThe two-disc SE of Tora! Tora! Tora!, due to street on May 23rd, will carry a widescreen presentation, along with English Dolby Surround track. Extras include an audio commentary by director Richard Fleischer and Japanese film historian Stewart Galbraith, a Day of Infamy documentary, various Movietone News features (The 1st Pictures of the Attack, Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941, Now It Can Be Shown, A Year of War Since Pearl Harbor, War with Japan, U.S Declares War on Japan, 1st Pictures of Attack on Japan Islands, Jap Cities Were Bombed By U.S. Army Planes, President Honors ""Jimmy"" Dolittle For Raid on Japan, War Reports Of The United Nations, and Doolittle's Raiders, Who Bombed Tokyo, Mark Anniversary), and the trailers.

Tom

Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:31 pm

Living well until the ripe age of 89 is not a terribly sad thing. And his film legacy is a gift to us all.

DJC

Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:49 pm

Excellant point, Doc. Why does everyone give you such a hard time?

Tom

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:36 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:Why does everyone give you such a hard time?

I know so much, but I cannot answer that question ...

Humbly yours,
DJC

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: I know so much, but I cannot answer that question ...

Humbly yours,
DJC

Well here's a question I could answer that the Doc doesn't know the answer to!!!! :wink:

8)

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:25 am

But if GG was here he could answer it so much more eloquently !!!

:P

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Living well until the ripe age of 89 is not a terribly sad thing. And his film legacy is a gift to us all.

DJC

What does age have to do with being sad over someone's death?

WHOOOSH...yet another from the "Scholar"

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:22 am

genesim wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Living well until the ripe age of 89 is not a terribly sad thing. And his film legacy is a gift to us all.

DJC

What does age have to do with being sad over someone's death?

WHOOOSH...yet another from the "Scholar"

I think you missed the word "terribly".

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:47 am

Are you gonna start stalking me like Jerry?

I didn't miss anything. It was a memorial, and as usual Doc has nothing nice to say. It as if some of us are out of place for being sad?

What if it was your grandfather?

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:54 am

I'll be terribly sad and then I would think wow he made to 89, not bad not bad. More questions?

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:09 am

Yeah...are your lips getting chapped yet?

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:10 am

I don't know what chapped means, sorry. We will ask your mother sure she knows.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:20 am

chapped; chap┬Ěping
Etymology: Middle English chappen; akin to Middle Dutch cappen to cut down
intransitive senses : to open in cracks, slits, or chinks; also : to become cracked, roughened, or reddened especially by the action of wind or cold <hands often chap in winter>
transitive senses : to cause to chap <wind-chapped lips>

Or in your case..from kissing Doc's ass.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:23 am

hahaha thanks for letting me know.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:31 am

Fransesc,

I like you. Even though you burn me at every turn, you stay civilized at least. Sharp and direct. I like that.

As for my mother...I haven't talked to her in any real way for over 20 years, and it is likely to stay that way.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:15 am

genesim wrote:As for my mother...I haven't talked to her in any real way for over 20 years, and it is likely to stay that way.

Much to her relief, I'm sure.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:19 am

elvissessions.com wrote:
genesim wrote:As for my mother...I haven't talked to her in any real way for over 20 years, and it is likely to stay that way.

Much to her relief, I'm sure.

Now that's a very nice comment to make elvissessions!!!

:roll:

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:27 am

Hey Sam..at least we know our mothers!

For elvissessions a 2 dollar whore and a quart of whiskey seemed to be his claim to fame.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:28 am

:lol:

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:32 am

Sam,

My dad had a saying, you play with sh*t and you get some on you. With that, I am getting out of this mess.

I appreciate your support along with others. I truly mean that.

My anger comes mostly from the passing(a.k.a. possibly being banned) of a intelligent, entertaining poster.

He might have been blunt, but I appreciated his honesty.

I hope GG gets to come back someday.
Last edited by genesim on Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:35 am

I'm with you Geno. !!!

8)

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:11 am

genesim wrote:Fransesc,

I like you. Even though you burn me at every turn, you stay civilized at least. Sharp and direct. I like that.

:wink:

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:46 am

Guys, give it a rest. I posted this news about a great director passing on and you have perverted it into an immature cat fight. Knock that sh*t off and grow the F@#* UP!!!

Tom