Off Topic Messages

Ron Ely's Tarzan on DVD??

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:09 am

Does anyone know if or when they are gonna release the fantastic 60's/70's Tarzan starring Ron Ely on DVD??
As far as i know, it has never been shown on the cable channels in the UK.

You can get the complete series from private sellers but im not sure if the quality will be great.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:24 am

I don't know Sean. I'd like to see a collection of the Jock Mahoney and Mike Henry Tarzan films. I'd also like to see the 6 Johnny Weissmuller did for RKO studios get a dvd release. Lex Barker and Gordon Scott each made a bunch, those too should be released. Scott's last two Tarzan films took the character out of the broken english bit, and are considered the best after Weissmuller's best MGM efforts.

I watched the Ron Ely tv show, but I don't remember much about it.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:59 am

Sean,
I loved the Ely series as a kid. In fact, in several polls, he was voted the best Tarzan ever. Now, I don't know that I would ever choose him over Weissmuller, but he was good. I made a couple of calls and as of right now there are no plans to put the 57 episodes of the series on DVD. That, of course, is subject to change as more and more older series are being dusted off, cleaned up and released on DVD.

Tom

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:45 am

Tom -
Gotta link to those polls? It surprises me that Ron Ely's Tarzan was so popular.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:10 am

Pete,
These were polls in some of the trades that coincided with the release of Disney's Tarzan back in '99 or so.

Tom

Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:50 pm

Thanks guys,
I love watching Johnny Weissmuller who i would put as the No.1 Tarzan of all time but i have great memories of watching Ron Ely as Tarzan.

I remember seeing the young boy 'Jai' in one of the first episodes of Happy Days playing a hoodlum.

In the Ron Ely Tarzan, i recall when someone got stuck in quicksand and they slowly went under.I still get nightmares about that. :lol:

I will have to get the series online till they released it,if they ever do.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:57 pm

It's been buggin' me as to why I couldn't remember much about the Ron Ely Tarzan series. I recall watching it when it originally aired back in '66, but I don't think I watched it regularly, which is strange as I was a big Tarzan fan. Then it hit me: My dad didn't like the show. He simply would not accept anyone but Weissmuller as Tarzan, and he never liked the Tarzans who spoke regular English. In particular he didn't like Ely, who he thought was too lean. He controlled the tv back in those days, so that explains why I don't remember much about the show. I just didn't get to watch it very often, and when I did my dad would just rip it.

I hope they do release this show on dvd so I can see if it was any good.

But I still would like to see the other Tarzan films released.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:06 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Then it hit me: My dad didn't like the show. He simply would not accept anyone but Weissmuller as Tarzan, and he never liked the Tarzans who spoke regular English.

My dad was the exact same way. I watched the show in reruns and my dad would just kinda "humphhhhh" and keep walking. He then took me to a Weissmuller Tarzan film festival and I was hooked. The other problem was that in sindication, the Ely Tarzan was sometimes cut from an hour to 30 minutes, leaving plot holes big enough to drive an elephant thru.

Tom

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:11 pm

Ever notice how most Tarzans are set in the dark thick noisy moist verdant jungle with vines and such, but Ron Ely's was set in the dry brush plains, where jeeps could zoom around. A topographical difference.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:17 pm

Jesse Garon wrote:Ever notice how most Tarzans are set in the dark thick noisy moist verdant jungle with vines and such, but Ron Ely's was set in the dry brush plains, where jeeps could zoom around. A topographical difference.

And a financial one as well. It's much, much cheaper to shoot in Mexico, than Africa.

Tom

Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:52 pm

I also liked that Ely Tarzan when I was a kid. I thought he had a great Tarzan yell or call. I found out later that it was Weismuller's recording used. And Chita was the same original chimp.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:14 am

I was a huge fan of the show as a kid. Ron Ely's tarzan and the Batman show were my two absolute faves. I also loved the Tarzan films, particularly those with Weissmuller and Gordon Scott. I'll definitely have to get the series on DVD if it comes out.

Sean, I remember the quicksand too. It could be my memory playing tricks on me, but didn't that happen almost every week? :lol:

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:35 am

Loved the series with Ely.........but Johhny's portrayal still rules.

BTW..........I saw the grave of Elmo Lincoln in the Hollywood Forever Cemetary in L.a. last week. Image

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:13 pm

TJ wrote:I was a huge fan of the show as a kid. Ron Ely's tarzan and the Batman show were my two absolute faves. I also loved the Tarzan films, particularly those with Weissmuller and Gordon Scott. I'll definitely have to get the series on DVD if it comes out.

Sean, I remember the quicksand too. It could be my memory playing tricks on me, but didn't that happen almost every week? :lol:

haha.Yeah it did happen quite a few times.To a point that i used to wait for it to happen. :lol:

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:41 pm

When I was a kid my hometown library had a book I loved about the Tarzan films. It was called Tarzan of the Movies, and it covered all the films/Tarzans from Elmo Lincoln to Ron Ely's tv show. An enjoyable book!

Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:23 pm

Pete Dube wrote:

I'd also like to see the 6 Johnny Weissmuller did for RKO studios get a dvd release

Hi Pete, I have been meaning to buy the JW Tazan films which are out on DVD in one set on regions 1 & 2.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 84-4155901

Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:42 am

garry100 wrote:Pete Dube wrote:

I'd also like to see the 6 Johnny Weissmuller did for RKO studios get a dvd release

Hi Pete, I have been meaning to buy the JW Tazan films which are out on DVD in one set on regions 1 & 2.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 84-4155901

Great set, but those are the MGM ones. The 6 that followed were the RKO ones that Pete was referring to. Thanks for the link though. Think I'll get that set :)
Last edited by TJ on Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:22 am

Gary100 -
T.J. is correct. I was referring to the 6 Tarzan films Weissmuller did for RKO: Tarzan Triumphs; Tarzan's Desert Mystery; Tarzan and the Huntress; Tarzan and the Leopard Women; Tarzan and the Amazons; Tarzan and the Mermaids.

I got the MGM set when it first came out, it's a great set.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:15 pm

Ok guys thats cool 8) I think I'll have to brush up on my Tarzan a bit more :lol:

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:08 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Gary100 -
T.J. is correct. I was referring to the 6 Tarzan films Weissmuller did for RKO: Tarzan Triumphs; Tarzan's Desert Mystery; Tarzan and the Huntress; Tarzan and the Leopard Women; Tarzan and the Amazons; Tarzan and the Mermaids.

I got the MGM set when it first came out, it's a great set.

Found mine on ebay also Tarzan Triumphs,Tarzan's Desert Mystery,
http://www.magnapacific.com.au