Off Topic Messages

Phil Spector - Must See

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:22 am

I just stumbled onto this picture of Phil Spector in court from last year. I had to post it here.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:51 am

He sure is different.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:03 pm

Wow.

At the time of the trial several newspaper reports mentioned that he had worked with Elvis and it almost always sounded as if he was one of his most important producers.

-----------------------
Phil Spector and Elvis

By: Piers Beagley - May 17, 2003
Source: Elvis.com.au

Phil Spector wrote and produced some of the most important recordings of all time, including the classic "You've Lost That Lovin Feeling". Last week he was charged with the murder of actress Lana Clarkson after her body was discovered at his mansion. Spector not only produced for The Beatles but also produced some of Elvis’ demos during the 1960s.

Spector was a good friend of writer Doc Pomus (18 Elvis compositions "Little Sister", "Viva Las Vegas" & "His Latest Flame" etc) producing some of his demos for Elvis. One of these, "Night Rider", had such a complex arrangement that Elvis & the band tackled it on 2 separate recording sessions never achieving a satisfactory Master.

Phil Spector's & Elvis lives were linked in several other ways.

In 1972 Spector introduced Elvis to his own bodyguard Mike Stone who, like Elvis, was interested in martial arts. Stone would later become Priscilla's karate instructor and their affair would help lead to Priscilla & Elvis’ divorce in 1973.

Singer Darlene Love was the lead singer of Spector's The Crystals before becoming part of The Blossoms who worked with Elvis on the '68 Comeback Special. She sang the beautiful lead vocal on the gospel song 'Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child'.

Phil Spector was famous for his 'Wall Of Sound' producing defining pop classics such as The Ronettes 'Be My Baby', The Crystals "He's A Rebel', Ike and Tina Turner's 'River Deep Mountain High' as well as John Lennon's 'Imagine'. Several of Spector's "Wall Of Sound" musicians also worked with Elvis including super-drummer Hal Blaine & guitarist Barney Kessel.

Spector has been quoted as saying that Elvis sometimes used his Spector-produced demo backing-tracks, with Elvis just providing a new vocal, rather than re-record them with his own band. While Elvis may have expressed this desire there is no proof that this ever actually occurred. Whatever the truth, Phil Spector is certainly the only producer with links between Elvis and also The Beatles.

Phil Spector was a huge Elvis fan who once said, "Elvis is sensational. He can do anything with his voice. He can sing anything you want him to, anyway you tell him. The unquestionable King of Rock'n'Roll."

His IMDB profile:

Elvis Presley's '68 Comeback Special (1968) (TV) (producer)

Can anyone elaborate on that last bit of info?

Re: Phil Spector - Must See

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:10 pm

KHoots wrote:I just stumbled onto this picture of Phil Spector in court from last year. I had to post it here.

On his way to court, he drove thru a car wash and left his top down !

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:16 pm

Definitely the best "white man's 'fro" I've ever seen.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:34 am

He looks fine to me.

In less enlightened times (back in the early '70s) Spector claimed to have produced the 'Elvis Is Back!' LP. This is not true, of course, because I did.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:54 am

Wow! It looks like his hair has a hard on, or he stuck his finger in a electric socket!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:53 pm

Maybe the hair is going to form part of a temporary insanity defence :wink:

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:00 pm

Perhaps Spector was showing the woman his new gun, she accidently pulled the trigger, Spector ducked, the bullet ricocheted off his barnet, onto a Gold disc on the back wall and into the woman's back? Nothing more than a freak accident ???

Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:29 pm

Melanie wrote:One of these, "Night Rider", had such a complex arrangement that Elvis & the band tackled it on 2 separate recording sessions never achieving a satisfactory Master.

No, the 1962 master recording was deemed OK for release. And both the 1961 and 1962 performances are excellent. It's doubtful Spector created any other demos that made it to an Elvis session.

Melanie wrote:In 1972 Spector introduced Elvis to his own bodyguard Mike Stone ...

False. Elvis met Stone in Hawaii in 1968.

Melanie wrote:Whatever the truth, Phil Spector is certainly the only producer with links between Elvis and also The Beatles

False. For starters, Chips Moman worked with Elvis (1969) and Ringo (1987).

Melanie wrote:His IMDB profile: Elvis Presley's '68 Comeback Special (1968) (TV) (producer)

Spector had nothing to do with this program.

Trust the doc!

DJC

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:44 pm

I know Spector is one of the most talented producers ever. But why oh why did he have to steal from John Lennon the tapes from his Rock'n'Roll album? And why did he have to add those strings that pissed off macca in The long and winding road?

Javier

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:02 pm

javilu wrote:I know Spector is one of the most talented producers ever. But why oh why did he have to steal from John Lennon the tapes from his Rock'n'Roll album? And why did he have to add those strings that pissed off macca in The long and winding road? Javier

All I can figure is that people with a propensity for bad hair tend to act that way.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:32 pm

Doc, your valuable input is appreciated.

Piers might want to change those parts in his article.

I reported the profile error to the IMDb editors, explaining why the credit ought to be deleted, refering to http://www.elvis.com/news/images/68_spe ... redits.pdf
The updates will be examined and, if approved, will normally appear on the site within 2-4 weeks.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:53 pm

Maybe the guy simply don´t have a comb at his home.......

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:07 am

Melanie wrote:Doc, your valuable input is appreciated.

You're most welcome, Melanie. I do what I can.

DJC

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:23 am

Well Chips worked with an ex Beatle but Spector worked with The Beatles. :)

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:36 am

Spector and Lennon were a very viable team for most of the early 1970s. Neither one really had their heart in "Rock and Roll".

Spector did not ruin "Long and Winding Road". It was a dead song to begin with. McCartney hated Spector's strings more out of spite than anything else. As with his work with Lennon and later Harrison, Spector knew how to get out of the way when the occasion called for it. A track like "Two of Us" he pretty much left alone.

According to Ernst, Elvis used little of Spector's demo on "Night Rider" which even on a demo was reportedly an extravaganza. Perhaps he wanted to hook Elvis in a direct working relationship.

Spector also almost wound up writing soundtrack songs for "Blue Hawaii". However, he was under contract to Leiber and Stoller's Trio Music and made an agreement with Hill and Range to do the soundtrack songs behind their back. When they found out about it, the deal blew up.

Spector's work is enough to stand on its own without any association with Elvis or the Beatles. However, reportedly he has been near the verge of insanity for years. When the most recent incident came up Dee Dee Ramone commented that it was only a matter of time until Spector shot someone. It's tragic.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

likethebike wrote:
Spector did not ruin "Long and Winding Road". It was a dead song to begin with. McCartney hated Spector's strings more out of spite than anything else.
It went to #1... not bad for a dead song. And McCartney has grown fond of the strings over the years.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:46 pm

A lot of dead songs have hit #1 over the years.

It's interesting to hear of McCartney lightening up on the strings. I think in 1970 Spector could have done the reincarnation of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" on the song and McCartney would have hated it.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:35 am

For all his legendary status, Spector also (spitefully?) reported to Jerry Hopkins in 1970 that Elvis "sang directly over one of his demos", as I recall.

Somehow, we must look toward the good that the brought into the music world - and not the bad. :shock:

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:37 am

I doubt Spector ever said anything spitefully about Elvis. He worshipped Elvis. Maybe it was boastfully.

Was that in the Hopkins 1970 book? I don't remember it. Thankfully it's coming back into print.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:43 am

Yes, it was in the '70 book. Someone discussed this recently here.

In my copy, it's on page 260, in the "Homecoming" chapter. Spector discusses the demo process used with Elvis (with singers like P.J. Proby, etc.).

At one point he says:

" "People you'd call in, say 'Sing like Elvis Presley." And they'd do it. Then you stood a much better chance of getting Elvis to record it, because he always followed the demonstration records. If there was a lick or a riff that appealed to him, he wanted it in the record. In fact, many times - and this is not supposed to be known - many times he would use the demonstration track, the track that was cut in New York, and just sing over it. And that's what was released as Presley's new single." Far out, right?"

Hopkins unfortunately takes this claim at face value. I think it was Ernst Jorgensen who debunked this one-off claim as well.

I'm glad it's coming back into print. Despite some gaffes, it stands up very well.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:50 am

Greg -

I read once, in my sister's teen magazine, that a guy who constantly changes his hairstyle is in dire need of mothering.

Wonder if it applies to avatars too ?

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:57 am

I'm inspired by now rarely-present FECCer Rockin' Rebel, who used to change colors weekly. I go through phases, Colin. My upbringing was fine, thank you. :lol:

I also wanted a visual cue about America's debate over the Mexican border, immigration policy, etc. :lol: It's all over the news here.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:58 am

Man, that guys hair is :shock: big.