Off Topic Messages

Legacy Plans Ambitious Orbison Reissue Series

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:34 am

Legacy Plans Ambitious Orbison Reissue Series
Roy Orbison

February 17, 2006, 4:20 PM ET
Rock Hall Plans Special Exhibit
Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.
Sony BMG's Legacy Recordings label is embarking on a two-year campaign that will see virtually everything Roy Orbison ever recorded released. At the same time, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum will curate a special exhibit with the help of the late rock'n'roll icon's family.

Legacy's campaign got underway with the Feb. 7 reissue of "Black & White Night," a 1987 star-studded concert that originally aired as an HBO/Cinemax special. The concert famously saw Orbison backed by the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Bonnie Raitt and k.d. lang, among others.

Quick on its heels will be the March 28 release of the career-spanning, two-disc compilation, "The Essential Roy Orbison." The collection will pull together a total of 40 tracks that originally appeared on Sun, Monument, Virgin, MGM, Warner Bros., Mercury and Def Jam labels, reaching back as far as 1956.

Among the highlights are the early rockabilly cuts "Ooby Dooby" and "Rock House" and such classics as "Blue Bayou," "Only the Lonely," "Oh, Pretty Woman" and "Crying."

This year alone, Legacy will reissue Orbison's entire Sun and Monument catalogs. Titles from the Jewel, MGM and Virgin catalogs will follow. Plans include a remastered version of Orbison's final studio album, 1989's "Mystery Girl" and a DualDisc edition the 1992 Virgin set "King Of Hearts," both originally released by Virgin. The latter posthumous album utilized Orbison's final vocal recordings and was highlighted by a duet with lang on "Crying" that won a Grammy for best country vocal collaboration.

On April 18, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland will open its Orbison exhibit, which will focus on the artist's career and his contribution to the American songbook. Orbison's family has loaned such artifacts as handwritten lyrics, rare records, stage clothing, business documents and photographs to the gallery display. Orbison was inducted into the Rock Hall in 1987.

Supported by his widow, Barbara Orbison, a movement to commemorate the artist with an official U.S. postage stamp has taken off in recent weeks thanks to a bevy of media reports. An online petition had, at deadline, logged nearly 12,000 signatures.

Here is "The Essential Roy Orbison" track list:

DISC 1:
1. Ooby Dooby
2. Go! Go! Go! (Down The Line)
3. Rock House
4. Uptown
5. Only The Lonely
6. Blue Angel
7. I'm Hurtin'
8. Love Hurts
9. Running Scared
10. Lana
11. Crying
12. Candy Man
13. Blue Bayou
14. Dream Baby
15. Crowd, The
16. Leah
17. Working For The Man
18. Falling
19. In Dreams
20. Dream
21. Mean Woman Blues
22. Pretty Paper
23. It's Over

DISC 2:
1. Oh, Pretty Woman
2. Goodnight
3. (Say) You're My Girl
4. Ride Away
5. Crawling Back
6. Too Soon To Know
7. Walk On
8. That Lovin' You Feelin' Again - (featuring Emmylou Harris)
9. Coming Home
10. In Dreams - (re-recording)
11. You Got It
12. California Blue
13. She's A Mystery To Me
14. Only One, The
15. Not Alone Any More - (featuring Traveling Wilburys)
16. I Drove All Night
17. Claudette - (live)
18. (All I Can Do Is) Dream You - (live)
19. Comedians, The - (live)
20. You May Feel Me Crying
21. Wild Hearts Run Out Of TIme
22. Life Fades Away

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1002034921

Why doesn't Elvis get this kind of treatment. It's the same label. :evil:

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 am

Maybe because his albums have been released before. It's good to hear this even though I have all of Orbison's Monument and Sun stuff on the Bear Family Box and a ton of Edsel's MGM re-releases. This is an odd move in some ways as the market for CDs and catalogue CDs especially is dying out. Maybe the Edsels sold well and they saw that. Elvis, aside though, it has been a generally historically respectful label.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:25 am

I'm considering the Bear Family box. Is it worth the money. How is the sound compared to other releases?

Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:47 am

Claus, I remember playing "Lana" on a jukebox in a restaurant in the 1960s.

Saw Roy Orbison sing at a nightclub circa 1974. What a voice!

Will be nice to see his stuff get attention again.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:46 pm

I paid about $90 for it and for that price it was definitely worth it. The sound is absolutely amazing and the hardcover book is terrific with a great text by Colin Escott, more pictures of Roy (including cool pics with the Beatles and Little Peggy March) than I've ever seen and a selection of record sleeves and very detailed session info (Scotty Moore plays on several of the sessions.). Plus, there's a lot of music here. These CDs are filled. It's not like there's any 40 minute jobs here like there is on Atlantic's Ray Charles collection. Three of the CDs are over 70 minutes and the only one shorter than an hour is the Sun Disc at 58 minutes. In the end it depends on your level of fanaticism for Orbison. If you're way into Roy it's definitely something you'd want.

Still, I would wait though to see what it is on the current reissue packages and what prices they are at. If they're a decent price, and they contain material not on the box you could wind up kicking yourself. See what they look like first and then splurge.
Last edited by likethebike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:03 am

Thanks for the review, LTB.

I'll wait and see what Legacy can do with the catalog.

Re: Legacy Plans Ambitious Orbison Reissue Series

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:31 pm

Claus wrote:

Why doesn't Elvis get this kind of treatment. It's the same label. :evil:

Perhaps its more difficult to take an artist seriously when he is represented by ducks, plastic foreheads, and hallowe'en-style jumpsuits by his family.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:45 pm

Lately I have frequently been playing the 2-CD Singles Collection.

I had no idea who Roy Orbison was, until I read what Elvis said about him. That was in 2002, when I had been a fan of E for about two month. I must say he has been a great teacher, when it comes to music. I have no problem admitting that Elvis Presley is the base that my improved and permanent taste in music has evolved from.