Off Topic Messages

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:34 am

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:i'm sorry. you just came across as some one who'd listened to one Dylan song, and then assessed him on that. my apologies

by the way; corrections: i'm 15
i'm not an EP impersonator, and i do not plan to be
my balls have dropped

........but i have'nt shaved, maybe you can give me half the list of songs you want me to listen to, and the other half later when i have

hey man, not many 15 year olds listen to Bob Dylan or Elvis and other GOOD music. i think i'm apart of a dying species............
Greetings, fellow-youngster (is that a good word? :P)

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:21 am

Dylan's voice is unpalatable to me (even Elvis thought the same way: "sounds like Bob Dylan slept in my mouth") -- but his songwriting ability cannot be denied. He is one of the true greats of 20th century popular music.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:45 am

on that, i definitely can agree 8)

Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:17 am

For those of you who like Dylan, as I do, I highly suggest getting the official Bootleg Series volume on 'The Rolling Thunder Revue- 1975', absolutely brilliant live performances, my favorite era of Dylan (along with 1965/66). This album will absolutely change your pespective on this brilliant artist.

And Elvis' Babe- although Dylan did write topical songs, he HATED being called a political artist, and would protest when anyone tried to call him a protest singer. Like Elvis, Dylan has always been pretty apolitical, never endorsing a political party or candidate.

And what political messages has he espoused that would offend anyone? Anti-Racist messages? Anti-War (in General) messages? Sound pretty universal to me. (No expiration dates here) After all, George Bush himself has said, "no President wants war." :wink:

For instance, if he was as 'Liberal' as many people think-- then why is he now on a tour with Merle Haggard- probably the most openly conservative country artist still around.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:03 am

well said. Dylan is not entirely a political artist. he write songs on love, heartbreak, and self esteem. songs that Elvis even has recorded, 'don't think twice, its all right', 'tomorrow is a long time', 'i shall be released'. (actually, i prefer Dylans version of these songs, except 'tomorrow')
i love Dylans version of 'i shall be released', i was singing it at the top of lungs and i did'nt care, plus i had the song going round in my head all school day. i've actually been listening to Dylan more than Elvis lately, and allthough he's not the best singer, he creates the same kind of feeling Elvis did IMO