Off Topic Messages

BOB DYLAN

Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:27 am

I totally love his music now. i had listened to him when he came on the radio in my town, and i began to like him. so last tuesday i got a 2cd set of his called The Essential Bob Dylan. i do not regret it! i'm listening to it while typing this actually. for those who never heard of his music, it is ESSENTIAL. he's sucha clever song writer, although on some songs his singing is actually quite unbearable, but the feeling he puts in is great. i listened to the songs that Elvis covered, but i have to say i like his version better. i think that if you're gonna listen to Elvis, Bob Dylan goes together well

what do people here think of his music? and also, does he still record or perform today? i think his voice was failing him by the time he recorded 'things have changed' by 1999, but the mood he created was terrific

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:42 am

the phrases 'hippie' and 'bad singer' come to mind.

i really hate the artists that feel the need to capitalize on politics to get noticed, because they are pretty much unremarkable if they have to rely on their actual talent of moving people with emotions, regardless of the material.

and to me, politically savvy in the 60s/70s has this habit of having an expiration date as soon as the era is over...

whereas music that was never meant to rely on a time period to reference has more staying power--music that relies on old fashioned feelings.

for example: i've heard the simon & garfunkel bridge over troubled water...i've heard several versions because i had an obsessed friend--one of which was a recent art performance that was nearly embarassing on how far his voice has gone to hell--to the point that paul simon sounds better today--and he was never a singer. elvis totally outdid them on bridge.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:48 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:the phrases 'hippie' and 'bad singer' come to mind.

i really hate the artists that feel the need to capitalize on politics to get noticed, because they are pretty much unremarkable if they have to rely on their actual talent of moving people with emotions, regardless of the material.

and to me, politically savvy in the 60s/70s has this habit of having an expiration date as soon as the era is over...

whereas music that was never meant to rely on a time period to reference has more staying power--music that relies on old fashioned feelings.

Luckily for us that Elvis wasn't as narrow-minded about music as you are, because if he was, he would probably have retired from his truck driving career only a few years back. :roll: :roll:

Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:08 pm

Elvis' Babe wrote:the phrases 'hippie' and 'bad singer' come to mind.

for example: i've heard the simon & garfunkel bridge over troubled water...i've heard several versions because i had an obsessed friend--one of which was a recent art performance that was nearly embarassing on how far his voice has gone to hell--to the point that paul simon sounds better today--and he was never a singer. elvis totally outdid them on bridge.

If you knew anything at all you'd know that Dylan was labelled as a 'political' singer by his audience. It was never his intention. I'm trying to ignore the hippie and bad singer comment. I love that, "music that relies on old fashioned feelings". So touching it makes me want to puke. You're not a girl by any chance are you?

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:25 pm

I love Bob Dylan's work.
He can't sing, but that doesn't matter.
The feeling is unique!

Re: BOB DYLAN

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:36 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:for those who never heard of his music, it is ESSENTIAL.

For those who have never heard of his music........you are in a coma.

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:41 pm

Rob wrote: For those who have never heard of his music........you are in a coma.

Or 5th grade !!!

:P

Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:27 am

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:what do people here think of his music? and also, does he still record or perform today? i think his voice was failing him by the time he recorded 'things have changed' by 1999, but the mood he created was terrific

Dylan remains a totally valid recording and touring artist after 40-plus years. The man is a TITAN of rock and popular music, a genius in a sea of pretenders and wanna-bes.

The Martin Scorcese PBS documentary of last September -- "Np Direction Home" -- was the TV highlight of 2005, and you should pick up the DVD immediately.

To see what Bob's up to, check out http://bobdylan.com

DJC

Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:39 am

not a dylan fan myself,but elvis babe your answer isnt really valid, cause to some they may think he was great, lets not start a elvis vs dylan war lmao :lol: i myself am in no coma and although i know his music,i know that its not my cup of tea, but to each is own,just enjoy the muisc people,thats what its here for

Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:43 pm

Doc, i did see a bit of part 2 of 'no direction home' on t.v, and i thought about taping it, but did'nt. i knew i would probably regretted it

i have $50 from a singing show i did today, and Doc, i think i will get that DVD.

people, yes each to their own, but do not judge him by appearance and singer, he has wrote some of the greatest songs of all time, the greatest just might be 'hurricane'. he is not just a protest singer, he sings about love and also self esteem and society today, i absolutely love the cd i have BTW, and everybody needs to hear his music one time or another, not just 'blowing in the wind', but some of his lesser known material like 'tangled up in blue' or 'everything is broken'

Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:02 pm

Elvis' Babe; once again you have proven how little you know about many things. Bob Dylan, a hippie? Well, then I guess Elvis was a hippie as well.

Dylan wrote and recorded political songs for a few years in the early 60's. 51 Reissue is correct: he was labelled a political artist, something he's spent the rest of his career more or less trying to get away from. His songs are universal, his songs are the work of a genius, a truly great man. Obviously Elvis thought so too. And Dylan was/is a huge fan of Elvis.

Oh, by the way: check out his latest album "Love and Theft" if you haven't heard it, it's brilliant!

Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:04 pm

That "Bob Dylan can't sing" routine is ridiculus. Just listen to the live version of "Shelter From the Storm" that can be cound on "Hard Rain" for example. Or just about anything from the "Saved" album.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:11 pm

Dylan's voice may not appeal to everyone, but he does know how to sing and there is a difference between the two. It fits the material he writes about well. And there hasn't been a songwriter in our lifetime who can touch him. As was pointed out earlier, it's not just the well known songs of his, he has so many other gems which most folks will never hear. Take Every Grain of Sand for example. Just go to his website Bobdylan.com and click on the "songs" button and read the lyrics. Actually, do it with any of the songs there. I think Springsteen said it well at Bob's HOF induction, "Bob freed your mind the way Elvis freed your body".

Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:51 am

to answer you Keith F, on some certain songs on my 2 discs, he sounds horrible. listen to 'i want you', 'just like a woman', and in his later years, some moments in 'not dark yet' are'nt really too good for my ears. infact, i think i'll cover the song soem day

Bob Dylan actually influenced my songwriting the minute i i heard the lyrics to Elvis's version of 'tomorrow is a long time'. His protest songs helped me to make one of my greatest songs i've written, and i could'nt have done it well enough without his influence. Bob is a role model for all song writers, he just may be the greatest song writer ever. listen to 'hurricane', what a genius!

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 am

sam wrote:
Rob wrote: For those who have never heard of his music........you are in a coma.

Or 5th grade !!!

:P

Or extremely lucky.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:36 am

Tits McGhee wrote:Or extremely lucky.

Guess Elvis Presley wasn't one of the "lucky" ones.

The only thing a post like yours accomplishes is to show us how ignorant you are. Thanks for the hint.

DJC

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:18 pm

To be slagged off by someone with an ego your size is truly wonderous. I bow to your superior knowledge. Of course Dylan is great, this I now know to be true because Dr. Savage says so.

What's your feelings on Bonnie Langford?

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:45 pm

I have always thought that the Dylan songs Elvis covered, were inspired by other artists recordings of Dylan songs. I could be wrong, but i have the feeling Dylans vocal talent would not have been to Elvis` taste.

The only Dylan album i have ever been able to listen to all the way through is Blonde On Blonde.

A friend of mine who is a Dylan fanatic, saw him perform here in the UK not too long ago. He said that a lot of the songs performed left the audience nonplussed, as they bore little resemblance to the recorded versions. Dylan seemed to delight in taking his audience for granted, and taking the piss out of them.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:32 pm

Tits McGhee wrote:To be slagged off ...

There is no "slag off" or ego involved a-tall -- it is a fact-based observation.

Tits McGhee wrote:Of course Dylan is great, this I now know to be true ...

Bob Dylan is great because of the overwhelming evidence to that assessment, period. Your post was all about you being obnoxious.

Tits McGhee wrote:What's your feelings on Bonnie Langford?

Dylan is --by far -- the superior artist, but she does have better legs.

DJC

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:20 am

But Langford's legs aren't as good as Gilbert O'Sullivan's.

I do what I can.

Blah, blah, fakkin' blah.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:58 am

Tits Mcghee, please list every Bob Dylan song you've listened to, and then i'm sure that can be assessed, and then i will decide the right songs for you to listen to. do not judge by just oen song, you've gotta take the whole apple pie first, THEN you can make judgements

Doc, my thoughts exactly. Dylan rocks! BTW, i'm bidding on that dvd, i hope i win :D

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:37 pm

Hey kid, I've heard Dylan for most of my life. I didn't just stumble across him last week like you did. Don't tell your granny how to suck eggs. I like what I like - I don't need no 7 year old Elvis impersonator to tell me what I should be listening to.

Get back to me when you've had a shave and your balls have dropped. Then I'll send you a list of what you should be listening to.

Twonk.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:48 pm

He's off to school like a good young'un and will not get to read your reply until later. In the meantime, I have one small question.

What's a Twonk?

Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:38 am

It's a bit like a thwonk, but without the 'h'.

The pumps don't work 'cause the vandals took the handles.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:48 am

i'm sorry. you just came across as some one who'd listened to one Dylan song, and then assessed him on that. my apologies

by the way; corrections: i'm 15
i'm not an EP impersonator, and i do not plan to be
my balls have dropped

........but i have'nt shaved, maybe you can give me half the list of songs you want me to listen to, and the other half later when i have

hey man, not many 15 year olds listen to Bob Dylan or Elvis and other GOOD music. i think i'm apart of a dying species............