Off Topic Messages

1 Million Dead over Next Three Years!

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:06 pm

C'mon, Canada...what's up with this...running out of kittens & puppies to put to death????? The Canadian government has authorized the killing of 325,000 baby seals this year. Over 1 Million seal pups as young as 12 days old will be slaughtered in the next 36 months. This year's killing begins in 12 days.

Please click on link below for a short video about this horrific practice.

http://stream.realimpact.net/?file=real ... -story.smi

Canada Defends Seal Hunt As Humane

TORONTO (AP) -- Canada's contentious seal hunt will soon start, the government announced Wednesday, despite protests by Paul McCartney and other animal-rights activists who condemn the killing of the pups as inhumane.

Fisheries and Oceans Minister Loyola Hearn charged that the media have misrepresented the hunt, and said Canada is committed to ensuring the seals are killed by humane methods.

"Canada's harp seal herd is a conservation success story," Hearn said in Ottawa. "We continue our surveillance and monitoring to make sure that Canada's is the most tightly regulated, closely watched and, above all, most humane seal hunt in the world."

Registered sealers will be allowed to kill up to 325,000 pups in the ice floes off the Atlantic when the annual season opens, up from the quota of 320,000 last year, Hearn said.

Aboriginal and Inuit hunters begin the commercial kill in November in Canada's frozen Arctic waters. The spring leg is slated to begin in the Gulf of St. Lawrence next week and move later to an arc about 30 to 40 miles from Newfoundland.

Hearn said Canada's harp seal population is "healthy and thriving" at nearly 6 million, a threefold increase since the 1980s.

McCartney and his wife, Heather Mills McCartney, took to the ice floes in the Gulf of St. Lawrence two weeks ago to frolic with the doe-eyed pups to garner international support to end the hunt. He called the practice a "stain on the character of the Canadian people."

The Humane Society and International Fund for Animal Welfare have posted gruesome videos on their Web sites that show the pups being clubbed to death, some left choking on their own vomit or being skinned alive.

Sandra Gaudet, Prince Edward Island regional director of Fisheries and Oceans, in interview: Gaudet says the thin ice may prevent some seal hunters from participating in the cull this year. (MANDATORY CREDIT: C-B-C Television)

Hearn said these are isolated incidents and federal marine monitors have verified that most of the seal pups that are killed have lost their fluffy white fur as required by law since 1987 and are quickly jabbed through the brain with picks or shot with one quick bullet.

He said fishing communities of Quebec and Newfoundland, whose livelihoods were devastated when the Atlantic cod stocks dried up in the mid-1990s, earn 25 percent to 40 percent of their annual income by selling the seal pelts and blubber for about $70 each.

The pelts used in the fashion industry are mostly sold to Norway, China and Russia. The United States has banned Canadian seal products since 1972 and the European Union banned white baby seal pelts in 1983.
Last edited by EagleUSA on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:09 pm

There is virtually no retail market for seal fur products in the UK.

Good news ?

No !

The UK remains the world centre for the trading of seal fur !

Shame on us !

And shame on Canada for this annual slaughter.

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:19 pm

I'd freeze to death before I'd kill that for it's fur.

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:31 pm

It would appear that Canada treats Gays and US Deserters better than seals.

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:57 pm

I think it's totally disgusting what they are doing. I wish I had clout and lots of money. I would try to do something. Hopefully some groups will put a halt to this.

Jeff

Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:50 am

Paul McCartney appealed for this a couple of weeks before, he even knew he could get arrested for being too close to them, but he did it for us to see what cute creature will die for a needless cause
1 million over the next 3 years! its a damn massacre, may it never happen. poor things

Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:03 pm

Canada is such a great country and have to tarnish that by agreeing to MURDER defenceless seals.

I,d like to see some of them Canadian politicans hit over the head with a ice pick. :twisted:

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:18 pm

Extremely sad.

I have Paul's back on this. Very unfortunate.

Rich

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:45 pm

This is very sad that they're going to kill these poor animals, it's disgusting, and very cruel :(

Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:50 pm

As Scott said, Paul McCartney and his wife discussed this issue on "Larry King Live" a few weeks ago. It looked to be a pretty appalling thing, and impossible to watch.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:10 am

I hope Paul and his Wife can do something to help this awful event from happening.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:36 pm

Hey Eagle, that´s a very special topic, as we here in Germany do have this discussion each year. Nobody needs the skins of those animals, but Canadians and Norwegians are slaughtering them in the hundreds of thousands.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :cry:
If anybody doesn´t like a newborn seal, he or her doesn´t like men, also.

If I hadn´t liked Paul and Heather before, I would now have to say I´m sorry to them, because all they´re doin´ for animals needs all my respect.

I hope they succed in what they´re doin...

O.S.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:23 am

Are they at least using the meat for some tasty baby seal treats. :twisted:

I hate to play devil's advocate(ok..maybe HATE is a strong word :wink: ), but why if an animal is "cute" is it such a tragedy...say compared to millions of pigs or cows..etc.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:08 am

Gene,
every pet, every animal is it worth to be treatend the same as men, sometimes better. But sometimes I really love a big steak, too...

Seals with their big eyes are looking like babies for most people.

All the best.

O.S.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:38 pm

Genesim wrote:
Are they at least using the meat for some tasty baby seal treats.

They are not. They are simply killing the seals for their fur.

There is a world of difference between the humane slaughter of domesticated farm animals for meat vs. an annual binge of bashing and skinning baby seals (some of whom are still alive btw) simply for their fur.

It is appalling.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:13 pm

Disgusting news...

Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:25 pm

Really disgusting...

O.S.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:05 pm

I've already said that this slaughter is a stain on Canada's name.

But I can't help thinking that a lot of our outrage stems from the fact that these cuddly baby seals have those big, pleading eyes.

If it was a colony of rats or mice being exterminated, we wouldn't be quite so upset about it, would we ?

Strange that.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:57 pm

Colin wrote:
If it was a colony of rats or mice being exterminated, we wouldn't be quite so upset about it, would we ?

No...and why not? Because infant seals, unlike rats & mice, do not have the notoriety of decimating the human race in Europe with the "black death" Bubonic Plague. Rats and mice are not hunted for fur or food, in general.

I think the reason most rational people are so upset about the carnage taking place in Canada is there is simply no need for it. It merely satisfies human greed and vanity, period.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:01 pm

EagleUSA wrote:I think the reason most rational people are so upset about the carnage taking place in Canada is there is simply no need for it. It merely satisfies human greed and vanity, period.

Well, you're right, of course, but I still think that the way they look up, with those huge, trusting eyes, just before the club does its grisly work, helps their case no end when shown in the world's media.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:14 am

Eagle, sorry, I wasn't trying to make light of it, and yes, if Seal meat hasn't been exploited, then yes it is a crime.

Furs are not enough reason to kill animals.....unless they replace what they take.

I would think supply would run out eventually. I do believe in human disposal.

The picture you paint is not a pretty one, and if thats the case then it is a travesty.

I will take your word for it.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:23 am

Thanks Geno. You don't have to take my word for it, however. Click on the 90 second video link in the original post to see for yourself what's happening.

If anyone's interested in more information or learning what they can do to help, you can also go to the Humane Society's web site at...

http://www.hsus.org/

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:58 am

Absolutely abhorrent..........how can anyone crush the skull of over 300,000 cute, tiny, innocent, helpless babies like that?????? :evil:

I mean REALLY.........that should be reserved exclusively for the tens of millions of skulls belonging to cute, tiny, innocent, helpless baby humans.

It's amazing how such uproar can be created (rightly so) over these pups while a much more de-humanizing and bloodier carnage rages on while generating barely a whimper.

Of course.........there really is no comparison.

After all, that fur is valuable :roll:

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:03 am

Well.......that puts an end to this thread I guess.

Save The Whales!!!!!!! :?