Off Topic Messages

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:08 pm

I'm still wondering why Canada and Australia still pay lip service to the monarchy?

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:14 pm

Pete Dube wrote:I'm still wondering why Canada and Australia still pay lip service to the monarchy?

Well, there have been rumblings of discontent from the Aussies !

Pete also wrote:
So in other words Colin, the party in power basically gets to appoint whom they want to the house of lords?

Exactly.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:04 pm

Pete, I had a Canadian friend years back who was quite happy to defend what's left of the monarchy -and he was a liberal at that.

I've heard it said that the U.S. presidency in fact has some "royal" trappings (White House ceremonies; feting of athletes, etc.) that have accumulated over the years. The argument, as I recall it, is that citizens "need" a "symbolic rallying point" (a King or Queen) to deposit nationalist, nostalgic feelings of patriotism, but to leave the rest of the (real) governing to elected officials.

I don't buy it, but apparently many still do.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:24 am

Colin: They wouldn't be Aussies if they didn't rumble discontentedly.

Greg: A Dube Presidency would bring all that nonsense to an end ....... I'd prefer to implement my own nonsense. :)

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:46 am

Hey Australia is sinking. The weight af all the gold around our athletes necks is just too much!!!! :D

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:01 pm

Yeah fools gold!

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:05 pm

Ezzz wrote:Yeah fools gold!

Why don't the English smile. Because winners are grinners!!! :wink:

:P :wink: :wink: :wink:

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:56 pm

Sam, i have a load of relatives over in Australia, and every time they come over to visit dear old Blighty, they never stop moaning, and you guys talk about whingeing poms!

Then again, do you think they are moaning because they are here in the UK?........ :shock:

Some of them have a nasty habit of wearing safari suits too. Never trust a bloke in a safari suit, a beige safari suit at that.. :shock:

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:39 pm

Ezzz wrote: Some of them have a nasty habit of wearing safari suits too. Never trust a bloke in a safari suit, a beige safari suit at that.. :shock:

We're not related are we??? :shock:

:wink: :wink: :wink: