Off Topic Messages

Dana Reeves Dead at 44

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:55 pm

Very sad news.

Christopher Reeve's widow has died from lung cancer at age 44.

One can only feel sympathy for their young 13 year old sun who has lost both parents in such a short time frame.

A very raw deal for Dana ... apparently, she was a non smoker who was dealt a tough hand in life.

What a shame.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:29 pm

Yes, that is tough. She endured a lot of pain in her few years on this earth--both physical and emotional. I hope she is at peace now.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:32 pm

That is so sad... that has to be very hard on the family loosing them both so close together.

RIP

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:57 pm

Very sad.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:40 pm

It is really sad! May she rest in peace!

O.S.

re

Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:47 pm

a courageous woman

RIP

Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:42 am

RIP Dana

Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:50 am

Very sorry to hear this.

Having had people in my life exit early from lung cancer (via cigarettes), such news always strikes me. Not an nice way to go.

RIP also to American baseball player Kirby Puckett, dead yesterday from a stroke at the age of 45.

66- year old Malian guitarist /singer Ali Farka Toure also just died, I was sad to hear. Long-lost connections to the African roots of American bluesman John Lee Hooker were made through the sounds of Toure.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:01 am

44 years old...way too young.
If there was ever a woman who stood by her man, she was the one. At least they are together again. Their son must be having a very difficult time right now. Thought and prayers should be with him.

May she rest in eternal peace.

Dana Reeves Dead At 44

Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:06 am

Yes it is very sad

Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:11 am

i feel so sorry for their children. first lost a father, now a mother. terrible :cry:

at least she is with Superman again, up in the heavens, where they belong

rest in peace

Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:29 am

Very sad.........she was a good person, as her actions over the last decade make clear.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:58 am

What a woman !

Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:19 am

Terribly sad news.

Everyone: take a look. This is what a REAL woman looks like. This is who a REAL woman is. Dana stood by Reeve valiantly for all those years - completely putting her own career to one side. A Superman needs a Superwoman - and that's precisely what Chris got. Dana then suffered the loss of her mother, followed shortly thereafter by her husband - leaving her with two people to grieve for, and two less people, the two she needed most, to support her as her own body was afflicted and ravaged. What a despicably cruel world we live in. She leaves behind a 13 year old son.

If there's any justice, and if there's a God who exists and believes in it, then he's rightfully given Dana her angel wings - wings she's using to fly with Chris.

May she forever rest in peace.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:36 am

Very sad. So hard for their son.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:47 pm

Sad news.

R.I.P.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:07 pm

Cryo, not to be argue, and I echo your accolades, but I'd also like to think (and know) that ordinary people rise the occasion every day when someone they marry or love has to stare down cancer - and usually with less resources

One hopes that anyone (outside of former US Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich, who infamously handed his then-wife, dying of cancer in bed her divoce papers) would also stay true to their spouse.

For all the chat about AIDS and bird flu, it's a shame we haven't done more for fighting cancer.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:32 pm

Greg wrote:
For all the chat about AIDS and bird flu, it's a shame we haven't done more for fighting cancer.

I agree 110%...however, Cancer is not quite as chic as AIDS or bird flu to the left. These two diseases are relatively new on the scene, compared to the big C, and also tend to make for bigger and scarier headlines.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:47 pm

Well, it's impolite (?) to mention, but the notion that heterosexual or non-drug users were suddenly going to all fall prey to AIDS was, thankfully, untrue. I tend to think such scare tactics, like the hysteria about marijana in the 30s, tends to back fire.

But Bird Flu is something to be concerned about. I hope half of it is hype.

Re: Dana Reeves Dead at 44

Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:07 pm

TCB TED wrote:Very sad news.

Christopher Reeve's widow has died from lung cancer at age 44.

One can only feel sympathy for their young 13 year old sun who has lost both parents in such a short time frame.

A very raw deal for Dana ... apparently, she was a non smoker who was dealt a tough hand in life.

What a shame.

I'm so sorry to read about her loss, may she rest in peace. Just a footnote, where I live in Canada, all establishments are to go smoke free as of June 1st of this year. Perhaps her death might motivate people to stop this terrible addiction alltogether, not just for themselves, but for the innocent non-smokers as well.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:53 pm

Haven't had the time to read more about her case.

Was Mrs. Reeve a smoker?

There are those who say that the second-hand smoke science is "not there" but it's hard to tell who's putting out such studies.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:39 pm

She was not a smoker.

Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:16 am

Greg - I hear what you're saying. And I agree.

Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:14 am

[/quote]

I agree 110%...however, Cancer is not quite as chic as AIDS or bird flu to the left. These two diseases are relatively new on the scene, compared to the big C, and also tend to make for bigger and scarier headlines.[/quote]

Eagle. Why try and turn this into a political issue. Diseases such as cancer and AIDS affects people from all walks of life, including those on the right side of politics !

Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:49 am

It was a side point I had originally made that cancer is almost too mundane to mention sometimes.

The death toll is off-the-charts. Like other diseases like AIDS, when you are a smoker who gets lung cancer, there's a little bit of that "well, you play, you pay" sort of attitude.

We're here to chat, right?