Off Topic Messages

Question about a car

Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:30 pm

In the booklet that comes with the FTD Loving You Cd`s is a picture of Elvis in a convertible. This is, so they wrote, a Cadillac. I`m sure it`s not! But, does anybody know what it really is??

Wim

Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:45 pm

The white Dodge in, "Lovin You"?

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:14 pm

Thank you very much, Mr. colgateā„¢. Do you happen to know the type aswell??

Wim

Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:48 pm

Wim, Just Maurice, will do fine.

The car is a Dodge Coronet V8.

I had an older 1956 Dodge Coronet V8 in 1964. Same colours as the estate Dodge Coronet in "Loving You" that the band used. A lot like this one Image

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Chrys ... -1959.html ENJOY scrolling.

Mine was a four door automatic sedan. Maureen crashed it into a tree :cry:

Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:36 pm

Thanks for the info, Maurice. I tried to copy a picture in here of a car I drove for a while in 1970. It was a Cadillac Coupe de Ville of 1958. In those days one could get such a car rather cheap. After a week I found out why. It used about a gallon of gas every 6, or so, miles. Plus a lot of oil. After 6 months I couldn`t afford it anymore. ( Not with 3 daughters in
school anyway) And I think in the last month it ran on 7 cylindres. It sounded like a B 17 by then. But I was sorry to see it go.
Should have kept it, they`re worth a lot of money, these days.

Take care

Wim

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:04 pm

Wim, Like this Cadillac?

The Dodge, I purchased in 1964 cost 250 pounds sterling. A small fortune. I could have bought a cottage on the West coast of Ireland with that sum! It would be worth 500,000 Euros now. Young and foolish :oops:

American cars were very rare in England back then. Except for Oxford Street in Manchester when the American Airforce guys from their base near Warrington came to town at the weekends. Then we would see Thunderbirds, Buicks, Chevs, Oldsmobiles, Fairlanes, and yes, Cadillacs to drool over :lol:

American military police were hard on Americans who got drunk and disorderly. Very hard indeed. At 14 a pal and me sold "The Empire News" Sunday newspaper in pubs late on a saturday night. (Remember that paper Colin?) We got a ha'penny a copy commission.

Yes I know what you mean about B17s. We watched the atom bombers taking off from Burtonwood AAF Base!