('05)
Walk the Line:2-disc Collector's Edition
Network-Special Edition
Grey's Anatomy:Season 1
Club Paradise
All the President's Men-Special Edition
War of the Roses
Young Mr. Lincoln-Criterion Collection

Extra Credit: A couple of weeks ago, I blind bought a copy of Waiting-Unrated and finally got around to watching it last night. I gotta say that it is one of the funniest films I have ever seen. Sure it's raunchy and crude and socially unacceptable, but who care. It's funny as hell and you should check it out.

Tom

Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:12 am

I'm with you on all of these:

Lady & the Tramp-Special Edition
Dog Day Afternoon-Special Edition
Network-Special Edition
All the President's Men-Special Edition

And of course, I'm awaiting shipment on the Love Me Tender SE.

Also picked up the Action (TV series) DVD set, but I guess that was released last week.

Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:09 am

Dog Day all the way!!! Most kick ass film out of the lot. For those who don't know it, go watch this movie now. Gets better and better with age.

ATTICA!! ATTICA!!

Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:38 am

Geno,
Watched it this afternoon. I am a little disappointed with the transfer (it's identical to the previous release), and the sound is still the original mono, but the film more than makes up for any minor problems with the disc. The best feature, by far, is the commentary by director Sidney Lumet, which kept my attention from the very beginning. This will be one of the best discs of the year.

Tom

Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:18 pm

Did you guys pick up Controversial Classics Vol. 2: The Power Of Media?

The box is only available in the States.

I am going to purchase all films sooner or later. Double-dip on "All The President's Men". And importing Dog Day Afternoon SE from the UK, because it includes the documentary Based on a True Story (2004) 72 mins, even though it looks like Warners haven't exactly pulled out even half the stops on the release. But I was thrilled to read that they are considering a SE release of "The Candidate" starring Robert Redford.

In other news:

The Simpsons 1-5

One major store here in Germany goofed up and advertised all five sets for a price of US$18, wrong choice of words and pictures. Obviously they meant one season, but honored this incredibly low price for all seasons. This is the best bargain ever for as long as I have been buying DVDs.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:07 am

Well at least they gave it another look. Yes commentary with Lumet will make this one wort the price of admission.

I have all of Pacino's movies on DVD except Two For the Money and now Dog Day Afternoon...in good time, they both will be mine.

All his movie's aren't winners, but rest assured I will at least get a good performance from him. Only actor yet that I would blind buy every time!

Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:39 pm

So far I've been playing catch up with:

"Philadelphia Story" SE

"Quick Change"- "No one does that to Mrs. Russ Crane."

Tom- have my usual weekly question. Are the Hitchcock re-releases that just came out significantly different than the previous releases on those titles- "Torn Curtain", "Shadow of a Doubt", "Man Who Knew Too Much" 1956 and a few others- or are they the same thing in a new box? Thanks for any insight. Sorry for any bother. Amazon lumps the reviews of both sets together.

Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:37 am

likethebike wrote:So far I've been playing catch up with:

"Philadelphia Story" SE

"Quick Change"- "No one does that to Mrs. Russ Crane."

Tom- have my usual weekly question. Are the Hitchcock re-releases that just came out significantly different than the previous releases on those titles- "Torn Curtain", "Shadow of a Doubt", "Man Who Knew Too Much" 1956 and a few others- or are they the same thing in a new box? Thanks for any insight. Sorry for any bother. Amazon lumps the reviews of both sets together.

First of all, you picked up two great films this week. Quick Change has always been a favorite of mine and I was thrilled when they finally released the DVD. As far as the Hitchcock films goes, the box set is comprised of the exact same DVD's that were released seperately in 2001. The main advantage of buying the set is price.

Tom

Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:37 am

It's a riot isn't it? I forgot some of the best moments like when Bill Murray tells everyone in the bank not to move and that dog sticks his tongue out. He comes over and sticks a gun in the dog's face: "What did I just say?" I would have loved some extras but the movie is enough.

I just noticed for the first time some of the future stars in the movie. I knew Anthony Shalhoub was in it but I had never noticed Stanley Tucci or the fact that the dad from "That '70s Show" is Lambino aka Russ Crane.

Thanks for the info Tom.

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:47 am

Just watched "Dog Day Afternoon" again last night. Am I alone in thinking the cops flat out murder the John Cazale character?

Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:37 pm

LTB,
Considering that Sal made it abundantly clear earlier in the film that he was not going back to jail, I would say that what Agent Murphy did probably saved lives. I know, I know, it's just a movie, but it's one of my all-time fav's.

Tom

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:13 am

That's a good point Tom and the cops were kind of in a corner. Still though to fire a shot at someone whose gun is pointed in the air- is I can't put my finger on it exactly. Maybe cause the shock of the shot even after multiple viewings is so great. To Lumet's credit there is no distance in this violence. You even see Sal's body being carted away.