Off Topic Messages

Buddy Hackett dies

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:20 pm

Buddy Hackett has passed away at the age of 78. I believe he had some connections to Elvis.

jeff R

Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:01 pm

Buddy was a very kind man and just as funny off screen as on. Cards can be sent to the family at:

800 Whittier Dr.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Tom

Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:32 pm

What the hell is going on here???

Is there something in the water in Hollywood???
Why are all these movie stars dying???

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:13 pm

'Cuz they're, like, old and stuff. :)

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:24 pm

Good one Khoots.
Actually, Buddy Hackett was the youngest of the 4 most recent deaths and he was 78. G. Peck was in his 80's, K. Hepburn was 96. I can't remember how old David Brinkley was but I believe he was close to 80.
It seems they all had pretty long lives.

jeff R

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:49 pm

I'm tellin' ya folks they go in threes'. A couple weeks ago it was David Brinkely, Gregory Peck, and Hume Cronyn. This week it's Sen. Strom Thurmond, Katharine Hepburn, and Buddy Hackett!

Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:12 am

I forgot about Hume Cronyn. He was also in his late 80's.
I don't know why people go on and on about things in threes. That's an old, old wives tale. Sorry, Pete. My mom always says that with her bingo winnings. She says "I won twice in a rwo, I gotta go again because it always goes in threes". It drives me nuts. She very seldom wins three times in a row. I'm also sure if you dig a bit deeper, you'll find that there were other celebrities that died in the past couple weeks. They're just not as much publicised as the more well-known ones.
By the way, what constitutes three deaths? What time frame?

jeff R

Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:09 am

In their prime...

Katharine Houghton Hepburn May 12, 1907 - Jun 29, 2003

(photo courtesy of katherinehepburn.net)

Eldred Gregory Peck April 5, 1916 - June 12, 2003

(photo courtesy of MPTV.net Photo)

Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:02 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:I forgot about Hume Cronyn. He was also in his late 80's.
I don't know why people go on and on about things in threes. That's an old, old wives tale. Sorry, Pete. My mom always says that with her bingo winnings. She says "I won twice in a rwo, I gotta go again because it always goes in threes". It drives me nuts. She very seldom wins three times in a row. I'm also sure if you dig a bit deeper, you'll find that there were other celebrities that died in the past couple weeks. They're just not as much publicised as the more well-known ones.
By the way, what constitutes three deaths? What time frame?

jeff R

Jeff, having worked in 3 different nursing homes over 10 years when I was 22-32 I can attest that this phenomenon does take place. Time and time again, whenever one of the old folks would pass away 2 more would also pass within the same week! I think the reason why it became a wives tale is simply that others have observed the phenomenon firsthand and the word spread.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:24 pm

I know that Groucho Marx died three days after Elvis, but who was the third celebrity. I don't think Bing Crosby counts as he died in October. Anyone remember??

Tom

Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:57 pm

I recall that Bing Crosby died in October 1977.

In response to a previous thread, David Brinkley was 82.

Tom (from Ohio)

Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:01 pm

Joan Crawford died May 10 1977, would she count as the 3rd one?

Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:30 pm

Tom brings up a good point. What is the time frame for the "Death by Three's" phenomenon? One week? Two weeks? By and large, these things always seem to be within a single week.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:50 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:I know that Groucho Marx died three days after Elvis, but who was the third celebrity. I don't think Bing Crosby counts as he died in October. Anyone remember??

Tom

Tom - didn't Bud Abbott die around the time of Elvis and Groucho? I can't remember.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:28 am

William Alexander Abbott died April 24, 1974