Off Topic Messages

Darren McGavin has died

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:51 am

I don't think this has made the wires yet, but I wanted to let everyone know that Darren McGavin died this morning about 10:00 EST. Darren was a great actor and a great man and I shall miss him dearly.

Tom
Last edited by Tom in North Carolina on Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:10 am

Another huge loss, and I am sorry to hear about that. And, these things happen in three's, they say...

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:00 am

A terrific actor. RIP Darren McGavin.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:02 am

A very underrated actor. He was perfect as Kolchak: The Night Stalker. He also had some fine film roles and TV appearances. He will be missed.

jeff R

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:07 am

I loved watching him on TV as a child in Nightstalker... that show would scare the bejebus out of me! That's why I liked it so much!

RIP

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:50 am

He was a great underused actor always filled with wit and able to project both cynicism and decency. "The Night Stalker" and "A Christmas Story" would not work nearly so well without him in it. Although, the latter film focuses largely on the children, the warmth and eccentricity that McGavin brought to the role was the heart of the movie. Always a classy actor, always interesting.

I remember loving him when I was a kid when the only thing I knew him in was repeats of Jerry's "Delicate Delinquent." He will be missed.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:07 pm

Sad news ! I loved watching The Night Stalker as a kid and recently brought the movies and series on DVD. As a kid I was scared stiff. I'll always remember the "zombie" episode, especially the scene where he was sewing the mouth of the zombie in the wrecking yard. Also, the "Delicate Delinquent". Along with Don Knotts, another one of my childhood favourites has left the building !

Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:02 pm

Another personal favorite gone......... :(