Off Topic Messages

George Clooney an American

Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:54 pm

George Clooney has been appearing on a lot of our TV shows recently. Movie related and otherwise.

It's refreshing to listen to a compassionate and intelligent movie star speak so wisely about his country which he obviously loves.

Lonely are the Brave? Not any longer.

http://press.xtvworld.com/article9619.html

Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:08 pm

A liberal actor....oh the SHOCK! :roll:

Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:23 pm

Another very funny, wise, and intelligent guy. I read his wonderful books decades ago.

http://press.xtvworld.com/article9619.html

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:39 am

Ireland must be a really boring place.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:43 am

Clooney -- what's not to like?

DJC

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:23 pm

Blue-Gypsy, Ireland's culture is one of the oldest and richest in the world.

Our music, literature, art, science, and sense of fun enriches the planet.

Just watch the news on 17th March..............everyone around the globe is Irish for at least ONE Day.

We mustn't spoil them :lol:

But let's not move the thread to far away from it's subject.

Sane men are now attempting to wake up America. It's no longer the America we all admired growing up.

The American Flags appearing all over the place in every movie, TV shows (Framed on office walls!) , on the news about America, is reminescent of another nation that went overboard with it's nationalistic symbols. It too liked to invade other countries, and some for their oil fields. http://press.xtvworld.com/article9619.html

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Clooney -- what's not to like?

DJC

He's what I would call "a man's man".

Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:01 am

MauriceinIreland wrote:Blue-Gypsy, Ireland's culture is one of the oldest and richest in the world.

That is very nice Maurice. I want you to know that I will not ever make a thread that will reflect in a negative manner regarding your country. I don't live there, I don't pay taxes there, and furthermore living thousands and thousands of miles away it really is none of my business.

Rest assured should your country start having problems I will not take every opportunity I have to smack it in your face. See I consider you a friend and would not like to do anything to insult you.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:06 am

Blue-Gypsy wrote:
MauriceinIreland wrote:Blue-Gypsy, Ireland's culture is one of the oldest and richest in the world.

That is very nice Maurice. I want you to know that I will not ever make a thread that will reflect in a negative manner regarding your country. I don't live there, I don't pay taxes there, and furthermore living thousands and thousands of miles away it really is none of my business.

I think it comes with the territory of being the world's only superpower. The actions of America invariably impact on the rest of the world, sometimes in a good way and sometimes in a bad way. For that reason, what happens in America is the rest of the world's business.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:54 am

MauriceinIreland wrote:The American Flags appearing all over the place in every movie, TV shows (Framed on office walls!) , on the news about America, is reminescent of another nation that went overboard with it's nationalistic symbols. It too liked to invade other countries, and some for their oil fields. http://press.xtvworld.com/article9619.html

Maurice -
Spare us. If the Iraqi's commodity had been Guinness or whiskey instead of oil you Irish would've been climbing over each other to be the first one's in! :wink: :lol:

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:30 am

Blue-Gypsy wrote:

Rest assured should your country start having problems I will not take every opportunity I have to smack it in your face. See I consider you a friend and would not like to do anything to insult you.

Blue-Gypsy, Ireland does have it's problems as the whole world knows. An American President Bill Clinton actually came here to help us out. That's one of the reasons I stood for hours to shake his hand at his book signing event.

I would not mind if you criticised our over-paid right wing goverment. That suddenly has decided to commemorate the 1916 Easter Rising because of it's fear of the growing Sinn Fein influence here in the south.

I have appreciated your friendship.

TJ, Is right. What America does is just so important to us all on this planet. China too will soon makes it's Economic SUPER Power felt around the Globe...it's already happening.

Pete, If Iraq made Guinness we here in Ireland would have more of our own QUALITY stuff to consume. England brews Guinness and none of us here in Ireland are in a rush to go get it. They pour it in ONE go. A real pint of Guinness is poured s. l. o.w. l. y. Half a glass is left to stand while the sediment settles THEN it is topped up.

It's an Art! It gives us time to converse with the barstaff.............they have seen and know everything! :-)

Notice, it is respected Americans I choose to use on this thread. They too love America.................they love it enough to stand up and be counted.

Kurt Vonnegut was a prisoner of war in Dresden when it was destroyed by firestorms caused by allied bombing. I guess the man has earned a right to his point of view.

George Clooney comes over like Colin says, as "A Mans Man", the kind of man my father admired. His directness and honesty is refreshing.

By the way I encourage people to visit America. It must be seen to be believed. It's an amazing place.

But its present leadership definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

Amongst the carnage in Iraq this week, more young American soldiers were slaughtered yesterday....it just goes on, and on, and on.

Now after years of war the Fanatic Clerics in Iraq are gaining power............

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:40 pm

Regarding Clooney: A real 'man's man' wouldn't have taken such a low cheap shot at Charlton Heston. When given the opportunity to apologize he petulantly refused, saying Heston 'deserved it.' I've enjoyed many of Clooney's performances, and he's certainly entitled to his left-leaning-liberal viewpoints. But I won't pay to watch his films, and I consider his classless comments regarding Heston those of a snotty punk.

And for a guy who lives in the lap of luxury in a villa in Italy on Lake Como to try to come off as just an American citizen concerned for his country is the type of hypocrisy that causes average Joe's like me to take what he says with a whole lot more than a grain of salt.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:28 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Regarding Clooney: A real 'man's man' wouldn't have taken such a low cheap shot at Charlton Heston.

My man's man reference was to his roles, his personna as an actor, rather than to the private person.

Given that, Heston deserves most everything he gets for his silly stance on gun ownership.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:02 pm

Pete, We did pay to see George Clooney today. His movie "Goodnight and, Good Luck" should be seen by ALL Americans and everyone else for that matter.

As for Heston. How many American children have been killed by gun weilding children? Never mind we already know.

Yes Clooney has made a lot of money starring in movies now he is using the money to make movies which challenge superficial thinking.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:27 pm

Colin & Maurice -
I'm not a gun enthusiast, if truth be told I don't particularly care for guns, but I'm a supporter of the second amendment. So in that regard I agree with Heston. However, I'm all for some control measures being in place. I certainly don't think any schmo should be able to walk in off the street and get a gun, nor do I think that automatic weapons should be available to the general public.

But guns don't kill people, people kill people. The NRA does foster responsible gun ownership.

In any event Heston simply did not deserve the very cheap shot by Clooney. If Clooney's own father should develope alzheimers he might just realize how much of an unfunny low blow his comments about Heston were.

Colin -
Heston's film roles are those of a man's man. Clooney has a long way to go to be thought of on the same level.

Maurice -
I'm interested in seeing both Good Night and Good Luck, and Syriana. I agree that Clooney does raise some very valid questions. I don't dislike Clooney (I obviously don't know him), I just disagree with some of his politics, and I think his Heston jibe was crappy and classless.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Well I'm afraid I'm no fan of Heston.

He is not in the same class as George Clooney. A low blow is not quite the same as a dead gunshot child. Even with all the reponsible care guns are deadly weapons and should not be available.

A sane man buys a rifle for self protection. He becomes ill and shoots dead all his family and work colleagues. Where were their rights?

American gun culture has spread we are now seeing Guns used regularly in Ireland, and the UK to kill young men. Usually drug dealers, but now police men, and women too.

Automatic weapons should be banned completely.

Rifles and hand guns should be for the police only...............or is it Americans do not trust their elected goverments?....I wouldn't either :lol:

Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:21 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Colin -
Heston's film roles are those of a man's man.
Clooney has a long way to go to be thought of on the same level.

My Heston comment was about the person, not his film roles.

I just recorded Soylent Green from a tv broadcast.

Good film !

Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:23 am

MauriceinIreland wrote:Well I'm afraid I'm no fan of Heston.

He is not in the same class as George Clooney. A low blow is not quite the same as a dead gunshot child. Even with all the reponsible care guns are deadly weapons and should not be available.

With the second amendment our founding fathers, in their infinite wisdom, saw fit to ensure that American citizens would have the means at their disposal to overthrow tyranny (from within or or without).

MauriceinIreland wrote:A sane man buys a rifle for self protection. He becomes ill and shoots dead all his family and work colleagues. Where were their rights?

A person who snaps to that degree will find a way to murder even if guns were not available. And what about the rapes and murders that are prevented because of the right to self-protection? That must be taken into consideration.

MauriceinIreland wrote:American gun culture has spread we are now seeing Guns used regularly in Ireland, and the UK to kill young men. Usually drug dealers, but now police men, and women too.

And do you think banning guns will prevent those who want them from getting them? It will just increase the black market. There's a saying here Maurice: "Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns." Criminals in prisons have been questioned repeatedly on this issue, and they laugh at the question. They usually say that banning guns will only make their job easier, and won't prevent them from getting guns. And as for 'American gun culture' spreading, the IRA certainly killed a lot of folks - and you can't blame that on 'American gun culture.' But I will say that Americans are obsessed with violence. That's one point I can agree with Michael Moore on.

MauriceinIreland wrote:Automatic weapons should be banned completely.

I agree.

MauriceinIreland wrote:Rifles and hand guns should be for the police only...............or is it Americans do not trust their elected goverments?....I wouldn't either :lol:

I've already addressed this with my founding fathers/second amendment comment above.

As for Charlton Heston did you know the following?:

Heston served in the army during ww-2. He was instrumental in founding the American Air Museum in Britain.

Heston was a democrat that supported JFK.

After RFK's assassination Heston was one of a number of actors who called for gun control.

Heston participated in several of MLK's civil rights marches - including the march on Washington.

Heston's response to Clooney's cheap shot: "It's funny how class can skip a generation."

Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:35 am

Pete, Well the Class of Clooney has come shining through recently. He has quietly impressed all those that interviewed him on TV Radio and the press.

As for all your other points we have seen them debated for decades and the gun culture killing grows year by year.

As for killing with other means than guns, It's far more difficult, and often people can run away from knives, swords etc.

It's far more difficult to out run bullets

We also know all about the Founding Fathers, were their words carved in stone? Did they in their wisdom forsee the hundreds of thousands of deaths by gunfire in American homes?

Looking forward to seeing. "Syriana". We need guys like Clooney!

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:05 am

Maurice wrote:
We need guys like Clooney!

So keep him.

American gun culture has spread we are now seeing Guns used regularly in Ireland, and the UK to kill young men.

You mean as opposed to the Irish gun culture of AK-47's and homemade explosives that were used with regularity by the IRA, until just a few years ago, to kill young men?

America, is reminescent of another nation that went overboard with it's nationalistic symbols.

If you're thinking of comparing this land with Hitler's Germany, I'd recommend you stay on that side of the pond.

Even with all the reponsible care guns are deadly weapons and should not be available.

You can have mine when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:16 am

Pete- You really think the citizens of the US could overthrow a despotic regime with some handguns, rifles and the loose automatic weapon?

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:26 am

LTB wrote:
You really think the citizens of the US could overthrow a despotic regime with some handguns, rifles and the loose automatic weapon?

Probably not, but I will put on hell of a dent into the sumbitch that enters my home without my consent.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:37 am

MauriceinIreland wrote:Pete, Well the Class of Clooney has come shining through recently. He has quietly impressed all those that interviewed him on TV Radio and the press.

Not surprising considering the left-leaning media. I'm sure the BBC in particular fawned all over him. Clooney is a personable guy Maurice. And he does raise some valid questions. My only real beef with him is over the Heston cheap shot.

MauriceinIreland wrote:As for all your other points we have seen them debated for decades and the gun culture killing grows year by year.

As for killing with other means than guns, It's far more difficult, and often people can run away from knives, swords etc.

It's far more difficult to out run bullets

A person who snaps can murder their family in their sleep in some fashion. Or they can poison them. People kill people Maurice, and if they're dead set on doing it they'll find a way.

MauriceinIreland wrote:
We also know all about the Founding Fathers, were their words carved in stone? Did they in their wisdom forsee the hundreds of thousands of deaths by gunfire in American homes?

Can you provide some statistics to back up your 'hundreds of thousands of deaths by gunfire in American homes' statement? The founding fathers did in fact foresee the potential for hundreds of thousands of American deaths - at the hands of tyrants. Which is why they gave us the second amendment.

MauriceinIreland wrote:Looking forward to seeing. "Syriana". We need guys like Clooney!

And guys like Heston, who was willing to put his life on the line to help defeat a tyrant, thereby ensuring that you and I would have the freedom to be here having this discussion.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:08 am

Pete, You guys are just so predictable.

If you had a PBS TV SYTEM Like the BBC paid for by public subscription we all might get some far better programmes from the USA?

Wasn't it the Russian red army that really won our freedom............with help from the allies of course?

Goodnight, and goodluck :lol:

Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:23 am

The problem with your argument Pete and I know you're not a gun advocate is that it is so much easier to kill a person with a gun than through those other methods and it's much easier to kill someone accidentally with a gun as well. To poison someone you have to get them to swallow the poison. To stab someone you have to get up close to them to shoot people you don't have to do either of these. There are a lot arbitrary murders because of careless gun play than because of anything else.

I'm a limited supporter of the Second Amendment. I don't have a problem with people owning shotguns and handguns and even some collectors owning some more serious hardware but you have to wonder why most people would want to own a murder machine like an automatic weapon. The purpose of the weapon is not only to kill people but to kill masses of people in a short amount of time. You also have to admit there's a problem when terrorists list the USA as a source for obtaining weapons.