Off Topic Messages

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:54 am

Scatter........the original Ugly American :wink:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:42 am

I've seen Carolyn in her bikini, and I must say, she was'nt half bad ! :oops:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:07 am

Sorry Carolyn, I meant Sam :shock:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:17 am

carolynlm wrote:Jake....stop lying...... :? I don't think you were even born the last time I wore a bikini...... :?

In that case Carolyn I have just the beach for you next time you're down here!!! :wink:

No bikini necessary there!!! :oops:

8)

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:22 am

carolynlm wrote:Jake....stop lying...... :? I don't think you were even born the last time I wore a bikini...... :?

Carolyn. I was born in 1924. How old are you? :shock:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:36 am

carolynlm wrote:
Scatter wrote:Scatter........the original Ugly American :wink:

I don't think so Scat.....
I will say though, there is a European country that I wish would keep all their citizens at home....they surely would be much happier, because they don't seem too happy when they are abroad......

Thanks Caro........clear out a dresser drawer for me in the guest room, I'll be right over :D

Ok now.........SPILL!!!! What country do you wish would keep all their citizens at home??

I'm guessing France.......

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:21 pm

hmmm....i see this little Aussie is`nt above perpetuating stereotypes... :lol:

I`ve done a fair amount of travelling, and have always found the stereo typical image to be unfair................even in Paris and New York !!

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:42 pm

And, pray tell , how is it that her recitation of actual encounters is perpetuating a stereotype??

Should she have lied about what she experienced so that the PC among us would not be offended??

If she was speculating about encounters that she had never had, and was giving an opinion (based upon stereotypes) as to how such encounters may have unfolded, you would have a point.

But that is not what she related. She was recounting her actual experiences, not speculating based upon a stereotype.

Her account therefore does not perpetuate any stereotype........though it may help explain why the stereotype arose to begin with.

I live in Palm Beach, and encounter quite a few French tourists here every year. My experiences mirror Carolyn's. Am I perpetuating a stereotype, or are the tourists we encounter doing it??

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:46 pm

"No it's not France, although their tourists do get a bit cross if you can't speak French even if they are over here......"

OK Caro, it`s time for the big reveal ?..........go on suprise me... :lol:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:51 pm

carolynlm wrote:
Scatter wrote:Scatter........the original Ugly American :wink:

I don't think so Scat.....
I will say though, there is a European country that I wish would keep all their citizens at home....they surely would be much happier, because they don't seem too happy when they are abroad......

Right, so it isn't France !

Germany ? Belgium ? Holland ? Spain ? Italy ? Greece ?

Surely not the UK ? [Whingeing Poms & all that]

The suspense is killing me !

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:48 pm

I don't know about the U.K, but to me Canada is the best country. What do you folks thing about that, ehh! :lol:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:49 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you got it Colin!!! :wink:

:D

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:42 pm

Scatter wrote:Actually, I'd love to visit England, Ireland, Scotland, and Australia.

Will those of you with spare rooms please PM me??? :D

Funny how most people forget Wales when talking about the UK. I'm reminded of this amusing slip up from 2004...
http://www.poe-news.com/stories.php?poeurlid=40720

:)

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:23 pm

My sister Rita lives in Wales :lol: Near Cardiff. The LLaaaaaaaaaannnnndd of Songgoch.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:25 am

TJ wrote:
Scatter wrote:Actually, I'd love to visit England, Ireland, Scotland, and Australia.

Will those of you with spare rooms please PM me??? :D

Funny how most people forget Wales when talking about the UK. I'm reminded of this amusing slip up from 2004...
http://www.poe-news.com/stories.php?poeurlid=40720

:)

Sorry TJ......I've vowed never to set foot in Wales until Tom Jones is dead.

Look on the bright side.........today I'm one day closer to maiking it there :wink:

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:46 am

Joe Car wrote:I don't know about the U.K, but to me Canada is the best country. What do you folks thing about that, ehh! :lol:

Crap postal service.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:36 am

Wink,wink, eh Colin??? :wink: :lol:

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:49 am

Scatter -

Wot's your signature thingy all about, then ?

I'm guessing there's some sort of sport connection.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:46 am

Joe Car wrote:I don't know about the U.K, but to me Canada is the best country. What do you folks thing about that, ehh! :lol:

I think your fishing is great. I'll be spending a week on a lake in Ontario this summer and very much looking forward to it. Ehh?

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:17 pm

ColinB wrote:Scatter -

Wot's your signature thingy all about, then ?

I'm guessing there's some sort of sport connection.

KHoots found it for me.........it's for the Pittsburgh Steelers, my favorite football team. My second biggest pasttime (second to Elvis, naturally)

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:50 am

Scatter -

What you call 'football' is kinda like our rugby, isn't it ?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:46 am

Colin -
No. In our football everybody's padded up. In your rugby it's basically cream anyone in possession of the ball! And you guys don't wear padding! Definitely a sport that separates the men from the boys. Just wish I knew the rules, as the few times I've watched it I liked it.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:42 am

Pete Dube wrote:Colin -
No. In our football everybody's padded up. In your rugby it's basically cream anyone in possession of the ball! And you guys don't wear padding! Definitely a sport that separates the men from the boys. Just wish I knew the rules, as the few times I've watched it I liked it.

It really makes a difference knowing the rules I think. I remember that I used to think American football sucked as a spectator sport until I understood the rules. Helps a lot if you know why a certain play is important. I still don't know why it's called football though. Our football (soccer) is called football because players spend the whole game kicking the ball. Your football is all about catching and throwing, so why not handball?? :)

Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:18 am

I live in so called "Great Britain"............and if you've got any sense......stay the fu*k out of here....it's a sh*t hole. run by hooligans who dont give a crap about it's own law abiding citizens....we have about 5,000,000 camera's spying on us 24/7........and greedy politicians, teenage hooligans, and muslims are making life in this country a fu*kin misery.

This country is on the brink of lawlessness.......There is no "Great Britain" anymore.....it's a fu*kin shitpit of eniquity.

If i had the chance i'd emigrate out of here in a heartbeat.........this country's not worth a monkey's fu*k.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:29 am

The U.K. may have been voted favorite country, but us ignorant Americans are at least smart enough to keep our inbreds relegated to the backwoods, and not refer to them as your highness! :lol: