Off Topic Messages

The UK is the world's favourite nation

Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:36 pm

Well, according to another poll anyway. Unfortunately, we are also all boring :lol:

Switzerland was second, Canada third, Italy fourth and Sweden fifth.

More here:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21022006/344/b ... -poll.html

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:54 pm

I love Britain for its exquisite cuisine..........I can't get enough of boiled meat, veggies, grains, etc.

But that's just me. Pass the gruel :wink: :lol:

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:04 pm

LOL

http://www.economist.com/theworldin/int ... 495&d=2005 LOL

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:04 pm

Have you ever eaten in the UK Scatter?

I'm going to get badly razzed at here, but when I've been on the States, outside of New York and other big cities, the cuisine is nothing to shout about. Plenty of it though :wink:

Geof

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:14 pm

Geof- If you want fine cuisine I generally think the cities are where you get it wherever you go. Most of the people who make it want to make money and the cities are where the money is.

I didn't realize the world had a favorite country. I do know there are a lot of anglophiles in the US though maybe they contributed.

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:23 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:Have you ever eaten in the UK Scatter?

I'm going to get badly razzed at here, but when I've been on the States, outside of New York and other big cities, the cuisine is nothing to shout about. Plenty of it though :wink:

Geof

:lol: :lol: No Geoff........just playing up to the stereotype :wink:

BTW.........you DO realize that if the restaurant has a drive-thru........one should NOT expect cuisine :wink:

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:43 pm

:lol:

Geoff

Ps "on the States"??? I even spelled my name wrong - jeepers it's been a long day.

BTW LTB, you're bang on. It would be difficult to describe a local cuisine once in any major city - it's usually a hybrid of localish taste, passed off as Italian, Spanish, French, Chinese, etc. I've got Indian friends who while they enjoy eating at the local Indian restaurants don't recognise the food as anything they might eat at home.

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:11 pm

We had some excellent meals in America and England, but Wicklow ham just can't be beat!

We were at a restaurant pub in Hollywood county Wicklow a couple of weeks ago and it was packed. I know why now.

The rich red wine was by the bottle..after bottle:-) Our host a refined ex Connecticut resident regaled us with tales of his world-wide travels.

The hours slipped by and the candles dimmed before we left for a proper drink in a pub closer to home:-)

Only the mad leave Ireland, and you have to be insane to live here.

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:42 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:We had some excellent meals in America and England, but Wicklow ham just can't be beat!

We were at a restaurant pub in Hollywood county Wicklow a couple of weeks ago and it was packed. I know why now.

The rich red wine was by the bottle..after bottle:-) Our host a refined ex Connecticut resident regaled us with tales of his world-wide travels.

Maurice, you should be certain to point out that good Ole Scatter was NOT your host that night. Not that I wouldn't have loved it.

But your description of him is as close to myself as could possibly be imagined.

Now, I'm off to sample another foreign culinary delight..........French Fries. :wink:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:04 am

Fine cuisine in the U.K.? Given the recent mad cow disease epidemic I reckon a good steak is out. And didn't you Brits only recently give up hanging your fowl outside for a few days to season? Not to worry though, there's still good ol' fish & chips. I like mine with malt vinegar just like you guys! :wink: :)

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:41 am

Pete Dube wrote:Fine cuisine in the U.K.? Given the recent mad cow disease epidemic I reckon a good steak is out. And didn't you Brits only recently give up hanging your fowl outside for a few days to season? Not to worry though, there's still good ol' fish & chips. I like mine with malt vinegar just like you guys! :wink: :)

The mad cow disease epidemic has been under control for many years thankfully. To date, around 150 people have died from vCJD, so it didn't reach the catastrophic heights that some imagined it would. I have the dubious honour of keeping track of these things as part of my job. Bet you are envious! :wink:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:17 am

Gee ! I'm shocked ! I thought Australia was number one. Look at we have to offer in way of tasty cuisine............kangaroo, crocodile, emu, wild buffalo, wild camel and meat pies. Also, don't forget that great Aussie ice cold beer that we are famous for. How about those beautiful half bikini clad women that over populate our white sandy beaches that go for thousands of miles ! 8)

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:37 am

Carolyn. The BBQ is at 12:30. Don't forget the beer, and of course Sam :shock:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:53 am

jake wrote: How about those beautiful half bikini clad women that over populate our white sandy beaches that go for thousands of miles ! 8)

OK, you've sold me :lol: :wink:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:19 am

"How about those beautiful half bikini clad women that over populate our white sandy beaches that go for thousands of miles ! "

And how about those half bikini clad women with skin the colour and texture of one of John Wayne`s old saddle bags ?..... :shock:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:43 am

carolynlm wrote:Yes, Jake I could just about make it in time...using our non concongested traffic highways and our nonsmog atmosphere....Sam....???? you there??? see you at Jakes Place.....

oops. I slept in. Jake throw another shrimp on the barbie I'm on my way!!!!

:D

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:16 am

England now has about a 500,000 surveillance cameras aimed at you wherever you go ...even in the loo?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:21 am

[quote="Ezzz"]"How about those beautiful half bikini clad women that over populate our white sandy beaches that go for thousands of miles ! "

And how about those half bikini clad women with skin the colour and texture of one of John Wayne`s old saddle bags ?..... :shock:[/quote

Aahhh..............Green with envy :lol:

Sam, you better hurry up ! Carolyn is on the ground and she is no longer responding. I think she's had too much to drink ! :oops:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:03 am

carolynlm wrote:Jake, you tell such fibs......

Jake just put the CD with "Just Pretend" on and fill her glass again!!! :wink:

:oops:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:25 am

Ok, I reckon I'm one of them ignorant, ambitious Americans, so either my ignorance or ambition is making me ask: what happened to the other halves of Jakes half bikini clad women?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:24 am

carolynlm wrote:the other half have no bikini's at all :lol: :lol: not this little Aussie though :lol:

I thought he meant they only wore the bottom halves!!! :oops:

:D

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:34 am

Nothing at all against any other countries that are represented on this board. However, I have been to some of them. While they are nice to visit, I am proud to call the United States of America my home.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:35 am

Rob wrote:Nothing at all against any other countries that are represented on this board. However, I have been to some of them. While they are nice to visit, I am proud to call the United States of America my home.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Me either!!! :wink: :lol:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:42 am

Actually, I'd love to visit England, Ireland, Scotland, and Australia.

Will those of you with spare rooms please PM me??? :D

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:47 am

Scatter -
We are already having enough trouble getting other countries to like us.