United Arab Emirates to have control of Six Major USA Ports

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Spanish_Eyes
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

United Arab Emirates to have control of Six Major USA Ports

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

Well, well, well, some conservatives claim that Europe is being seized by Muslims. Dunno, but I don´t think any EU nation has their ports controlled by a company based in a country linked to S-11

UAE company to help oversee six ports in U.S.
Administration not opposing deal that sells business to Islamic nation
By TED BRIDIS
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - A company in the United Arab Emirates is poised to take over significant operations at six American ports as part of a corporate sale, leaving a country with ties to the Sept. 11 hijackers with influence over a maritime industry considered vulnerable to terrorism.

The Bush administration considers the UAE an important ally in the fight against terrorism since the suicide hijackings and is not objecting to Dubai Ports World's purchase of London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co.

The $6.8 billion sale is expected to be approved Monday. The British company is the fourth largest ports company in the world and its sale would affect commercial U.S. port operations in New York, New Jersey, Baltimore, New Orleans, Miami and Philadelphia.

DP World said it won approval from a secretive U.S. government panel that considers security risks of foreign companies buying or investing in American industry.

The U.S. Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States "thoroughly reviewed the potential transaction and concluded they had no objection," the company said.

The panel, which could have recommended that President Bush block the purchase, includes representatives from the departments of Treasury, Defense and Homeland Security.

The State Department describes the UAE as a vital partner in the fight against terrorism, though it was an operational and financial base for the 9/11 hijackers, the FBI said.

Sen. Charles Schumer, a Democrat whose district includes the New York port, urged the administration to consider the sale carefully.

"America's busiest ports are vital to our economy and to the international economy, and that is why they remain top terrorist targets," he said. "Just as we would not outsource military operations or law enforcement duties, we should be very careful before we outsource ... homeland security duties."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11404058/

Scatter
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Scatter »

You should be happy.........perhaps they will succeed in blowing up America and satiate your hatred.

Graceland Gardener

Post by Graceland Gardener »

Elect me President.

I won't be kissing Sheiks and holding their hands
and I won't be entrusting US ports to them.

Plus I'll get you the Elvis Presley Birthday National Holiday

Topic author
Spanish_Eyes

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

Scatter wrote:You should be happy.........perhaps they will succeed in blowing up America and satiate your hatred.
LOL, how dumb!...

I love your country, but I disagree with the way some of Americans think. Nothing else.

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

Nothing this administration does amazes me anymore. Sometimes I think it's not even political but some sort of socio-political test and America and the media to see how much people will take. It has to be a put on. Your jaw just drops day after day after day.

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

Spanish_Eyes wrote:
Scatter wrote:You should be happy.........perhaps they will succeed in blowing up America and satiate your hatred.
LOL, how dumb!...

I love your country, but I disagree with the way some of Americans think. Nothing else.
Oh yeah.......your love of all things American comes shining through your posts :lol: :lol:

Don't worry.......we'll keep your feminized country with its paper military safe anyway :wink:

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

likethebike wrote:Nothing this administration does amazes me anymore. Sometimes I think it's not even political but some sort of socio-political test and America and the media to see how much people will take. It has to be a put on. Your jaw just drops day after day after day.
Now LTB..........sounds like you are profiling Arabs there. Don't we constantly hear from the Left that all Arabs are not our enemy??

The Admin. is just trying to accomodate that view. My goodness. you sound positively Right Wing.........I'll get out the pitchforks, you get the torches lit :wink:

Seriously.........this is a moronic move. Congress is agitating against it, and it won't stand. Of course, the laws that allow this sort of idiocy were written by Congress, but we'll never hear a peep about that :lol:

Topic author
Spanish_Eyes

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

Come on. Do you think if I hated America, I'd be going there every year, as I have done for the past 6? Don't think so. I don't like right-wing people, that's all.

And the fact is, that Sadam didn't have any links to 9-11, and now Bush wants to give the US ports security to a country that gave money to fund the terrorists attacks. I ain't saying that the US deal with terrorists, but certainly this is not ethic at all.

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

Spanish_Eyes wrote:Come on. Do you think if I hated America, I'd be going there every year, as I have done for the past 6? Don't think so. I don't like right-wing people, that's all.

And the fact is, that Sadam didn't have any links to 9-11, and now Bush wants to give the US ports security to a country that gave money to fund the terrorists attacks. I ain't saying that the US deal with terrorists, but certainly this is not ethic at all.
Oh........I just got all warm and fuzzy reading this.........let me wipe the tear from my eye, you America-lovin' fool :lol:

Well, one thing your nonsensical gibberish makes perfectly clear.........if you are allowed to spend time in this country, the immigration laws are laxer than I imagined. I mean........don't we have ANY standards??? :P :roll:

KHoots
Registered for: 21 years

Post by KHoots »

Spanish_Eyes wrote:

Riiiiiiiigggghhhhttttt!!!! Your "disagreements" always seem to overpower your "love."

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

KHoots wrote:
Spanish_Eyes wrote:

Riiiiiiiigggghhhhttttt!!!! Your "disagreements" always seem to overpower your "love."
Right you are KHoots........SpanishLies "Loves" America like Michael Jackson "Loves" little boys.

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

Scatter wrote:
SpanishLies "Loves" America like Michael Jackson "Loves" little boys.
LMAO...

I'd have said, "loves" America the same way that Ike loved Tina.

But, what's love got to do with it...got to do with it? :wink:

Eagle

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

:lol: :lol: Classic Eagle!!!!!

Ike and Tina is a far better comparison..........maybe OJ and Nicole might be even closer though. :wink:

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Getting back on point (hey, the world is big enough for Spanish and Gardy) there is finally an oddball coalition of Democrats and Republicans confronting this lunacy from the administration.

It's the tragic-comic meeting of their belief in global privatization (and coziness with some regimes) coming around and biting their "we're the best ones to protect you" stance in the ass.

Let the uproar continue! Gardener....for President... :shock: :lol:

W aides' biz ties to Arab firm

BY MICHAEL McAULIFF,DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Breaking news update: Bush shrugs off objections to port deal

WASHINGTON - The Dubai firm that won Bush administration backing to run six U.S. ports has at least two ties to the White House.

One is Treasury Secretary John Snow, whose agency heads the federal panel that signed off on the $6.8 billion sale of an English company to government-owned Dubai Ports World - giving it control of Manhattan's cruise ship terminal and Newark's container port.

Snow was chairman of the CSX rail firm that sold its own international port operations to DP World for $1.15 billion in 2004, the year after Snow left for President Bush's cabinet.

The other connection is David Sanborn, who runs DP World's European and Latin American operations and was tapped by Bush last month to head the U.S. Maritime Administration.

The ties raised more concerns about the decision to give port control to a company owned by a nation linked to the 9/11 hijackers.

"The more you look at this deal, the more the deal is called into question," said Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), who said the deal was rubber-stamped in advance - even before DP World formally agreed to buy London's P&O port company.

Besides operations in New York and Jersey, Dubai would also run port facilities in Philadelphia, New Orleans, Baltimore and Miami.

The political fallout over the deal only grows.

"It's particularly troubling that the United States would turn over its port security not only to a foreign company, but a state-owned one," said western New York's Rep. Tom Reynolds, chairman of the National Republican Campaign Committee. Reynolds is responsible for helping Republicans keep their majority in the House.

Snow's Treasury Department runs the Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S., which includes 11 other agencies.

"It always raises flags" when administration officials have ties to a firm, Rep. Vito Fossella (R-S.I.) said, but insisted that stopping the deal was more important.

The Daily News has learned that lawmakers also want to know if a detailed 45-day probe should have been conducted instead of one that lasted no more than 25 days.

According to a 1993 congressional measure, the longer review is mandated when the company is owned by a foreign government and the purchase "could result in control of a person engaged in interstate commerce in the U.S. that could affect the national security of the U.S."

Congressional sources said the President has until March 2 to trigger that harder look.

"The most important thing is for someone to explain how this is consistent with our national security," Fossella said.

Originally published on February 21, 2006

Feb 21, 6:15 PM EST

Bush Shrugs Off Objections to Port Deal

By BEN FELLER ,Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Overriding objections from Republicans and Democrats alike, President Bush endorsed the takeover of shipping operations at six major U.S. seaports by a state-owned business in the United Arab Emirates. He pledged to veto efforts in Congress to block the agreement....

Separately, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said port security would not be threatened. "This is not a question about port security," Gonzales said. "This is a question about port operation." :roll: :evil: :lol:
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

G G in the white house.

Heaven help us.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Yeah, a guy who thinks Elvis was all hype in the '50s and that Carl Perkins, Eddie Cochran (and presumably Bo Diddley, Little Richard and Chuck Berry?) "wuz robbed"? :lol: ... Yes, keep him out the White House!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21244&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Seriously, this Port issue puts to lie the notion that the GOP wants to protect us more than the opposition. Either that, or they are half-assed about it and thus super-hypocritical. Luckily there is a bi-partisan uproar.

One apologist in one piece tried to make the point that Richard Reid (the shoe moron)"was 'British'" so....it's hypocritical to criticise this nation when a London-based country had the previous contract....

It seems that some folks still have trouble identifying the enemy.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Graceland Gardener

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Yeah, a guy who thinks Elvis was all hype in the '50s and that Carl Perkins, Eddie Cochran (and presumably Bo Diddley, Little Richard and Chuck Berry?) "wuz robbed"? :lol: ... Yes, keep him out the White House!
Excuse me?

Don't twist my f**** words.

Elvis '50s is not all hype --
the failure of OTHER ROCKERS to excel or endure is because of THE HYPE SURROUNDING ELVIS which negates them as virtually non-existent...or inferior.

it's unfair to them.

Why did Elvis never get to do a "great acting role" - because the studios involved with him wanted to maintain a certain HYPE with Elvis doing *Elvis movies*

Why did Elvis take a backseat to the MopTop Movement?

More HYPE surrounding them than he.

Understand now, boy?

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Time for your meds or something.

Calm the hell down.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Graceland Gardener

Don't be an ass then.

Or fish for laughs by being incorrect about what I think of Elvis, 50s or otherwise.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

You should cool off, GG. You seem to come on here with way too much venom. I like many of your insights, even unpopular ones at some level, but when it gets personal, it's just a waste of our time.

These guidelines apply to all of us. We'd all fight dirty but then we'd run afoul of the rules.
administrator wrote:Messages that doesn't follow these rules will be deleted without any warnings

1- If you have a complaint or commentaries concerning the board then send us an e-mail at fecc@elvis-collectors.com . Don't try to lecture us on the board about what we should or not do.

2- Use of bad language : It's possible to disagree with someone without cussing or the likes.

3- Personal attacks

4- Political or/and religious debates could be deleted without any warnings.

5- Do not fight any personal wars on this board.

6- Complete irrelevant threads.

7- Do not mention names or email-adresses of persons when they might be getting problems, no matter who this person is or what these problems are.

8- Advertisement : Repetitive advertisements for selling or for plugging a website ( including "bumping of the threads" back on top ) could be also deleted.

9- Links : You can link about everything in here but keep it clean. If you see a thread disappear, then it most likely contained a " forbidden link " and / or contain a product we don't want to see on our forum.

10- Using a board member identity for causing problems on a thread by example will have the messages deleted and blocked access to this board.

11- Downloads, streaming videos and other links to copyrighted material. Consequently it will be now PROHIBITED to advertise the sales / trades of illegal products on this Forum. The download of " songs " is also prohibited from an FTP server or from any other sources if linked on our forum.

Enjoy your stay and treat everyone with respect........(edit)
-----------------------------------------------
Regards,

FECC Team

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Graceland Gardener

GREG -

you made it personal when you started talking sh*t about me on this thread.

Just scroll up some, and see where
YOU MADE IT A PERSONAL ATTACK AGAINST GG.
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:35 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, a guy who thinks Elvis was all hype in the '50s and that Carl Perkins, Eddie Cochran (and presumably Bo Diddley, Little Richard and Chuck Berry?) "wuz robbed"? ... Yes, keep him out the White House!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21244&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Seeeeeeeeee?

Clean up YOUR own backyard.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

"Personal" does not mean going into the gutter and holding a grudge as you do to a fault, to our mass boredom and fatigue.

Learn the art of friendly banter and we'll all benefit.

That's all I have to say on this (I hope) and you can insert your comeback
as you surely will.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Graceland Gardener

"as you surely will"

First thing you got right.

You fail to notice that at no time were my initial posts (on 2 forums)
was I addressing you, or talking about you,
not at all.

But yet you jump in to "shove" me and target me

That's your doing.

Please don't do it.

Peace!
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

MSNBC is reporting:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11494815/
Bush unaware of port deal until after approval
White House: President only learned recently of handover to Arab firm

BREAKING NEWS
The Associated Press
Updated: 10:43 a.m. ET Feb. 22, 2006

WASHINGTON - President Bush was unaware of the pending sale of shipping operations at six major U.S. seaports to a state-owned business in the United Arab Emirates until the deal already had been approved by his administration, the White House said Wednesday.

Defending the deal anew, the administration also said that it should have briefed Congress sooner about the transaction, which has triggered a major political backlash among both Republicans and Democrats.

Bush on Tuesday brushed aside objections by leaders in the Senate and House that the $6.8 billion sale could raise risks of terrorism at American ports. In a forceful defense of his administration’s earlier approval of the deal, he pledged to veto any bill Congress might approve to block the agreement.

The sale’s harshest critics were not appeased by the president's threat.

“I will fight harder than ever for this legislation, and if it is vetoed I will fight as hard as I can to override it,” said Rep. Pete King, R-N.Y., chairman of the Homeland Security Committee. King and Democratic Sen. Charles Schumer of New York said they will introduce emergency legislation to suspend the ports deal....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11494815/
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Graceland Gardener

Bush plans to VETO any stop to the deal.

Whatthf*** The USA shouldn't be giving our Port Authorities to foreign countries least of which Arab ones.