Off Topic Messages

To All Board Members

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:38 pm

Today is my birthday. I have lived two years longer than Elvis did.

Normally, I wouldn't make a post to announce such a thing. Even though I have fussed over birthdays of other people, I have always tried to avoid talking about mine. It's just that today, there are some things that I want to say.

It seems like just yesterday, my main concern in life was getting enough neighborhood kids together on Saturday to get a baseball game going. That was about 30 years ago, but seems like the twinkling of an eye. My priorities have certainly changed over the years. I served 6 years in the United States Army and changed my values and opinions on a lot of things in life. I was the lead singer in my own country band for 10 years until I got burned out while hitting the road every single weekend playing shows all over Indiana and Kentucky. I haven't done that for the past three years, but still enjoy getting the old guitar out every now and then with some friends and having a good time. I don't do much of anything that I used to enjoy doing because my job takes up most of my time. I say all of that to say this.

I still enjoy my Elvis CD collection and usually spend some quiet time each weekend listening to the man, whether it be a concert, recording session or rehearsal. There have been a couple of things over the past several days that has happened and makes me reflect on the important things in my life. My family is the most important thing. I have been married to the same woman for 23 years (poor girl) and have two young adult children.

Another thing that I get enjoyment out of is this board. There are times when I read certain posts and wonder what the author has been smoking. I also do not agree with many opinions on here. If I don't agree with something or I feel like someone is way out of line, you'll know it. I can be a smart ass at times, but that's just me. You can laugh at it, get upset with it or overlook it. That's your choice. However, I want to take this opportunity to tell you all that even though I do not agree with some of you, I try to respect your opinion. People make comments about the Doc. I like the Doc and appreciate his contributions to this board. There are too many of you to name, but I appreciate the posts of Greg, Colin, Tom, Scatter, Blue-Gypsy, LTB, JLGB, Carolyn, and the list goes on. I cannot mention everyone, but you are included in this list. I appreciate the pictures that Funky posts. Everyone contributes in their own way. I hope that in some way, I have contributed to this board. It is strictly a hobby and done in my spare time, but I do look forward to being here almost on a daily basis. Sometimes, I spend way too much time on here while I'm supposed to be working.

I may get over this mellow mood I'm in later and delete this. However, I just wanted to make this post to say that I appreciate the opportunity to chat with you all whether we agree or not.

Again, this post is something that I normally would not do. It's just that with some of the things that have happened recently, I just felt a little like spilling my guts. I don't ask for, or expect any replies. Feel free to do so if you wish.

Everyone have a safe weekend. We don't want to lose anyone else.
Last edited by Rob on Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:46 pm

Cheer up! :D
And donĀ“t work too much. Happy birthday.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:52 pm

Happy Birthday Rob. I just got the Elvis US singles box set. There's nothing like a bit of Elvis to cheer us up!!!!

:D

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:54 pm

I think a few of us are feeling like this. Try and have a good birthday.
Enjoy what you have and be thankful.
Happy Birthday.
From Mrs Mcghee.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:22 pm

Happy Birthday Rob. I am adding this edit after the fact cause I sometimes expect people to read my mind. I wish you all the best as well.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:07 pm

Happy Birthday Rob.

My family has so many birthdays in February 4th brother, 10, 17 brother in law, 26 mother, 29 my sons..he'll be 46! He's a grandfather!

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:11 pm

Happy Birthday, Rob, and many more of them.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:29 pm

Hope you have a great birthday, Rob. :D

I've enjoyed reading your posts, and always looking forward to the new ones...

Regards,
Rich

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:35 pm

Rob -
I appreciate your post, and understand what you're saying. I get that melancholy frame of mind quite a bit these days. I'll be 46 in about a month.
I hope you have a happy Birthday! And thanks for your service to our country.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:50 pm

A very Happy Birthday Rob and don't be too hard on yourself. Not that it's time for the tapioca pudding and hours of Matlock reruns, but it sounds like your life has been pretty cool: 10 years having fun in a band, 6 years serving your country (THANK YOU!!!!), a very successful marriage and raising two kids. I say congratulations and, if you think that was fun, just wait to see what the next 40 years bring.

Tom

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:55 pm

Happy Birthday, Rob! I also get where you're coming from. Sometimes all it takes is one event to get your mind going and headed down the path you've mentioned...I think a lot of us, myself included, have had time to reflect on life recently. There's nothing more important than the ones you love... and time is precious and limited. Taking a few minutes (at least) out of every day to let those important to us know how we feel is really all we can do.

I hope everyone here, without exception, knows how much I appreciate them and their contributions to this board. This one small part of my life brings me a lot of enjoyment.

Enjoy your day!

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:15 pm

Happy birthday Rob!! Wish you the best!

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:19 pm

Happy Birthday Rob.

Everyone here has written such eloquent things and I can only agree.

Also there are some boards listing birthdays, if the user has provided the information. In the "Who Is Online" section, even when you are not online, which you shouldn't be on your special day, because you should be celebrating. Anyway I always thought that was a nice thing, because you keep in touch with what member of the community is.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:32 pm

Happy birthday Rob.
I'll be 59 soon but I remember vividly being 12 and discovering Elvis' music. How time flies when it's cosy.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:37 pm

Happy B-Day Rob. When death hits us it's easy to get sad and when it hits around a milestone like our birthdays it's even easier. It's just a natural thing. I also hope your new pleasures equal your old.

I echo Tom's comment about your time in the service. Good job. Thanks.

I also appreciate your presence on the board.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:47 pm

Happy Birthday Rob! You do contribute ALOT to the board and you deserve each and eveyone of the thanks you'll get for making this board enjoyable and fun. I'm really glad to know that the King Of Rock N Roll unites all of us, from all over the world. It says alot of him and just how much he means to us.

Cheers, T.
*And thanks for being brave enough to serve for our country, we all appreciate all the men and women like you.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:48 pm

Have a good one Rob - getting to be older than Elvis was a real milestone for me too.

This boards a good place, we'd having nothing to measure the good against if it wasn't for the occasional buffoon :lol:

Best wishes for the next 44!

Geoff

Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:33 pm

Happy Birthday, Rob. And many more....

Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:54 pm

Happy birthday Rob, heck I wish you happiness everyday

Just take life as it comes, look at every day as a bonus from yesterday.

jb

Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:59 pm

Happy Birthday to you Rob!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know how you feel and have felt that way many times myself but I can tell you that you have many more happy years ahead...

When I feel that way I always listen to Elvis music and it really seems to bring me out of it...."Have a Very Happy Birthday and many more to come!!!" Dovey

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:05 am

Happy Birthday Rob. :lol:

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:26 am

Have a great weekend Rob, and enjoy your birthday with your family!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:29 am

Yes, Happy Birthday, Rob :smt113 , and I think we know we're you're coming from in your post, in as much as this weird and surreal "community" might...

In Elvis years, as absurd as that sounds, I'm "in 1972", so I sometimes relate to things along those lines as well. My brother passed age 42 a few years ago and couldn't help remarking on it. And ever since.

And none of us needed the reminder we had in the last week (or I hope not) but it serves to keep some perspective just the same.

Most of the shananigans here are in good fun (or should be) and I hope we all are stopping to smell the roses...

And turn to turn the damned computer off sometimes...and to get back to work...too... 8)

Enjoy your day...
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:14 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:In Elvis years, as absurd as that sounds, I'm "in 1972", so I sometimes relate to things along those lines as well.

Thats just funny! I think along these lines sometimes as well! lol 8)

So I guess I would actually be about "Summer of '76" now! :smt046

Hey I wonder what Tom in NC & ColinB are in "Dodger" years? lol

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:40 am

Happy Birthday Rob !

While I don't post here as much as I used to, not a day goes by that I don't go to the MB and check out everyones post. Always a great way to begin the day, as well as to end the day. Thanks for all the great information as well as a little entertainment to get me through the day !