Off Topic Messages

Curling ?

Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:57 pm

I`m watching the winter Olympics, and trying to fathom out Curling, but i`m rapidly losing the will to live.

What gives with this "sport" ?

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:18 pm

You can thank the Scots for inventing the thing and the Canadians for "popularizing" it.

I can't wait for the next Olympic games when Watching Paint Dry becomes an official event.

At least that would be more exciting than hurling a rock and sweeping around it. :lol:

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:25 pm

Errol -

It must be the only sport which you play and sweep up the mess at the same time !

Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:50 pm

Nice one Colin!

The Scots invented it ??.....blimey, i always thought one of those boring
places like Finland or Belgium would have invented curling !

Andf how come all the blokes look like trainspotters, and the gals look like blokes who look like trainspotters ?

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:05 am

Thank goodness the USA has sane sports like Hog Calling.

We have Curling in NZ every year for about two months in our deep south (where the ice is). It gives the hicks down there something to do when the sheep are too cold!

Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:32 am

Ezzz wrote:Nice one Colin!

The Scots invented it ??.....blimey, i always thought one of those boring
places like Finland or Belgium would have invented curling !

Andf how come all the blokes look like trainspotters, and the gals look like blokes who look like trainspotters ?

Finland boring? Have you ever been out of Derby?

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:17 pm

Oh i`ve been to Belgium and Finland......... almost as bad as Bulgaria... :shock:

Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:50 pm

Ezzz wrote:Oh i`ve been to Belgium and Finland......... almost as bad as Bulgaria... :shock:

But Errol the real question is: have you been from Maine to Tennessee, Mexico and Wakiki? :)

Seriously though there are some questionable Olympic sports.

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:05 pm

I have always been a sports fanatic, but would someone please tell me if, when curlers are scrubbing the ice like all hell, are they trying to make the stone go faster, or slow it down?

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:19 pm

Khoots wrote:
are they trying to make the stone go faster, or slow it down?

Actually, they're trying to make the worlds most expensive snowcone.

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:43 pm

KHoots wrote:I have always been a sports fanatic, but would someone please tell me if, when curlers are scrubbing the ice like all hell, are they trying to make the stone go faster, or slow it down?

It all depends ...usually to go faster ... :oops:

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:07 am

So, to recap, they're trying to make snocones faster--erm, faster snocones, or something. I think I'm gettin' er now. Thanks, guys!