Off Topic Messages

Classic War Films on SE DVD's

Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:54 pm

Just in time for Memorial day:

Warner has announced that a 2-disc The Dirty Dozen: Special Edition will street on May 23rd. The set will include anamorphic widescreen video, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio and many, many extras

Fox followed suit and announced new 2-disc special editions of Tora! Tora! Tora!, Patton and The Longest Day for release on the same day. Each will feature anamorphic widescreen video. Patton will include an introduction and audio commentary by filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola, a photo gallery with audio essay, The Making of Patton documentary, the History Through the Lens: Patton: A Rebel Revisited and Patton's Ghost Corps featurettes, a production stills gallery (accompanied by Jerry Goldsmith's complete musical score) and the film's original theatrical trailer. Tora! Tora! Tora! will include commentary by director Richard Fleischer and Japanese film historian Stewart Galbraith, the Day of Infamy documentary, 3 behind-the-scenes featurettes, 10 original Movietone News historical shorts and the film's theatrical trailer. Finally, The Longest Day will include historical audio commentary, 5 featurettes, a stills gallery and the film's theatrical trailer.

Tom

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:27 pm

Tom -

Was I dreaming, or did I once see a colourised version of The Longest Day ?

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:56 pm

ColinB wrote:Tom -

Was I dreaming, or did I once see a colourised version of The Longest Day ?

You did, for a very, very brief time. Fox jumped on the God-awful "let's colorize everything" bandwagon that Ted Turner started and released this, and many other classic B/W films, in color. Fortunately, film purists, critics, studios, directors, producers, and everyone else in the business had a monumental fit and the phase was short lived.

Tom

Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:43 pm

Tom -

Actually I'm not against this colouring of films.

As long as we still have the original b & w version.

I'm waiting for King Creole !

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:39 pm

"King Creole" would not nearly be so good in color. The B&W better reflects the movie's harsh content.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:04 pm

What about "Jailhouse Rock"? I have seen the colorized version and in my opinion the weak colors don't look natural. But while we're at it, I think we should add arms to all the armless sculptures. :D

2004 news.

Colorization Returns

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment will introduce a new DVD enhancement on Aug. 10 when it releases two Three Stooges movies that includes technology that will allow viewers to watch the movies in their original black-and-white version or a new colorized version. The colorized version will use a new digital process created by West Wing Studios, which according to CTHE, "brings incredible new life to black-and-white classics and has the potential to win over a more contemporary audience for these films." A similar argument was made by media mogul Ted Turner in the late 1980s, when he began to present colorized versions of classic movies on his TV channels. But the colorized films were denounced by some movie buffs then as "cultural vandalism," forcing Turner to abandon the colorization process in 1995.

-------
my opinion:

The problem with colorization is that it's never been done well. At best, it looks like badly stored early color film, and at worst, it looks like a technicolor explosion. I'd say that, in the long run, it's best that the practice failed. Some exceptions, such as old newsreel footage. eg in the film "Thirteen Days" they took the clips, colorized them and it looked terrific in widescreen format. However "The Hustler" and other complete b/w films will never look nearly as good in color, because they are obviously lit to fit and play off the b/w image. Film is, in essence, a dance of light and shadow, and nowhere is that concept most fully realized than in black & white movies.

----

I don't think I am going to purchase Patton again, because I am pretty happy with the bonus material on the current edition. I'd consider buying it together with a new edition of TTWII though. :wink:

Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:27 pm

Melanie wrote: I'd consider buying it together with a new edition of TTWII though. :wink:

Start saving your pennies.

Tom

Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:29 pm

This is great news! :D

I love those old war flicks!!!

Any word on SE versions for Battle Of The Bulge and The Green Berets?

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:52 am

Big Boss Man wrote:Any word on SE versions for Battle Of The Bulge and The Green Berets?

I have heard rumors about SE's of both for several years now, but nothing has surfaced as of yet. I have no doubt that they will....eventually.....be released, though.

Tom

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:33 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
Melanie wrote: I'd consider buying it together with a new edition of TTWII though. :wink:

Start saving your pennies.

Tom

:shock:

Really ?!

Well, my Budweiser penny bottle bank is getting filled up....

Rich

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:02 am

Rich_TCB wrote:Really ?!

Really!

Tom

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:02 pm

Thanks for the info, Tom.

My favourite war film is "A Bridge Too Far". Many's the time I stayed up late as a kid watching that with my Dad.

Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:17 pm

Nothing can beat Saving Private Ryan.

Let's see what Good Ol' Clint offers us later this year 8)

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:27 pm

Spanish_Eyes wrote:Nothing can beat Saving Private Ryan.

Uh....the Longest Day already did.

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:55 pm

And in the end Der Untergang, Das Boot and Stalingrad blow all these (lame) Hollywood productions out of the water completely!

Sincerely MB280E

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:07 am

The Big Red One.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:10 am

Pete Dube wrote:The Big Red One.

Ladies, that's the title of an excellent WW-2 film, not a description of a personal attribute of mine. Although I do have some native Amercian ancestry.