Off Topic Messages

Day of silence for Silver?

Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:24 pm

I was wondering if we could take a day and not post in memory of Silver/Sue? Sort of like a moment of silence but because a message board is so diffuse it's hard to get everyone together for one moment. If the administrators could designate a 24 hour period with an explanation on timelines it would make a nice statement.

It won't help her or family in any practical way but it'll show she made an impact. She was one of the most consistently kind and generous members of the board. It'd be nice to show how much that mattered and going day without dissecting Elvis' hairstyle in "Aloha" or whether so and so song is as good as song x won't hurt us any.

Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:31 pm

I was thinking we ought to mark Sue's passing in some way.

Great idea, LTB.

Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:50 pm

Good one, Likethebike.

An alternative would be an Irish Wake.

Celebrate her life, her thoughtfullness, encouragement and humanity during her time with us.

But I will go a day or days without posting if that is seen as the most popular tribute.

Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:52 pm

i think that's a wonderful idea

Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:00 pm

What about making one of her lovely posts a "sticky" one for a certain time..??

Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:19 pm

It's terribly immodest of me to say so, but I think my earlier posting is a better way to capture the spirit of community we're trying to pay tribute to:

elvissessions.com wrote:I suggest we pay our respects to Silver by taking the time to treat each other with enough respect to be worthy of her thoughtfulness.

amplified on by MauriceinIreland

MauriceinIreland wrote:An alternative would be an Irish Wake.

Celebrate her life, her thoughtfullness, encouragement and humanity during her time with us.

But if others prefer a more stark tribute, I'll certainly go along.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:00 am

likethebikeĀ“s idea sounds good. She deserves this and all ideas.

Anything you guys decide about it I will cooperate.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:21 am

elvissessions.com wrote:It's terribly immodest of me to say so, but I think my earlier posting is a better way to capture the spirit of community we're trying to pay tribute to:

Perhaps we could do both.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:51 am

Its very sad indeed what has happened and 'Silver' will be truly missed.

Its great to do something as a way of showing respect for 'Silver' but i dont think 'Silver' would have wanted a 'day of silence' on this board seeing as how much enjoyment she got out of it.

I think what would be nice was if as many members as possible,for say about a week, would change their SIGNATURE and have it say the same thing as a sign of how much she meant to other members on this board.

If someone could come up with a slogan and everyone would change it.

I really think this is something she would have loved.

Just an idea mind.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:43 am

Sean Ryan wrote:I think what would be nice was if as many members as possible,for say about a week, would change their SIGNATURE and have it say the same thing as a sign of how much she meant to other members on this board.

ThatĀ“s a GREAT idea. I agree.

What you guys think about it?? A beautiful thing to do.

Re: Day of silence for Silver?

Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:47 am

likethebike wrote:I was wondering if we could take a day and not post in memory of Silver/Sue? Sort of like a moment of silence but because a message board is so diffuse it's hard to get everyone together for one moment. If the administrators could designate a 24 hour period with an explanation on timelines it would make a nice statement.

I thought the same thing before reading your post. Tuesday, February 14th is Valentine's Day. She was such a sweetheart that this would be as good a day as any.

Everyone in agreement? No posts on Tuesday February 14th?

Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:57 am

Rough. Very rough.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:00 pm

carolynlm wrote:Sounds good to me.....
Is everyone else finding it difficult to get through the day?

I mentioned on the other thread how strange it is to miss someone you never really knew, but yeah, it's one of those things which always kind of lingers on your mind, ya know? Life goes on, and we all do the things we do, but the news just sits there.

It gets tougher, because the board members are coming forward with all these marvelous stories about the kind of person she was, and the loss hits home even more.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:22 am

Good call, LTB.

For those who missed it, there's a similiar thread on the "All-Elvis" forum making the same proposal:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=