Off Topic Messages

Paul Weller

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:13 pm

There’s a great feature on Paul Weller in the latest edition of “Uncut” magazine.

It’s well known that the likes of The Beatles, The Small Faces and The Who have been major influences on his work, but what I found interesting about this article is that Paul cited one of his earliest musical memories as being taken to the cinema by his mother to watch he Elvis films back in the ‘60’s.

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:20 pm

Was an absolutely massive Jam fan in my youth, was totally gutted when they split up, followed his career since then although with not as much "passion" as the Jam, his latest album has some excellent tracks on it and he is apparantly a sound down to earth guy. He will be getting a lifetime award form the Brits this week. good effort

Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:02 pm

I have every release Weller has put out (The Jam, The Style Council, Paul Weller Movement and solo stuff ), except for the dodgy covers album he released a couple of years ago, and have seen him live several times. So i was a little shocked to read he will be accepting the Brit award, as he has slagged off this award many times before.

He has mentioned many times in interviews his early memories of seeing Elvis films at the cinema. Though i don`t think you could call him an Elvis fan.

Must say though, i found his comments on past winners of this award, Bowie, U2, etc in the Uncut interview, very funny

Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:54 pm

One of the few artists worth watching at the boring Brits.

I thought his comments about the media and John Lennon were spot on. Revisionist history.