Off Topic Messages

Bill Haley - It's 25 years now !

Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:21 pm

Bill Haley died 25 years ago today aged 55.

For a while there in '55/'56 Bill led the rock 'n' roll revolution.

He pioneered the genre in those early days with hits like Rock Around The Clock and Shake, Rattle & Roll.

His star was only dimmed by the advent of Elvis, who quickly took over the crown.

If only Bill had been a tad younger, better-looking, more charismatic....

Re: Bill Haley - It's 25 years now !

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:36 pm

ColinB wrote:If only Bill had been a tad younger, better-looking, more charismatic....


In other words Colin, if only Bill had been Elvis! :)

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:59 pm

Tom Hanks is working on a Bill Haley Biopic I believe. Great news!

Expect more, "Who started Rock 'n' Roll?" stories :)

Who started Classical music? it wasn't Ludwig Van Beethoven.......but... :lol:

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:05 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:Who started Classical music? it wasn't Ludwig Van Beethoven.......but... :lol:


Mantovani

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:10 pm

:lol: That's the LAST time I'll ask that question :wink:

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:18 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote::lol: That's the LAST time I'll ask that question :wink:


And the last time I'll answer it !

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:02 pm

Well it was all (ancient) Greek to you anyway :P

"In Greek mythology, music had a divine origen: it's inventors and earliest practitioners were gods and demi gods, such as Opollo, Amphon, and Orpheus". A History of Western Music.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:15 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:Well it was all (ancient) Greek to you anyway :P

"In Greek mythology, music had a divine origen: it's inventors and earliest practitioners were gods and demi gods, such as Opollo, Amphon, and Orpheus". A History of Western Music.


Fascinating stuff Maurice, but what's it got to do with Bill Haley ?

Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:40 pm

Search me, Colin.
I was just rambling on as Great granddads do. I'm allowed to now. :lol:

"Thirteen women and me the only man in town, thirteen women and me the only man around, I had two girls doing the Mambo, two girls balling the jack and all the rest really did their best and I was alive and........." Bill Haley.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:02 pm

Maurice -

13 Women!

Oh, the memories.........

I could tell you an interesting anecdote about that one.......................

...... but on 2nd thoughts, I don't want to bore the posters on here with it.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:23 pm

How about on third thought..................

Just watch the increase in hits as the word, Colin is confessing, gets out :)

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:07 pm

Oh, alright then....

Nothing risque, just an insight as to the lengths we had to go to in order to hear the latest music back then.

It's late 1955.

A new music is just beginning to break.

Music which the teenagers are latching on to.

But not the adults !

Music you can dance to !

But in our house, we didn't have any records.

We didn't have a record player !

But as a 13-year-old lad I had older sisters who had girl friends who did !

We borrowed the little portable players and the 78 records from them !

Two of them were Anne and Joan.

We had Joan's player and records at one time, and I tried to find a song I remembered playing previously.

Couldn't remember who sang it, but it was about 13 women !

No luck, no such song. so we asked Joan.

"Yes, it's one of mine" she replied "If you've lost it, you'll have to replace it !"

Then we asked Anne - "Yes, I've got that one, it's the flip of Rock Around The Clock !"

We then told a red-faced Joan what we'd discovered and she muttered something about not remembering every record she had !

And to think youngsters today have CD players soon as they can walk !

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:09 am

Let's say Bill had the looks/youth of say Eddie Cochran. And let's say he had a run of hits up to the advent of the Beatles. Would people be saying about him the things they say about Elvis such as: 'couldn't play the guitar too good;' 'ripped off black music;' 'didn't write his own songs;' ect.?

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:57 am

It wasn't just looks and charisma and age that doomed Haley. Fats Domino was not only almost 30 years old in 1955 but was also about 50 pounds overweight and black. Yet he was the second most prolific artist on the pop charts during this era. Haley's demise also came from the lack of elasticity in his voice and the distance of his music from R&B and gospel fervor. He was definitely a pioneer in the new sound and helped to break the music but Elvis had more on him than looks and youth.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:13 pm

R.I.B. Bill

Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:41 pm

likethebike wrote:It wasn't just looks and charisma and age that doomed Haley. Fats Domino was not only almost 30 years old in 1955 but was also about 50 pounds overweight and black. Yet he was the second most prolific artist on the pop charts during this era. Haley's demise also came from the lack of elasticity in his voice and the distance of his music from R&B and gospel fervor. He was definitely a pioneer in the new sound and helped to break the music but Elvis had more on him than looks and youth.


Yes, when I wrote "If only Bill had been a tad younger, better-looking, more charismatic..." maybe I should have added "and more talented" !

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:34 pm

With 55 he didn´t get very old..can someone tell me the cause of his death..??
I like his very last LP with "That´s How I Got to Memphis"....I think the title was Everyone Can Rock and Roll...

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:43 pm

Cisco -
Sadly, Bill Haley was an alcoholic. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe his death was due to alchohol related health issues.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:23 pm

Oh sh*t...I didn´t know this..
Has anybody deeper infos..was his liver wrecked ..??
Or was it an accident with alcohol...??...... :cry:

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:35 am

Six times six is thirty-six, I ain't gonna hit but six more licks.

We're gonna rock, rock this joint,

We're gonna rock, rock this joint

We're gonna rock, rock this joint tonight...

Rock on, Bill!

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:22 am

Ciscoking wrote:With 55 he didn´t get very old..can someone tell me the cause of his death..??


The site where I got the info from says it was a heart attack.

But I'd always thought it was a stroke................

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:19 am

I recently bought the re-mastered CD Rock Around The Clock by Geffen Records 2004.

It has the original tracks with R-O-C-K, the Sain'ts Rock And Roll and See You Later Alligator has Bonus tracks.

The CD features the original artwork and I note that the LP was also available as three 45rpm EP's - just like Elvis' first two.

On the back cover it reads "Fox Trots with Vocal Chorus by Bill Haley". The wording Rock and Roll is not mentioned.

The original was issued December 19, 1955.