Off Topic Messages

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:25 pm

Yeah, too many discs today would easily qualify...

More seriously, I was also thinking that the anonymous factor of the internet and mb's like this one means we get meaner than we might in person. The Shark site is full of that flavor.

They also say the 'net is more "male" as a result. We like throwing our weight around and it might explain the dearth of female contributions even here.

I also think the aggression is part of the fun, but LTB is on to something about the larger culture.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:21 pm

As a footnote, this weekend the Washington Post had an article about how the omsbudsmen's e-mail and the blog had to be taken down after she mistakenly said that lobbyist Abramoff had contributed to equally to Dems and the GOP in that scandal.

Apparently, she -and then her editor Jim Brady, were subjected to all sorts of verbal abuse (sexual, threats, etc). His piece was all about the paper's right to weed out and ban such "commentary." He remarked on what the internet has wrought...

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:30 am

I read through more of that "JUMP THE SHARK" site, LTB.

You're right: there is some free-floating hostility, as seen on the reviews of RESCUE ME; TWILIGHT ZONE, etc.

It sure makes you pine for the old (?) era of "The Editor."