Off Topic Messages

Katharine Hepburn has died...another film legend

Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:08 am

Katharine Hepburn has passed away at the age of 96. A truly great actress and interesting human being.
She will be missed.

jeff R

Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:01 am

A first-class lady. I believe she is still the most-nominated -- or victorious -- actress in Oscar history. We should all have such a good life.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:32 am

Here's one connection Katharine had to Elvis. I'm sure most everyone knows this.
Elvis did a film test for the film "The Rainmaker" before he did "Love Me Tender". Katharine Hepburn and Burt Lancaster were the two stars of the film. I believe Elvis did a scene with Katharine Hepburn that was, of course, discarded. Earl Holliman got the role that Elvis was to play.
That sure would have been a great cast to work with in his film debut.
A great lady who did her own stunt work for some films when she was around 80 years old. " On Golden Pond" comes immediately to mind.

jeff R

Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:52 pm

Ms. Hepburn lived in Old Saybrook Connecticut, which is about 30-40 minutes up the coast from my hometown Milford, Ct. Sometime in the late 50's or early 60's Ms. Hepburn was starring in a play at the Shakespeare theater in Stratford CT. My father was visiting a friend who's house was located on the shore of a small bay/salt marsh directly across from the theater property. My father looked across the bay and spotted Ms. Hepburn wading in the water. He shouted "hello Katherine" to her, to which Ms. Hepburn looked across the bay at my father, gave him a big grin and waved hello. An extraordinary actress, an extraordinary woman!

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:18 am

A great lady and a legendary American actress. My favorite movie with her is "The African Queen". The combination Bogart-Hepburn was unbeatable! And it was shot on location in Africa, in crazy circumstances, that lady had a whole lotta guts, a true professional... :)

Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:01 am

Doc I believe she IS the biggest Oscar winning Actor or Actress. 11 nominations and 4 wins...I think. I am truly looking forward to some TV marathons. Love the African Queen and On Golden Pond. Which movie is the one that the cartoons parody...the old "really I do" line?

Though of personal note. John Williams is the true king. Nominated over 40 times and winning 5. Hell at times he was actually nominated twice in one year!!

Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:35 pm

Katharine Hepburn has the most wins, but Meryl Streep now holds the record for most nominations.