Off Topic Messages

Say hello to Scarlett!

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:27 am

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:33 am

Check out the "making of" video at

http://www.vanityfair.com/
Only the Alizee videos on Youtube.com out do it!
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:43 am

Pitiful! :twisted:

I have alot of comments, but I will let the pics and videos speak for themselves. :oops:

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:58 am

Whose that John Saxon look-a-like, hair grown long on 1 side and flopped over guy nibbling on Keira's ear?

Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:06 am

Looks even better in full size ratio .... it wouldn't hurt for Scarlett to visit the odd tanning bed, but then again, who cares?

Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:20 am

Pete Dube wrote:Whose that John Saxon look-a-like, hair grown long on 1 side and flopped over guy nibbling on Keira's ear?

Pete,
There's probably about 5 people on this board who get that. Classic!!! :lol:

Tom

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:32 am

Ok, help me out here.

Is this a trick question?

What guy?????

Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:50 pm

It's Tom Ford, isn't it ?

Doesn't he know comb-overs went out in the 80's ?

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:56 pm

"John Ford"? I thought that was John Saxon for a minute, too.

Having recently watched "Enter the Dragon" from the early '70s,
I was about to say that he had stumbled upon the fountain of youth...

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:04 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Whose that John Saxon look-a-like, hair grown long on 1 side and flopped over guy nibbling on Keira's ear?

John Saxon ?!?

lol

I saw a 1960s teen mag
that had his face on the cover
like he was the latest hunk to arrive.
His publicist must've arranged that.

---

you'd be surprised the number of actors
who got a wow! 16/tigerbeat mag mention
in their early days -
and wound up being some of the
homeliest, grittiest (and B-movie stars)
to come down the pike

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:14 pm

How did Leif Garrett ever get his mug all over those teen rags when I was a kid in the '70s? I recall seeing them on the newstands and thinking, "who is that and what show is he on?" I get the feeling he was bigger in those magazines than in anything else (music or TV).

Talk about publicists!

At least Saxon was an actor. Did his own karate in that flick, too.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:45 pm

I gotta ask a question. Considering that you've got Keira and Scarlett, 2 of the most beautiful young actresses out there - Keira with that captivating face that can launch 1000 ships, and Scarlet with that voluptuous body and lips and those lovely eyes, and that they're both butt naked, then how do you do this photo spread and not have a raging hard-on for the ages going if you're this Ford cat? Shoot, if I were in his position in the photo Keira would think she's getting her kidney extracted!

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:10 pm

I don't really understand their motivation for doing this. They are both big news in Hollywood, with no shortage of publicity or job offers. Both are deemed to be quite gifted and classy actresses. What prompts the decision to get their asses out for the world to drool over? I'm no prude by any means, but I'm slightly disappointed that they would do this. Sometimes it's nice for classy girls to remain classy - leaving the naked antics to lesser talents who have little else going for them, such as the Britney Spears of this world. Those kind I am quite happy to check out :lol:

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:33 pm

TJ wrote:I don't really understand their motivation for doing this. They are both big news in Hollywood, with no shortage of publicity or job offers. Both are deemed to be quite gifted and classy actresses. What prompts the decision to get their asses out for the world to drool over? I'm no prude by any means, but I'm slightly disappointed that they would do this. Sometimes it's nice for classy girls to remain classy - leaving the naked antics to lesser talents who have little else going for them, such as the Britney Spears of this world.

I agree T.J. When I first saw the photo I thought to myself 'wonder what their fathers must think,' or how I'd think if it was my daughter in such a photo. Granted these girls are adults, and can make their own decisions, but I have to wonder what kind of relationship they have with their parents, and if there's someone around them to look after their best interests and help them make good career decisions. For some odd reason this seems to be a trend with rather decent young actresses. About a year ago Rachel Wiescz posed naked for a magazine cover, albeit with a snake placed strategically around her. What is the point of all this? Publicity? None of these actresses really need it, they're good actresses on Hollywood's A list.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:39 pm

I just read on the Internet Movie Database that Rachel McAdams was supposed to be in this shot, but could not go through with it. The Ford guy then took her place.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:41 pm

1) Sex sells.

2) It's an arousing but classy composition.

3) Keira Knightley and Scarlett Johansson are grown adults and can do whatever they like. That their parentage and motivation needs to be brought into question is revealing and sad.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:47 pm

TJ & Pete,

I fully agree! I find it disappointing when beautiful actresses do this when it’s not going to help them either professionally or personally. I think it cheapens their allure and class.

When those actresses did it for the anti-fur thing a while back I could see why they did it. Neither actress will gain from this.

Having said that I am off to get my copy. :twisted:

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:12 pm

Cryogenic wrote:3) Keira Knightley and Scarlett Johansson are grown adults and can do whatever they like.

I acknowledged that in my post.

Cryogenic wrote:That their parentage and motivation needs to be brought into question is revealing and sad.

What does it reveal to you and why do you find it sad?

Do have have a daughter Cryogenic?

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:19 pm

I agree with Pete, the more I think about it.

But consider, too, that the shelf-life for Hollywood starlets is pretty short (over at 38 or 40?)so why not milk it, in a classy way if possible?

We all benefit from seeing Keira and Scarlett stripping down together. :lol:

I know someone who insists that Scarlett had her lips done. I don't agree but maybe some of you know more on this?

I think she may be top-enhanced, too. I think that plastic surgery (particularly breast implants) is a bigger crime than exposing it, but then these days you'll not be asked in most cases.

Keira, for now, is quite flat, for the record. Good for her.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:24 pm

Pete Dube wrote:What does it reveal to you and why do you find it sad?

Do have have a daughter Cryogenic?

No.

Are you going to use that old cliche to justify your negative appraisal of other people?

Shallow. Baseless. Tacky.

We're all someone else's children. A lot of us are also someone else's siblings and go on to parent children of our own.

While we may always hope our parents love us and we love them in return, they shouldn't stop us - either physically or psychologically - from cutting our own paths in life and doing as we please with what we have. The world is not shaped by clinging to the attitudes and beliefs of authority figures alone; liberty, which gives rise to progress, which gives rise to fulfilment (or certainly the pursuit of it) can only be attained or gone in search of when we stop living by the petty restrictions imposed by others. I'm not invoking Nietzsche or anything of that calibre - but deferring to the "what must their parents think"? mentality is crude and terribly backwards.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:29 pm

Cryo, I assume your addressing Pete, et. al.

I'm in the middle on this issue but don't think it's entirely a bad thing to at least take into account what one's parents think.

Madonna surely embarrassed the Ciccone family many times over the years, I'd wager.

No one's going to stop it, but I think shame is not a bad thing in some cases, as we are today rather shameless in pop culture (think of the
vulgar, thuggish ethos of Hip Hop, for one.)

Rebellion for the sake of rebellion gets a little played out, too.

That said, these are hardly scandalous shots by most standards of 2006. They're sexy without being vulgar.

Whether it's a wise move by young women striving for meaty roles is another matter.
Again, our benefit. :lol:

P.S.
A younger Scarlett on David Letterman's show some years back:
http://www.geocities.com/~scarlettj/letterman.html

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:39 pm

No one should set out to deliberately upset other people - though it is, of course, a time-honoured human tradition.

But neither should one be shamed into not doing something simply because others, harbouring conservative values, might get "upset". I can think of few things more pathetic.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:25 pm

Spare me the detached armchair social science routine Cryo. And the conservative values boogyman. I merely wondered why well-regarded young actresses felt they had to do this photo spread. I didn't question their personal morality/values, if truth be told I don't particularly care what they are. As a father it's quite natural for me to wonder what their father's would think. That's not a conservative values vs. liberal values scenario, it's a human emotional reaction pure & simple. When/if you have children of your own you'll understand where I'm coming from on an emotional level, even if you differ from me at the intellectual level.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:37 pm

It's true that fatherhood makes you more conservative and I'm not sure
that's such a horrible thing.

I just never thought of either Keira or Scarlett as my kid. I guess I'm still raring to go after all. :lol:

Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:02 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Spare me the detached armchair social science routine Cryo. And the conservative values boogyman.

Spare us all the thinly-disguised, right-wing, defying-your-parents-is-morally-impure, conservative claptrap.

Pete Dube wrote:I merely wondered why well-regarded young actresses felt they had to do this photo spread. I didn't question their personal morality/values, if truth be told I don't particularly care what they are. As a father it's quite natural for me to wonder what their father's would think. That's not a conservative values vs. liberal values scenario, it's a human emotional reaction pure & simple. When/if you have children of your own you'll understand where I'm coming from on an emotional level, even if you differ from me at the intellectual level.

You did a great deal more than merely speculate as to what their fathers might be thinking. Allow me to refresh your memory:

Pete Dube wrote:When I first saw the photo I thought to myself 'wonder what their fathers must think,' or how I'd think if it was my daughter in such a photo. Granted these girls are adults, and can make their own decisions, but I have to wonder what kind of relationship they have with their parents, and if there's someone around them to look after their best interests and help them make good career decisions. [emphasis mine]

You were clearly regarding their actions in a pejorative sense and assuming it implied something negative about the relationship between themselves and their parents. It says more about your worldview than theirs.