Are Newspapers Doomed?

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Are Newspapers Doomed?

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I hope not but I sometimes feel like the last generation to read them as kids in their 20s and below just are not getting into habit as the internet (for what that's worth) takes over...

Joseph Berstein of the conservative Commentary magazine has penned an article on this subject: "Are Newspapers Doomed?":

(Seach under "Bernstein" and "newspapers")

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/Archive/digitalarchive.aspx

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Graceland Gardener

Post by Graceland Gardener »

Are Newspapers Doomed?

- not as long as there's fish.

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.

:lol:
Yeah, but whether right or left wing, I'm not that impressed with the idea of people just logging onto sites they agree with....Never mind sitting in front of a computer ...

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.

I haven't finished the article yet, but the author Bernstein notes early on that 4 out of 5 Americans used to read a newspaper daily. Granted, we have other sources of news (I doubt it) but today that figure is down to far less than half - and worse, if you check the demographics.

Are we better informed in today's era of "ego-casting" (on-demand, self-directed music & information) than we were 50 years ago?

I doubt it.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

MauriceinIreland

Post by MauriceinIreland »

Greg, there's a newspaper war here at the moment. Hence all the free CDs And DVDs (undermining their value in the process)

Especially UK newspapers!

Blue-Gypsy

Post by Blue-Gypsy »

Funny you should bring that up...

I just realized the other day that I used to get a newspaper everyday, sometimes the morning and afternoon edition. Could not live without it...

I havn't bought one in over two years.

Tony~

"It's the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, Gay, Straight, Disabled and not disabled, Americans who send a message to the world that we have never been just a collection of individuals or a collection of red states and blue states. We are and always will be the United States of America."
-Barack Obama-

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.

Now that's a war I wouldn't mind in some sense here in the US!

The article mentions those very battles across the pond - including a dumbing-down tendency of once-great papers...

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

I wouldn't be without my daily paper !

There's the crossword, for a start !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by likethebike »

The thing that's disturbing and has really put newspapers in jeopardy is not the internet but the fact that people simply do not enjoy reading anymore. I don't know if it's an educational thing or what but that seems to be the case. Newspapers have been forced in recent years to go more and more to McCoverage giving readers their news in smaller and smaller bite sized slices. In theory, you would think the television/newspaper connection would be ideal. You have the TV/Radio/internet to give you the breaking stuff and you have the newspapers and weeklies to provide further in-depth stuff.

Another perhaps even bigger problem is that people simply do not care about the news. They would rather spend their time on other "entertainment options". There are plenty of niche areas newspapers can cover like local news that miss the internet and TV but people just don't care.

Blue-Gypsy

Post by Blue-Gypsy »

I get all my news off the internet and I am quite sure that is what is causing the demise of the newspaper.

LTB, I might say since the advent of the internet people are reading more than they ever have.

Tony~

"It's the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, Gay, Straight, Disabled and not disabled, Americans who send a message to the world that we have never been just a collection of individuals or a collection of red states and blue states. We are and always will be the United States of America."
-Barack Obama-

Blue-Gypsy

Post by Blue-Gypsy »

Last edited by Blue-Gypsy on Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony~

-Barack Obama-

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Tony -

Well, I read your post twice !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by likethebike »

It's interesting if they are because it is very difficult for me to read in this format. Hard on my eyes.

Graceland Gardener

Graceland Gardener wrote:Are Newspapers Doomed?

get it?!

To wrap fish in!

:D lol lollo lol

Graceland Gardener

Graceland Gardener wrote:

get it?!

To wrap fish in!

yeh we get it. enough already dude

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

That is one reason they are so bulky. Ad space is very cheap and thats what you mostly get.

Silver
R.I.P. February 10, 2006
Registered for: 19 years

Post by Silver »

get it?!

To wrap fish in!

yeh we get it. enough already dude
GG & JLGB, you are hilarious!! So, they are so bulky because we wrap fish in the ad-laden newspapers??
sue

You'll never, never know the one who loves you so. . .

R.I.P. 2-10-2006
In Memory Of A True Friend To All

The FECC Team

Blue-Gypsy

Post by Blue-Gypsy »

GG sleeps with the fishes.

Not really sure why I just always wanted to say that...lol

Tony~

-Barack Obama-

Topic author
Gregory Nolan Jr.

likethebike wrote:The thing that's disturbing and has really put newspapers in jeopardy is not the internet but the fact that people simply do not enjoy reading anymore. I don't know if it's an educational thing or what but that seems to be the case. Newspapers have been forced in recent years to go more and more to McCoverage giving readers their news in smaller and smaller bite sized slices. In theory, you would think the television/newspaper connection would be ideal. You have the TV/Radio/internet to give you the breaking stuff and you have the newspapers and weeklies to provide further in-depth stuff.

Another perhaps even bigger problem is that people simply do not care about the news. They would rather spend their time on other "entertainment options". There are plenty of niche areas newspapers can cover like local news that miss the internet and TV but people just don't care.
LTB, I think you will like the article a lot, just use the search I mentioned. It's very striking because I have pondered the same develpments. Around Christmas, I spent a lot of time at the homes of old friends and family and not see any newspapers at all, not even in the floor or closet. I knew something had changed in life (beyond people getting married and having kids they didn't used to have) but now I saw adults without newspapers.

And In turn, I didn't see them on the internet all that much beyond e-mail and doubt they watch more than some news while flipping channels.

Bernstein discusses these very things: that kids today, some are more "visual" and less geared for reading today and that news is just less important to young people. (As if they have that luxury..) And the role of 'ego-casting'so called is also troublesome. A good paper (and you can still find them) put you into the world- whether you wanted it or not.

I agree about the 'net being hard on the eyes.

I'm not sure "young" people (from observations of those in their 20s & 30s ) are as informed as they used to be. Our elections time and again show how ill-informed we are in the USA.

Using "MSN.com" for "news" or "Jon Stewart" on TV or those freebie subway newspapers is not cutting it, no matter the "liberal" bias of the big papers. Bernstein concedes ideology is part of the problem but still feels compelled to read the NY Times everyday -the paper version. He freely admits he must be a dinosaur.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

MauriceinIreland

Post by MauriceinIreland »

We have high stacks of broadsheet and tabloid newspapers in our newsagent shops and supermarkets, even in small villages.
It not unusual to see people pick up half a dozen different titles on a Sunday morning.

A new "Irish" edition of the "Daily Mail" hit the streets here in Ireland on Monday FREE! It's parent, the British "Daily Mail".

The Irish DM was 30 cents today.

A NEW newspaper to be utilised!

So I called them on telephone. The newsdesk guy answered and after I filled him in, he said the paper would be interested in the "Elvis Comes Home" to Tupelo 1956 Documentary story.

"I'll get a reporter to call you tomorrow morning", he said.

How many times have I heard that before! But some do call back :)

Yes, all this bright light reading can be tiring.

Graceland Gardener

Re: .

Blue-Gypsy wrote:GG sleeps with the fishes.

Not really sure why I just always wanted to say that...lol

Of course. I'm AQUAMAN!

and sleep where with the fishes?

20,000 Leeeeeagggges under the sea