Off Topic Messages

Andy Griffith with color, without Barney

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:01 pm

Look for The Andy Griffith Show-The Complete 6th Season to street on May 9th in a 5-disc set featuring all 30 episodes (uncut). That's the good news. The bad news is that many, many folks see this as the beginning of the end of the show as Don Knotts had left to do movies and the series was now shot in color.

Tom

Re: Andy Griffith with color, without Barney

Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:42 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:...The bad news is that many, many folks see this as the beginning of the end of the show...

Including our pal Scatter, who defined this season as the series' "jump the shark" season. :D

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:31 pm

...and lay on the shelves collecting dust.

They should just compile the BEST 30 episodes
of the color seasons
for one DVD set.

and offer just that.

Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:31 am

There are some color episodes I enjoy, but watching Jack Burns replace Don Knotts is like serving prune juice at a superbowl party instead of beer!

Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:45 am

Big Boss Man wrote:There are some color episodes I enjoy, but watching Jack Burns replace Don Knotts is like serving prune juice at a superbowl party instead of beer!

Two words: Howard Sprague!!! YUK!!! Also, that last part is really going to piss those geezers Colin and Sam off. :wink:

Tom

Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:47 am

Big Boss Man wrote:There are some color episodes I enjoy, but watching Jack Burns replace Don Knotts is like serving prune juice at a superbowl party instead of beer!

Andy Griffith knew this as well. His demeanor changed drastically when Don Knotts left the show. You can tell it during the very first episode that was filmed without DK.

Re: Andy Griffith with color, without Barney

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:16 am

KHoots wrote:
Tom in North Carolina wrote:...The bad news is that many, many folks see this as the beginning of the end of the show...

Including our pal Scatter, who defined this season as the series' "jump the shark" season. :D

KHoots..........you know me so well :wink:

Season 5 is as far as I go.........and as far as the series should have gone.

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:32 am

I agree that the series went downhill after Knotts left. But I hope they continue the series and complete it. There are still fine moments throughout and there always is Floyd Lawson....at least until he died.

So, if many of you feel the series should have ended, what do you think about Mayberry R.F.D.? :o

jeff R

Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:50 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:what do you think about Mayberry R.F.D.?

:smt021

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:18 pm

Rob wrote:
jeffreyjames wrote:what do you think about Mayberry R.F.D.?

:smt021

Ditto!!

Tom

P.S. Jeffrey,
The plans (as of now) are to release the entire series on DVD. However, if sales drop off dramatically (as I suspect they will), Paramount could very easily change their mind.

Tom

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:48 am

The thing is when Don left the series he did make some classic comedies.
"The ghost and Mr. Chicken" , "the Shakiest gun in the west", "how to frame a figg", and " the reluctant astronaut" are still, I believe his best movie work. When he started the later corny disney films he wasn't as good.

In my book about the Griffith show, it states that Andy was very uncomfortable with Jack Burns as the deputy. He could feel that it wasn't working. So the decision was made to have no deputy at all.

Don knotts came back to do 3 more episodes but those episodes, though not classics, were still better than the usual Knott-less ones.

Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:28 am

Sweet Lord In Heaven !

What were they thinking?

Replacing Don Knotts with JACK BURNS (!)

#^*(&(^$#%! !!!

Jack Burns is just awful in ANYTHING that
I have seen him perform.

Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:44 am

There's no way that Warren could have taught me anything about the Emancipation Proclamation the way that Barney did.

Not to mention that Barney could sing A Cappella even if he couldn't remeber all of the words to it.