Off Topic Messages

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:34 pm

And impersonal jargon is much more effective to present the facts without the drama that could be interpreted as subjective and politically motivated etc especially when both sides of the issue have tampered with materials pictures data or facts as in time etc etc ..Imo.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:34 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:Some atheists don't even like condoms. And some, not naming any names, have never used one.......................Yet :lol:

Maurice -
You're right. Colin doesn't like ketchup or mustard.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:45 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
MauriceinIreland wrote:Some atheists don't even like condoms. And some, not naming any names, have never used one.......................Yet :lol:

Maurice -
You're right. Colin doesn't like ketchup or mustard.

Not English mustard, anyway.

French, American or even German, but the English variety is just too damn hot !

Can we drag this thread back to the serious stuff.................

Thank you.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:18 am

JLGB wrote:And impersonal jargon is much more effective to present the facts without the drama that could be interpreted as subjective and politically motivated etc especially when both sides of the issue have tampered with materials pictures data or facts as in time etc etc ..Imo.

But jargon such as 'external provocation' has the effect of rendering abortion into an abstract concept.

Now JLGB, if I was to walk up to you and say "Hey hoss, I've seen better heads on lettuce" you would have been externally provoked by me (and would likely sock my jaw :lol: ). But that is quite different from what takes place during an abortion.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:33 am

Induced, provoked by drugs or performed by medical or non medical personnel in the case of illegal abortions. Thats a little better.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:09 am

heard about this guy Entwistle, charged with murdering his wife and 8 month old baby?

What a sick world we're in today.
Who the f*** could fire a bullet into an infant?

But hey, even though that guy commited such an unthinkable crime,
if he's liberal and voted for Kerry and thinks gay is okay...
he's still a great guy,
on the right track in society.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:26 pm

And who has said that?

I take issue with some of what's happened in Massachussetts in recent years as well as the Hopkinton murder (apparently a failed murder-suicide: he got cold feet when it came time to kill himself), but I doubt gays or Senator Kerry were involved in the crime.

It is a horrible crime. I really think we can't be hard enough on people who murder people, but especially kids. Their kids.

I want this guy eating & drinking bread and water in a cell , doing hard labor for the rest of his life. In the Bay State, neither this nor capital punishment will be offered, unfortunately.

Hard time is worse than the bogus lethal injection and sends a harder message - and somehow respects life, something we are supposed to value unlike the killer.

Likewise with the 12th (?) hijacker currently on trial. Don't make that guy a martyr for his moronic cause.

P.S. Mean enough for you, LTB? :lol:

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:51 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:And who has said that?

You don't get it.

Contrast and compare.

I've never harmed anyone physically but yet because I have used the N word, and I'm not liberal, and I didn't vote for Kerry, and no, I don't approve of gay lifestyle.....
I'm....(according to DJC).....a bad guy

But hey, a liberal (meeting Doc's approval) could suddenly go kill someone - even a baby - and still be OKAY :!:

Is that it?

What if Scott Peterson (who beheaded his pregnant wife) spoke up today and said Bush is a crook and the Iraq War is a fraud, would he suddenly score points improving his image as a human being??!?!??

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:59 pm

Now wait a doggone minute GG. I know there's no love lost between you and DJC, but as far as I know Doc hasn't expressed an opinion on this murder, so it's off base to make claims as to what he would say. Personally, I just don't see the Doc or LTB or any of our other liberal-minded mb members making the type of statements you've said DJC would make. A person can be liberal and recognize that this was a terrible crime for which justice should be meted out to the full extant of the law.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:21 pm

I reference DJC because he's our resident leftwting nut; king turd in the liberal toilet bowl.

Anyone MEETING his requirements as a "good person" in the "big picture" of Politically-Correct society.

GG doesn't. Ah f*** waaahhh

But what if Scott Peterson does - or any other manic killer.

Wouldnt being leftwing (and yet a murderer) still be a person on the right track in the big picture

:roll:

Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:42 pm

This is what I'm talking about bastardizing debate. Espouse a liberal ideal and somehow you love murderers.

Greg- I don't really follow murder cases all that often. I only had the vaguest awareness of the Scott Peterson thing while it was going on for instance. I am saddened that a person is taken from the Earth before his or her time and I hope that the guilty gets prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law but too often stuff like this is too often played up as a freak show and it makes it uncomfortable for me to follow as heroes and villains play. There's just something unseemly about it. Plus, as undeniably important as it is getting caught up in it distracts from issues that affect us more.

I would say though that if there are deficiencies in sentencing law in regard to murder a good place to blame, more than any bleeding heart "liberals", is the nation's failed drug policies. One of the main reasons that murderers and pedophiles get turned over on the streets so quickly is the fact that there is no room for them in prisons which keep being filled with non-violent drug offenders. The US imprisons a greater percentage of its population than any other Western/industrialized nation. Were the prisons not so filled beyond capacity there might be room to let violent, predatory offenders in their cells a time commensurate with the offense.

The nation's war on drugs is a little over 30 years old now and what do we have for it? Street crime and violence in the inner cities that probably outstrips the level of Al Capone's Chicago. A record number of people in prison. And not a significant dent in drug usage and in crack one of the worst drug epidemics in history. A reasonable person would rethink this concept.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:45 pm

LTB, you misconstrued, mis-interpreted, but I'll address your comment anyway.

likethebike wrote:This is what I'm talking about bastardizing debate. Espouse a liberal ideal and somehow you love murderers.

Well, uh, Liberals do example: TOOKIE WILLIAMS and Mike Farrell's crusades.

Liberals do love, faun over, cry for murderers and get them off whenever possible.

------

Point I was trying to make:

If a henious murderer (pick any you wish) were to speak up and say:

"Bush is a liar, war is fraud! Vote Hillary!"

- there are a lot of leftwing people seriously who would go:
hmm, that murderer ain't so bad after all.

:!: See?

--------------------------

WHAT'S WORSE:

a law-abiding citizen who disapproves of gays

or

a death row psycho maniac who thinks gay is okay
and has never used a racial slur either!

? WHICH

who's the better, and more intelligent

:lol:

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:05 pm

I would say that intelligence is not an indicator of moral virtue.

I would also say that there are a lot of despicable people who have ideas I agree with. It doesn't mean I approve of them or what they did. I thought the Unabomber made some good points about the dehumanizing quality of technology. However, that doesn't mean I don't think he was nut and a destructive force to society.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:11 pm

likethebike wrote:I would say that intelligence is not an indicator of moral virtue.

Okay. Your statement. That's cool.

But your friend DJC for example is constantly using "intelligent" as a measuring stick when it comes to political debates on this MB.

pro-gay is...intelligent.
pro-John Lennon is...intelligent.
pro-Michael Moore is...intelligent.

anti-Michael Moore is....ignorant.
anti-Lennon is....ignorant
anti-gay is...ignorant.

See? What a cliche. a redudnant hack.

--- Let's compare Archie Bunker and Michael Myers on the Politically Correct Meter.

Archie : oh no, bigot, racist, shame on him, bad person.

Myers: perhaps okay with gay, doesn't care either way, and never says a racial slur (doesn't talk anyway!)

So despite the body count, he's a better PC person than Archie!!! lol

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:11 am

GG, I respect your right to make your points, but you are arguing with a phantom who is not even on this thread.

LTB, I largely refrain from the murder of the week but some stories hit home, too, as they address punishment, societal outrage, etc.

Some news outlets on cable seem to be almost waiting for the "next big story" all the time. Very unseemly, especially when stories like how President Bush just slipped his proposal to privatize Social Security into his new budget.

You make an interesting point on our prisons.