Off Topic Messages

Return of the Pink Panther

Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:40 pm

Just want to let Pink Panther film fans know that the dvd of this film was released a couple of weeks ago. This film wasn't part of the PP film box set that's on the market.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:46 pm

Not that it is anyway involved, but I just saw a dismall review(ign.com in the dvd section) of the "Pink Panther Collection" based on the cartoon.

I never really liked that one.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:14 pm

there's a brand new Pink Panther coming to theatres with Steve Martin as Closeau.

What an utter waste of millions of dollars and people's time and effort.


Martin is either so bored, or arrogant that he agrees to remake a role he is not suited for and he can never ever surpass Sellers.


Remakes be damned.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:17 pm

I agree GG. They should've left this alone. There's no way anybody can even come close to Peter Sellers in that role. Absolute comic genius!

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:53 pm

Its impossible to replace Peter Sellers. Furthermore, Steve Martin isnt funny.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:57 pm

3577 wrote:Furthermore, Steve Martin isnt funny.


Exactly, I mean his career fizzled right after he left Saturday Night Live. Now here he is 30 years trying to make some kind of comeback.
Where has he been all this time anyway?

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:18 pm

Steve Martin has been around making box office hits, and some good movies too. Not all his movies are good, but some are memorable; "Roxanne" comes to mind a box office hit, also "Planes Trains & Automobiles" with the late great John Candy, "Cheaper By The Dozen 1 & 2" not great, but combined for almost $200 Million at the box office, "L.A. Story"; "Father Of The Bride 1 & 2", etc.....Steve Martin might not be everyones cup of tea, but he has a proven track record in the past 30 years, that many actors envy.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:29 pm

The problem is the fact that he seems to be a little aged for the role?

Am I wrong here?

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:01 am

Without Peter Sellers, the Pink Panther series would never have worked, anyone remember the 68 Arkin turkey ?
Sellers was one of the all time great actors in my opinion.

As for Martin, after a good run of films in the 80`s, he fizzled out for me.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:34 am

genesim wrote:The problem is the fact that he seems to be a little aged for the role? Am I wrong here?


Not at all. They held the release of this stink-bomb for almost a year and will probably regret ever letting it escape. Trust me, it sux!!!

Tom

Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:50 am

Patrick68 wrote:Steve Martin might not be everyones cup of tea, but he has a proven track record in the past 30 years, that many actors envy.


Hey, I dig Steve in the 70s-80s.

I watched the AFI Salute to his career and was mad they didn't show any footage whatsoever of his '78 "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" performance.


If remaking Pink Panther was an absolute necessity,
the secondary co-star KEVIN KLINE should've played Closeau!

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:39 am

Don't get me wrong, I think Steve Martin is an incredibly funny actor who has had some great films. My problem with the whole thing is that you take a role like Clouseau, which will always be Peter's crown jewel, and you think another actor can fill those shoes, and it just doesn't happen. That abomination Son of the Pink Panther (which Blake regrets making to this day) should have proven that point to everyone at the studio. The Pink Panther died with Peter, let's let it rest in peace.

Tom

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:41 am

Well the film isn't realeased quite yet....kind of like Crocodile Dundee 3...some things are better left alone!

Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:03 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think Steve Martin is an incredibly funny actor who has had some great films. My problem with the whole thing is that you take a role like Clouseau, which will always be Peter's crown jewel, and you think another actor can fill those shoes, and it just doesn't happen. That abomination Son of the Pink Panther (which Blake regrets making to this day) should have proven that point to everyone at the studio. The Pink Panther died with Peter, let's let it rest in peace.

Tom


AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN, brother!!!!!!!!

.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:32 pm

If it was not caught the tounge was firmly in cheek during my previous post. Steve Martin is on of the great American comic Genius' of all time. To say he isn't funny as a blanket statement rather than " I don't think he is funny" is simply asinine.

Return Of The Pink Panther

Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:54 pm

Ezzz wrote:Without Peter Sellers, the Pink Panther series would never have worked, anyone remember the 68 Arkin turkey ?
Sellers was one of the all time great actors in my opinion.

As for Martin, after a good run of films in the 80`s, he fizzled out for me.

I have that on VHS watch it once that was 3 years ago

Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:49 am

Just saw a commercial for Saturday Night Live tonight and Steve Martin is the host this week. I've always liked him on SNL and some of his movies like "The Jerk," but I'll have to pass judgement on The Pink Panther movie until I see it. I think it's trying on big shoes to try that role, sort of like Elvis biographies. Kurt Russel was the best one I've seen so far. There was an episode on the newer Twilight Zone that featured an Elvis story that was pretty good. It was about an Elvis impersonator who went back in time and ended up killing Elvis in the 50's(can't recall if it was an accident or intentional)and ended up taking Elvis' place for the rest of his life. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that Steve Martin will host SNL this week.

Mike in WV

The Return Of The Pink Panther

Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:23 am

That was Called The Once And Future King I think

Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:29 pm

I've been trying to catch that Twilight Zone episode for years!!!!! Never seen it, but sounds interesting.