Off Topic Messages

When Did Your Favorite TV Show Jump The Shark?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:49 am

For those unfamiliar with the term "Jump the shark", the reference is to the episode of "Happy Days" when Fonzie jumped the shark tank on water skis.

That episode marked the end of the quality and realistic scripts and began the show's devolution into unwatchability.

So........at which point did your favorite TV shows "Jump the shark" and begin their ultimate decline??

Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:56 am

I thought it was when Fonzie jumped the 14 trash cans! :lol:

Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:22 am

When Pam woke up and Bobby Ewing was in her shower.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:27 am

Oh yeah.........that was one contrived POS storyline, Rob :lol:

As I recall, it left all sorts of other storylines just hanging........

Great example.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:44 am

buffy had two seasons that were a bit iffy...season 4 and season 7.

with season 4, it was trying to survive the leaving of angel to his own show (which turned out to be waaaaay better, imo)...and until spike took over the lead male role, it was iffy. it also was the season where the characters nearly all split apart from being high school best friends and the whole riley thing was a bust. and the adam/initiative storyline was weak because nobody gave a damn about it or riley. also, buffy wasn't particularly interesting after season 3. also, making willow "hip" was annoying.

in season 7, it was the last season and again nobody was really friends, and buffy was reduced to cardboard. plus, in came the potentials--notably kennedy. anya and spike were the only things that season had going for it.

--------------------

bewitched jumped the shark when dick sargeant replaced dick york. sargeant had absolutely zero charisma with elizabeth montgomery.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:10 pm

M*A*S*H was a great show........until Larry Linville left.

Then it became a sanctimonious repository for Alan Alda's massive ego.

Re: When Did Your Favorite TV Show Jump The Shark?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:30 pm

Scatter wrote:For those unfamiliar with the term "Jump the shark", the reference is to the episode of "Happy Days" when Fonzie jumped the shark tank on water skis.

It was good you explained because I hadnĀ“t understood anything. :lol: :lol:

Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:50 pm

Scatter wrote:M*A*S*H was a great show........until Larry Linville left.

Then it became a sanctimonious repository for Alan Alda's massive ego.

Scatter -
M*A*S*H jumped the shark for me when they started calling Hot Lips Margaret, and when they stopped with the still/cocktails. From that point on it became basically a platform for Alda's strident liberalism (and back in those days I was on the liberal side of the fence!) . I still liked the show right up to the end, but it just wasn't the same.

The one show that I don't recall ever having jumped the shark: Barney Miller.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:37 pm

Roseanne, when she won the lottery.

Threes Company..... when Susanne left is another one... then the Ropers left.... then on to Twos a Crowd.

When David Lee Roth left Van Halen! lol :lol:

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:44 am

Andy Griffith when Don Knotts left after season 5.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:32 am

Three's Company to me actually improved after the stinker season 4 with Suzanne Sommers. She was really grinding on my nerves and she was obviously on her way out. A true parody of herself. The dumb blonde was getting old. Janet's character along with Furly and Larry stepped up and made the show much more enjoyable. Of course you had to get over the Jenny Lee part which was brief.

Two's A Crowd wasn't as good, but it was an ok show. It may have survived in another time.

XXXXXXXXXXX

All In The Family changed for me when the Stivics moved out and next door. It changed the dynamics and the show was never the same. The Edith "rape" was way out there. I preferred the Gloria "rape" episode and feel that ground was covered much better and much more believable. Not that the Edith one was trash..but it never moved me the same.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:35 am

I LOVE LUCY when they packed and went off to California.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:32 am

The Brady Bunch when Mike and Carol got married.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:39 pm

I Dream Of Jeannie....when she and Tony got married.

Get Smart...likewise, 99 & Max get hitched.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:25 pm

This won't mean anything to you Americans.

In Waiting For God, set in an old folks' home, a guy has amorous feelings toward a female 'inmate', but she doesn't want to know.

This situation sparked off the gags.

The whole thing lost its way when she relented, and they became a 'pair'.

Similarly, Upstairs Downstairs beautifully evoked how living in a posh house in the late 19th century must have been like.

It went downhill when they decided to advance the time frame and we got people sailing on the Titanic and 20th century things like that.

All right, just for you Americans:

What was the point of The Fugitive after they caught that one-armed guy ?

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:30 pm

Colin -
Didn't the show end with the capture of the one-armed man?

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:33 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Colin -
Didn't the show end with the capture of the one-armed man?

Well, yeah, just my attempt at a joke.

Please ignore.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:57 pm

Maybe the one-armed man lost his arm in a failed attempt at jumping the shark!

Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:29 pm

great thread - hilarious comments

I agree MASH was better with Maj. Frank Burns there!

re: Alda's ego comments ---- no sh*t! The DJC of the Korean Theater

JLGB wrote:I LOVE LUCY when they packed and went off to California.

actually the Hollywood episodes are great - the peak! of the series -

that show jumped/slumped when they came back to NY and realized how boring the show was then, and so they set off for a Europe/England "tour" of episodes.

Also Lucy jumped the shark again, when they moved to a farmhouse in Connecticut - and she changed her hairstyle. She no longer looked funny

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:08 pm

Maybe i just got tired of the I wanna be a movie star stuff! :lol: But some funny moments with John Wayne and Richard Widmark and getting really sun burned at the pool! :lol:

Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:24 am

JLGB wrote:I LOVE LUCY when they packed and went off to California.

Ditto for Laverne & Shirley!

Tom

Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:33 am

Elvis - The Series when it was cancelled.

jeff R

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:58 am

Bewitched, when Dick York left and returned as the stiff, uncharismatic Dick Sargeant.

Leave It To Beaver, when Jerry Mathers reached puberty and became plain creepy.

Dallas, when Jim Davis died, and the show lost its patriarchal focus.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:00 am

All in the Family when the Stivics moved out, to next door.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:08 am

TCB TED wrote:
Leave It To Beaver, when Jerry Mathers reached puberty and became plain creepy.

I always thought that too!!! :lol: