Off Topic Messages

That Whale....

Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:17 pm

The 'lost' whale which they were trying to rescue from London by taking it down the Thames to release it at Shivering Sands [near Margate] never made it.

It died off Gravesend and was taken ashore there.

History repeats itself !

It's Pocahontas all over again !

While the whole country waited with bated breath to see if the rescue attempt would succeed, the petty officials of our great capital city were not idle.

The members of the charity carrying out the rescue had £300-worth of parking tickets slapped on their vehicles !

The cars were all clearly marked 'Marine Ambulance' or 'Marine Medics', but to no avail.

The small charity carrying out the rescue [British Divers Marine Rescue Group] already face a £5,000 bill for the attempt.

Isn't it great living in Britain today ?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:55 am

Mmmm, whale is good food...!

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:05 am

R.I.P. whale

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:03 am

Caro....it was lost cause from the beginning...we have whales and dolphins doing this all the time..it appears that if they are ill their brain takes over and wants to beach themselves...sometimes I think it would be kinder to let them.. they are obviously ill..why prolong the agony?

Rusty*
Last edited by Rusty Martin* on Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:04 am

MB280E wrote:Mmmm, whale is good food...!

Sincerely MB280E

Japanese are you?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:06 am

Why is that sick? We do eat whale in Norway. In China they eat cats and dogs. In other parts of the world they even eat worms, and in France they eat sloughs (spelling?). What do you prefer...?

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:07 am

Rusty Martin* wrote:
MB280E wrote:Mmmm, whale is good food...!

Sincerely MB280E

Japanese are you?

Are you kiddin´ me...? I´m very Nordic, I can assure you! And you?

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:00 am

Colin wrote: The small charity carrying out the rescue [British Divers Marine Rescue Group] already face a £5,000 bill for the attempt

Gosh, Colin, they're not going to actually make them pay, are they? They were trying to do a rescue!! Do they have a pro bono legal organization to help them?
sue

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:24 am

enjoy the ambergris and lamp oil. :lol:

thar she blow.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:57 am

silver wrote:
Colin wrote: The small charity carrying out the rescue [British Divers Marine Rescue Group] already face a £5,000 bill for the attempt

Gosh, Colin, they're not going to actually make them pay, are they? They were trying to do a rescue!!
Do they have a pro bono legal organization to help them?
sue

Well, they will be paying the £5,000.

The charity is there to cover this sort of event.

But I assume they will appeal against the £300-worth of parking tickets !

Public opinion will surely lead to this silly situation being resolved in the charity's favour !

But how hard-hearted to have issued the tickets in the first place !

Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:11 pm

MB280E wrote:We do eat whale in Norway. In China they eat cats and dogs. In other parts of the world they even eat worms, and in France they eat sloughs (spelling?). Sincerely MB280E

Tastes like chicken.

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:12 pm

I'm basically a meat & potatoes kind of guy.

I've never eaten anything resembling a whale...at least not on porpoise. :lol:

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:21 pm

ColinB wrote:
silver wrote:

Gosh, Colin, they're not going to actually make them pay, are they? They were trying to do a rescue!!
Do they have a pro bono legal organization to help them?
sue

Well, they will be paying the £5,000.

The charity is there to cover this sort of event.

But I assume they will appeal against the £300-worth of parking tickets !

Public opinion will surely lead to this silly situation being resolved in the charity's favour !

But how hard-hearted to have issued the tickets in the first place !

I'd guess this was more to do with the man on the ground (guy/guys issuing the tickets) rather than a policy from above. I'm sure you are right that it will be resolved in the charity's favour. Traffic wardens are for the most part scumbags. I saw a documentary once and several were very lacking in grey matter - one in particular appeared to have an IQ of 80 at best. He also totally missed the point about his role. He considered a 'good shift' to be one where he issued as many tickets as possible, when of course a 'good shift' should be one where he didn't have to because everyone was parking sensibly. What a tool!

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:26 pm

TJ -

Some of them are paid a bonus based on how many tickets they issue !

You can see why they think issuing a lot makes it a 'good' day !

Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:04 pm

Whales were a big part of Elvis' career :!:

Say what :?:

Whale oil was the lubricant used on recording tape throughout the 50's and 60's :)