Off Topic Messages

The West Wing has been cancelled

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:56 am

I just heard from an insider that NBC has officially pulled the plug on one of the best dramas ever produced. For those who are curious, the decision had nothing to do with the death of regular cast member John Spencer, in fact the writing was on the wall long before that. What a great run.

Tom

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:19 am

Hi Tom, I been wondering where you have been!

I quit watching it after Rob Lowe left the show, not that I watched that often anyways.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:27 am

JEFF d wrote:Hi Tom, I been wondering where you have been!

Hiya Jeff,
I am actually on location working on a film, so my presence on the board will be hit and miss for the next 8-10 weeks. Right now, most of the cast and crew are watching my Panther's get eaten alive by the Seahawks. My wallet is going to be much, much lighter by tomorrow morning. You kids have fun.

Tom

P.S. I agree that The West Wing took a significant hit with the departure of Rob, but it was Aaron's leaving that truly killed it, in my opinion.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:35 am

I hope your having fun working on the film! Let us know what it is, and when it will be out..... sry about your wallet today though! :)

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:51 am

Thank God..........now we only have the Geena Davis travesty, and the word is the ratings for that are sliding badly.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:00 am

It's easily my fave U.S. show, so I think it's a pity that it's ending. That said, we are a season behind here so still plenty to come - even if not the quality of past episodes.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:39 pm

In a way it doesn't come anymore as a surprise to me that it ends now, because I just became addicted to TWW a few months ago and that's exactly the kind of luck I have. Catching up I felt the slip hard after Aaron Sorkin and Rob Lowe left. Although there are many episodes in the latter seasons that didn't hold my attention all that much, there were always those gems that would give me goose bumps. I'll always have the DVDs.

I raise my glass to Aaron Sorkin for writing what I'm convinced is the best television ever. I praise the work of the entire cast. You've all left me speechless at one time or another. I am grateful for the hard work of all the staff in their different areas, making it possible for the technical aspects to meet the standards of the dialog.

FINALE
A drop-in by Sam Seaborn would be my #1 choice. I know it's hopeless, but I still miss him every episode and having him back, even just for the last episode, would make seeing TWW go a much easier pill to swallow.
Wrap up the current election storyline as soon as possible and then spend the last few episodes with the original cast who helped make this show the landmark series it undoubtedly is.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:29 am

Melanie wrote:FINALE
A drop-in by Sam Seaborn would be my #1 choice. I know it's hopeless, but I still miss him every episode and having him back, even just for the last episode, would make seeing TWW go a much easier pill to swallow.
Wrap up the current election storyline as soon as possible and then spend the last few episodes with the original cast who helped make this show the landmark series it undoubtedly is.

Mel,
I could not agree more and would love to see Rob back on that set one last time. Unfortunately, the chances are extremely remote that it will happen. There are some internal matters between Rob and one of the producers that may thwart a Sam Seaborn cameo. Rob has expressed publicly and privately a willingness to reprise his role on the show, but his offer has fallen on deaf ears, so far.
On a side note, the likelihood of a Sorkin written finale' is also quickly fading, as Aaron is knee-deep in developing a new pilot.
Just so you know, the cancellation was not overly surprising to the cast. I spoke with Martin last October and he thought then that this would be the last season of the show. In fact, many of the cast members started looking at other scripts and increased their visibility and willingness to commit to film work. The sad thing is that Martin said that it was John Spencer who kept saying that they would be picked up for an eighth season.

Tom

Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:25 pm

Tom,

I have been reading about the RL / AS situation, trying to catch up.
RL hasn't mentioned anything about being in contact/negotiation with the show. Maybe he could appear in the retrospect. But just look at the pathetic treatment the character and actor received on the DVD extras. I think therapy was required. I would think they'd have a better chance of getting RL to return for Leo/JS farewell episodes over the series finale. But I just have no faith that they can do the character justice. And since he's been away for so long with nary a word of what the hell he's been up to or where he's been for the past four years one random appearance in the final episode with a few throw away lines for where he's been, what he's been doing would, well, suck big time. I'd rather leave it a blank after all this time than have it done quickly and randomly just to show RL/Sam one more time for a few minutes.

The bitter, frustrated line in "Manchester" hits the mark on so many levels: "Some of us have had more time than others!". First, of course, is Sam not being brought "in the room" sooner in the whole MS plotline, but on deeper levels, Sam (and RL) had less and less screen time, less involvement in plotlines, less of Sorkin's time. And even if it was about $$, it was no way to let such an idealistic character disappear. I believe RL also asked for one episode each season that focuses on Sam. I still can't get used to Will Bailey and his entry. And whatever happened to Toby's twins. So many unresolved and unfinished plotlines. I guess the show was never meant to come to a full circle, just to get abandoned.