Off Topic Messages

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:15 pm

Sinatra was also known as a one take merchant.

Did Crosby ever play Vegas ? I can`t imagine Crosby in that setting for some reason.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:24 pm

I found this quote fromt he same site:

Throughout his life, Bing refused lucrative invitations to entertain at Las Vegas because of the crime links.

I say again...laziness.

Bing could have done Vegas fine. He was a born entertainer. The reason you can't imagine it..is because Sinatra did it instead. Bing became a parody of himself, because he didn't care. He never had a comeback, because he himself didn't think he needed one. Bing was wealthy all the way up to the end.

I guess in the end, it is better then wasting away on a toilet, but part of me thinks that Bing's legacy deserved a little more chances.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:43 pm

Hey maybe Crosby was just happy enough with what he had accomplished, what did he have to prove ?

Sinatra on the other hand felt even in the 80`s, that he had to compete with the current rock acts by playing arena`s with Dean Martin, before Martin saw the foley in a bar singer trying to work in a big arena, and walked out on the tour.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:53 pm

OH like E....there wasn't much more for Bing to really accomplish.

But guess what, I am fanboy, and I think he could have done so much more. The "why's" I can understand, but the prospective could have been's can be debated forever.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:09 pm

cryogenic wrote

There have been many accolades uttered about Elvis' talent and performances through the years, all of which I agree with wholeheartedly. I shall miss him dearly as a friend. He was a warm, considerate and generous man." -- Frank Sinatra, 1977

what a crock of sh*te elvis had just died of course he was going to say something nice we all do when some one passes even if we like them or not.as a earlyer post said 2 meeting and a few phone calls is classed as a friend i dont think so if thats the case then no wonder he thought the memphis mafia were his friends when we all know they were a bunch of ars*holes.

Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:52 am

Tits McGhee wrote:Geneism, you're such a boring bastard.

:D :D :D
... and Tits, you truely are a legend! I salute you!

Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:08 am

Birds of a feather....in this case. jackasses. :lol:

Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:24 am

That's very interesting, the facts on Bing.. very cool! I'm a big fan of a lot of older music, and it's a shame so much is lost today. But it's as hard to compare today's artist's accomplishments as it is to compare Elvis' to Bing's because of the number of performers in the public eye when they were big.

Every year, it seems like there are more and more people that we hear mentioned, so it's harder for an artist to break out for as long. The upside to that (for more modern artists) is that with more people comes more sales - so it's an interesting dilemma. I doubt we'll ever fully know how to compare them, and perhaps this is best for the sake of history. We should pay more attention to the musics of the past, because in my opinion that's where music will eventually go back to. Not in exactly the same way, of course, but music can only go one way before it has to grow.. and like most things, something can be "so old it seems new and fresh" again.

I might be wrong, but hey, you never know. :)

Back on the original topic, while it's not the most historically correct piece according to several sources, it's a very entertaining movie (not as crazy about the Elvis parts, though..). And my good friends, The Dempseys (http://www.thedempseys.net) are playing the Scotty, Bill, and D.J.! Shame their names aren't in the credits, though. :(

Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:47 am

Genesim,
You don't have to prove to everyone how important Bing Crosby was to popular music. The guy was on the top for decades. Because many people have no idea about "music of old" or don't give a crap about it, well, that's their problem. Let them be naive when it comes to music. You and I and several others on this board know how good Bing was.

I bet there are a lot of people who don't visit this board think that Elvis is the Bing of days gone by. In other words, passe.

To each their own. Only true musicologists and just plain lovers of popular music will appreciate Bing & Frank & Dean and a slew of others who were as bitg or nearly as big as Elvis was. Because it was so long ago, people just don't care. Or just because the sounds were different and maybe a bit prehistoric for their ears, people just don't care.

But I care as well as you do. That's what really counts. It would be pretty boring if all we did was listen to Elvis every day. That's why my collection keeps growing and growing.

jeff R

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:39 am

Your gonna make me cry Jeff R, I mean that! :cry: :cry:

Thank you for the thought out response. Hard to believe one day we almost gonna kill each other. :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I get carried away, I admit it. But hey, just look at JamesAKelley's response. That is why I write... What some people don't get is that I also write for myself. Cause with every word of my debate, that pushes me that much closer to the subject. Here I am digging around in the closet for the exact titles of Bings material, and at the same time, I just gotta play the songs again!

Same thing I went through with KISS a few days ago. I love it!

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:31 pm

You mean my response in a good way, or was there a point I missed? Just checking. :)

I'm a lot like that with Dean Martin... I've got all the Bear Family box sets, and it's a shame there aren't many Dino outtakes - one of the few artists besides Elvis (likely the only, so far - maybe Jim Croce) that I'd enjoy listening to a session of. Anyway, it's cool going through the songs chronologically, to get the effect of the changes he made as he and his style progressed.

I have to say, imo, Elvis is probably the best musical cultural sprinboard of any artist known today - he did so many styles and had so many influences, that after I had fully explored the Elvis masters (mostly anyway, as I still catch little inflections and things as time goes on), I started listening to those things that he listened to, reveling in hearing those things that Elvis picked up from the people and likely the very song versions he picked them up from.. and then came to enjoy the music more and more on it's own terms. And it's one of the major factors in why I'm recording and performing my own music now.

I think that if I was to enjoy any other artist as much as I do Elvis (but instead of Elvis), I probably would not have been blessed with such a diverse taste in musical exploration.

My point with all this is that hopefully as more fans delve into the catalogue and start to become intrigued with the "why" and "how" and not just the "what", it'll lead to a whole world of great music, and an appreciation for it.

Hope that makes sense.

Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:45 pm

Getting back to Johnny Cash, he was the icon of post war country music. Hank Williams was the father of post war country music, but Cash was it's biggest icon. The thing about Johnny was that he was more than a country artist. He was also a bit of a folk singer, his early records had a rockabilly flavor, and there was also an element of appalachian mountain styled gospel and hillbilly in his music. His singer-songwriter style would eventually became the norm in rock and pop music.

He was a giant in my opinion. One of the 20th century's greatest artists.

Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:49 pm

genesim wrote:Birds of a feather....in this case. jackasses. :lol:

As usual, your "rapier-like" wit is a joy to behold. :roll: My advice: call rent-a-brain and tell 'em your hard-of-thinking.

Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:30 pm

surfquack wrote:My advice: call rent-a-brain and tell 'em your hard-of-thinking.

Yuck yuck :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

XXXXXXX

Jamie Kelley,

It was a good way. I enjoyed your post.

XXXXXXXX

Yes getting back to Cash. I just bought San Quentin not that long ago. Great concert, though the repeat on the main song should have been done later in the show!

Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:38 pm

Never really been much of a Cash fan, but over Xmas i bought a Sun box set, and San Quentin. I much prefer the live stuff, though i could`nt listen to that voice for more than an album at a time!

Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:52 am

A couple months ago I decided to listen to a lot of Cash. During about a one month period I listened to all his cds. There must have been 100+. Never got bored or tired of his voice. I wish I had more but there isn't anymore available.

jeff R

Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:43 am

For Cash fans who may have not heard about this new DVD release filmed in Austin, Texas in 1987, it is definitely worth getting. You can pick it up at Walmart or most anywhere else.

http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/artists/program170.html

Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:07 pm

I caught an old re-run of a mid 70`s Columbo recently, that guest starred Cash. He made Elvis look like Robert De-Niro!

Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:23 pm

Yeah, Johnny made quite a few appearances on tv during that time. Ever catch him on the episode of "Little House On The Prarie" where he's playing a con man / preacher? I think June was with him, too, if I'm not mistaken.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:45 pm

Eagle I really liked him in that episode. I think Cash was very convincing as an actor. That and I think of the Muppet Show and Hee Haw. Always was a great entertainer.