Off Topic Messages

walk the line

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:25 pm

has anyone seen this movie yet.i was wondering if anyone was playing johnny horton in it .i know someone is playing the king and roy orbison . johnny horton was johnny cashs best friend untill he died in 1960.a friend of mine seen it in america two months ago but had not heard of johnny horton so he can not remember if he was in it.as johnny is largly forgotten i hope he gets a mention in the movie as he was a wonderful singer and i am sure johnny cash would want his friend to be mentioned in the movie.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Nice avatar, but you might want to think about shrinking it just a tad.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:45 pm

Two tads.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:56 pm

thanks but how do you make it smaller it took me long enough to get it on their lol. i take it you have not seen the movie.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:54 am

There are two other threads with this same topic. Please check those out.

jeff R

Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:58 am

you might want to reduce the width of the avatar, because it appears completely stretched out.

it is the size of a sig, rather than an avatar.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:14 am

Wow! I never thought Rob's Elvis lights would look small. :lol:

Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:09 am

here. i resized the avatar for you. ;)

one thing i am capable of in the elvis world is photoshopping.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:12 am

thanks elvis babe it looks much better now.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:14 am

rocknroller wrote:thanks elvis babe it looks much better now.

Looks exactly the same on my screen.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:31 am

Wow, no one needs to find a topic to discuss any more.Just get a great avatar and there you go. :wink:

Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:14 am

The topic is fine, but it gets lost in the inconvenience of the avatar. I have seen "Walk The Line," and found it very entertaining. I don't recall Johnny Horton being mentioned in the film, though.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:17 pm

thanks khoots ive seen the movie now and horton was not in it but i loved it. i thought it was very well done.i am not a big johnny cash fan but i think i will give his music a blast.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:13 am

Sean Ryan wrote:Wow, no one needs to find a topic to discuss any more.Just get a great avatar and there you go. :wink:

amusingly, i've seen my avatar work (see left) spread all over the internet--even though it's basically just a bunch of animated stills and a crop job. the joy of the right click button. :lol:

still haven't seen walk the line...but i want to. i've heard a handful of johnny cash songs...he's ok. though joaquin and reese look like they did a really good job. the elvis portrayal, i KNOW, is going to bug the heck out of me, but oh well.

st. gerard passed for me as elvis--actually moreso in hairspray than great balls of fire...he did a better elvis when he wasn't trying to be him. though i do say he passes quite well.

rhys-meyers was a nightmare. and tyler hilton--actually looks a bit better from pics i've seen.

the problem with elvii in the movies is that when they cast young elvis, they end up getting these shrimpy short skinny kids who need to gain about 10 pounds just to look like elvis at his skinniest, not to mention grow about half a foot--elvis was in the whereabouts of 6'.

is it just me, or does the last batch of elvii look too skinny and short?

hmm...maybe i should check out the kurt russell vid someday...he was at least a bit more proportionate.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:35 am

your avator is very cool elvis babe.i have not seen rhys-mayers as elvis yet let you know when i do.st gerard was great he was allso in the 50s set movie heart of dixie.you will like walk the line but the guy that plays elvis is poor as is the jerry lee he was bloody awfull lol.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:24 pm

yeah, i saw the pics of the cast of walk the line...jerry lee just looked WRONG. and tyler looked closer to elvis before they did tyler's hair (it doesn't look right in the pics--not to mention before loving you it should be dark blonde).

ok, i got to admit it. i like dennis quaid as jerry lee. :lol: regardless of how far off the looks were, dennis acted the hell out of that movie.

now a rock 'n roll biopic that i'm still having nightmares about is gary busey as buddy holly. :shock: i only made it through that movie because toad from american graffiti was one of the crickets.

now la bamba is a movie where i have to admit i like ritchie valens mostly because of that movie. lou diamond phillips did a good job--again not a person who particularly looks like the star (though lou is actually more attractive in this case). los lobos (?) did a good job covering the songs, i felt. and the actors who played cochran and holly weren't too far off. jackie wilson was kinda off, i felt though.

now speaking of which...go, johnny, go (allan freed movie), even with the stars, makes harum scarum look like an oscar winner. it's that bad. especially every time "johnny" appears on screen looking about 15, had the innocence of a stiff altar boy, and sounded like a girl...everytime they said 'he could be the next elvis' type crap, my whole family cringed and laughed. chuck berry doing memphis, TN, jackie wilson, eddie cochran, & the cadillacs comic skit songs were the hilights. there were a lot of stars like ritchie valens though who really didn't have a good song selection.

as far as rock 'n roll movies and biopics...gary busey as buddy holly and the go, johnny, go movie are among the worst.

oh, and the frankie and annette movies...those were also terrible. :? beach blanket bimbo...i made it through a total of one scene.

and among the various musical biopics--amadeus beats them all...though it definitely is based on the 1832 confession of salieri in a madhouse to have killed mozart (which he retracted). that bit was actually true. still...the requiem mass scene may be one of the most amazing scenes in film history. and i happen to adore tom hulce in both amadeus and animal house (and if you watch animal house closely, you'll hear the same amadeus laugh). :lol:

but yeah...i think joaquin and reese have the potential and acting chops to make the movie worthwhile.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:30 pm

Am I the only one that is feeling a little resentful (or the only one to admit it) about all of the attention and the seemingly free cool pass Johnny Cash has gotten since his death, While Elvis continues to struggle to regain his cool pass?

I mean I love the guy to death but lets be real, he was never the Icon Elvis, Bruce, or a host of others that I don't feel like mentioning was.

I mean from the late 70's on he pretty much was relegated to the B star treatment until of course his last album that was helped out tremendously by his death. Anyone remember his Hee Haw appearances? I bet they weren't depicted in the movie...lol

Now before I get slammed I said I was feeling resentful but I am happy deep down that he is getting all the attention because he is worthy of a cool pass and any other awards he is getting. I just think Elvis star was so bright for so long that he gets overlooked and dismissed now as the world looks to place a crown on new icons....

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:51 pm

Actually Johnny Cash's last 4 cds were highly acclaimed.
Johnny Cash may have slipped on the charts for the past two decades but he was still an icon and his admirers bought his discs.

Country music fans betrayed the legends in the late 80's-early 90's when a new slew of artists began charting. There was no longer room on the charts for artists such as Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn and many others. If they were older than 40, they wouldn't play them. In the past, that wasn't the case.

jeff R

Re: .

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:44 am

I mean I love the guy to death but lets be real, he was never the Icon Elvis, Bruce, or a host of others that I don't feel like mentioning was.

Bruce? Do you mean Springsteen or Forsyth? Either one, that's bollocks. Whichever Brucey you mean, he shouldn't be talked about in the same breath as Elvis or Cash. And Mr. Springsteen would probably be the first one to tell you that. I don't dislike Springsteen, but get your priorities right, for Gawd sake! Cash is - and always has been - more of an icon than Brucey. (Who else do you consider as 'icons'? Gilbert O'Sullivan? The Bay City Rollers? A Flock Of Seagulls? A-Ha?)

And anyway, Cash has ALWAYS been cool. All the bandwagon jumpers latched onto the American Recordings albums which, although good, aren't the best things he did. I'd much rather have the 'Strawberry Cake' or 'One Piece At A Time' LPs (from the 70s).

How come nobody has mentioned the shitty chronology in the 'Walk The Line' movie? Jerry Lee never toured with Elvis and, for that matter, Elvis never looked like a skinny member of The Stray Cats. And why is Waylon Jennings seen hanging around with the Memphis guys in the 1950s?

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:32 am

Number one Tits, I am refering to American Icons and without knowing you from Adam since you used the term Bullocks I will assume you are not from America so you probably don't even need to be in this discussion but I will humor you anyway and list a row of entertainers that are larger Icons than Cash (before his death). You will also realize this is an American list as David Hasslehoff is not at or near the top....

Elvis Presley
Beatles
Frank Sinatra
Bruce Springsteen
Bing Crosby
Michael Jackson

All of the above named artist have dominated a given decade or so and of course none being as large as Elvis. I do not remember Cash ever dominating a decade. I would no more list Cash with those artist than I would Willie Nelson whom I consider three times the talent Cash was.

No I do not list Johnny Cash with any of these, that does not mean I do not prefer his music over some of these singers as I have never owned a Springsteen Album or A Beatles cd but facts are facts he was never as large as any of the above mentioned singers and never will be.

Now as far as my priorities they are in this order, my God, my family and my job so I believe they are quite in order. Anymore questions I hope you will just ask and not be so confrontational.

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:47 am

your list looks bang on to me. they are all icons i dont like most of their music but that does not take away from their standing in music.

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:49 am

Tony -

Yes, the perspective from the UK is a little different.

Elvis has long been held in pretty high esteem here, and if anything, this has grown since his death.

Johnny Cash is seen as a pretty decent country singer who had a few hits and is no longer with us.

And of course, country music itself enjoys a relatively small following over here.

It's virtually telescoped in with the 'easy listening' stuff rather than as a seperate genre.

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:50 am

Thanks for humouring me. Now I know it's not just George W. Bush who talks bollocks - it's all Americans.

I bow to your obviously superior knowledge. As soon as you mentioned Willie Nelson as being a bigger talent than Cash I instantly realised that you know what you're talking about.

Not.

Bollocks again.

Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:38 am

Tits McGhee wrote:Thanks for humouring me.

Bollocks again.

No problem Tit

Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:08 am

Blue-Gypsy wrote:All of the above named artist have dominated a given decade or so and of course none being as large as Elvis.

I know this has been done to death, but Bing dominated the first half of the century in a much bigger way then E did this last half.

Chartwise and popularity as a radio personality, TV, Movie...there is simply no comparison.

Bing was King in his day. Though I give the nod to Elvis because Bing's material hasn't had the same attention due to formatting issues and just plain irrelevance compared to today.

Which of course is sad because Bing was a great American icon and helped the music industry in 1001 ways!