Off Topic Messages

Carl Perkins

Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:03 pm

Carl Perkins died 8 years ago today aged 65.

He pioneered the 'rockabilly' sound along with Sun label stablemate Elvis Presley.

Carl wrote [and had a hit with] the classic Blue Suede Shoes, a song with which he is forever associated.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:32 pm

He would be 73......it could be doing shows.

R.I.P. Carl Perkins.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:29 pm

I remember watching him toward the end on the Home Shopping Network. Very kind man that had nothing but good things to say about E.

The sad part is that even BSS is more affiliated with E.

Still, the artists in the know, are very respectful of Perkins achievements and he deserves all the recognition. R.I.P.

Carl Perkins

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:58 am

Possibly the nicest man in all of rock and roll. My ex-girlfriend and her mother met him at a Beatle fan thing and talked to them for hours, even gave them his home address, said "drop by anytime you're in Jackson, Tennessee". Among his admirers were Rick Nelson, George Harrison, John Fogerty, Dave Edmunds, and of course he toured with Cash for many years.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:22 am

One of the true greats in Rock 'n' Roll/Rockabilly music

I love the guy... absolutely superb

Long Live CARL PERKINS

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:34 am

He was probably the definitive rockabilly in that the "billy" was never missing from the music. It was always more obviously a country/blues hybrid. Also, his lyrics really captured the hillbilly on the town vibe that was at the heart of the rockabilly aesthetic.

We go on here about Bill Haley not hitting big enough because of his looks and a lack of personal charisma but Perkins was an even bigger victim of that. He produced a slew of classic tracks mostly at Sun- "Put Your Cat Clothes On", "Dixie Fried" "Glad All Over", "Lonely Heart", "Your True Love", "Tennessee", "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" but only "Blue Suede Shoes" hit the big time and even that as Genesim pointed out is now more associated with Elvis. So, much more of his stuff should be better known today.

He was a truly great performer and a huge influence on acts from the Beatles to Ricky Nelson (who idolized him) to Creedence Clearwater Revival. He was also one of the truly great ambassadors for early rock and roll.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:52 am

When I went to Sun Studios last year, they played some outtakes of some Elvis songs that Sam Phillips never told RCA that he kept. During one particular song, you could hear Sam fussing because Elvis started laughing and ruined the track. Seems that while Elvis was recording, Carl stopped in to pay a visit and started making faces at Elvis through the glass in the door.

Not only was he one of the rockabilly greats, but he apparently had quite a sense of humor as well.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:10 pm

Rob wrote:When I went to Sun Studios last year, they played some outtakes of some Elvis songs that Sam Phillips never told RCA that he kept.

Well, don't leave it at that !

What songs ?

Have they been released ?

Does Ernst know about them ?

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:29 pm

ColinB wrote:
Rob wrote:When I went to Sun Studios last year, they played some outtakes of some Elvis songs that Sam Phillips never told RCA that he kept.

What songs ?

:shock: :shock:

Unreleased tracks?

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:32 pm

ColinB wrote:

What songs ?

If they're playing them during the tours at Sun, I'm sure Ernst is aware. The one that had Elvis breaking up was When It Rains It Really Pours.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:08 pm

Rob -

We've had some outtakes [false starts] of Elvis' Sun version of When It Rains, It Really Pours.

Perhaps you heard some unreleased studio chat ?

If they have unreleased tracks, no doubt we'll get them on Ernst's definitive Sun release - due shortly !

Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:24 am

ColinB wrote:Perhaps you heard some unreleased studio chat?

It was chat that I had not previously heard. Elvis totally breaking up and Sam fussing a little.

Hopefully, we'll get it when the Sun FTD is finally released.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:38 am

If what you heard Rob is " I do not know what to do with Carl Perkins" comment, I think it is in one of the Sun session outtakes. Don't remember which one. Might be in one of the Legendary Performer series (RCA).

Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:02 pm

Carl says:

"Autograph ?
No problem, sonny !
Made out to 'Elvis' ?
Err... how are you spelling that ?"