Off Topic Messages

In God We Trust - Or Do We ? UPDATE !

Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:34 pm

Who Wants To Be a Millionaire ?

On a yet-to-be-broadcast episode of the above show, the well-known UK tv 'celebrity', Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, together with his wife, had reached £500,000.

For £1m, they were asked:

"Translated from the Latin, what is the motto of the United States ?"

a] In God we trust.

b] One out of many

c] All as one

d] Striving together

They chose In God we trust.

Wrong !

The answer was One out of many !

Their half-a-million dropped to £32,000 !

Oops !!

On the US 'Great Seal' there is a Latin phrase which translates to One out of many, it's true, but in 1956 they adopted In God we trust as their 'motto' !

That's what is on their currency, but in English, not Latin !

What to do ?

He and his wife are to be given another go on the show !
Last edited by ColinB on Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:40 pm

Once in a quizz on TV they asked a guy to name record companies. One of them was M-G-M but that was wrong. Wrong? There are quite a few of those yellow label discs that have the M-G-M label on them. If I remember correctly Connie Francis and Conway Twitty were on MGM.
However, the guy had to leave the quizz with a "wrong" answer and someone else won.

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:20 am

That was a misleading question. Ask any American what thier countrys motto is and the overwhelming majority ( regardless of the translation) will answer 'In God We Trust'.

That motto was adopted in the 50's to cover up the masonic symbols that are on the seal.

http://www.prs.org/gallery-mason.htm

http://www.conspiracyarchive.com/NWO/All_Seeing_Eye.htm

Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:41 am

This whole story seems to have been buried in the UK !

The original site where I read it [BBC News] had dropped all the details when I looked back a little while later !

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Update

Yesterday [Saturday, 11th Feb] they finally broadcast the show.

After they gave the 'wrong' answer and went back to £32,000 [from a potential £1m] the screen went into a fuzzy effect which cleared to reveal Chris Tarrant saying:

"Well, that was what happened then. But we're giving them a second chance"

He repeated that their answer was still considered as being wrong.

But due to the fact that "since the 50's 'In God We Trust' has also been used as the US motto" they could have a go at a different question !

Which was: Who was the first man to go into space twice ?

Among the options were Yuri Gagarin, Michael Collins & Gus Grissom.

They opted to take the £500,000 for their chosen charity and run.

The answer was Gus Grissom.

What happened to Laurence Llewellyn Bowen and his wife was a first for the show.

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:31 pm

ColinB wrote:Update

Yesterday [Saturday, 11th Feb] they finally broadcast the show.

After they gave the 'wrong' answer and went back to £32,000 [from a potential £1m] the screen went into a fuzzy effect which cleared to reveal Chris Tarrant saying:

"Well, that was what happened then. But we're giving them a second chance"

He repeated that their answer was still considered as being wrong.

But due to the fact that "since the 50's 'In God We Trust' has also been used as the US motto" they could have a go at a different question !

Which was: Who was the first man to go into space twice ?

Among the options were Yuri Gagarin, Michael Collins & Gus Grissom.

They opted to take the £500,000 for their chosen charity and run.

The answer was Gus Grissom.

What happened to Laurence Llewellyn Bowen and his wife was a first for the show.

The reason they gave for reversing the decision was that the show always states "there are no trick questions" and that one clearly fell into that territory. Despite reading your original post Colin, I'd actually forgotten all about it until that last question came up last night. Then I thought "Nooooo!!!" :lol: Glad they reversed it as it was a very worthwhile charity the money was going to.

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:55 pm

Luuk wrote:Once in a quizz on TV they asked a guy to name record companies. One of them was M-G-M but that was wrong. Wrong? There are quite a few of those yellow label discs that have the M-G-M label on them. If I remember correctly Connie Francis and Conway Twitty were on MGM.

The late great Hank Williams Senior was on MGM