Off Topic Messages

Lifespan of a CD(R)

Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:20 am

Anyone having problems?

http://msn.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124312,00.asp?GT1=7645

Re: Lifespan of a CD(R)

Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:30 am

Rob wrote:Anyone having problems?

No, I don't bother with CD-R's or DVD-R's. I only buy the real thing: real CD's, real DVD's and real, uh... vinyl records. I hope that when I'm 87 years old, I'll still be able to enjoy my music and movie collection. And I store all my photos in photo albums, not on CD-R or on my hardrive. So I'll be safe. I hope!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:09 pm

Same here. I think that I can count on one hand (possibly both) the number of CDR's that I have. No problems here either, but I have heard some here talk about the troubles that they have had with them.

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:40 pm

I bought my first one back in 1999 (didn't even know it was one at that time) and I just played it the other day and had no problems.

Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:27 pm

I buy lots of blank CDR's and DVDR's. Once I record on them I have had very little problems.

8)

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:00 pm

Funny, I actually read an article about the cd-r lifespan today - a scientist claiming that some cd-r's only lasts about 2-5 years!

Man, he must have tested some VERY POOR cd-r's!

If a recorded cd-r is stored and treated right, I see no reason why it shouldn't last longer!

I copy most of my music on cd-r's, to either have in the car or have with me when I'm not home.
I started doing this in 1998, and so far (knock on wood) I can count on one hand the cd-r's I've had problems with...

Br
Kristian

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:55 pm

Never had a problem with CDRs. Unless I did not store them properly. In that case that goes for regular CDs. I have transfered among other things Vinyl records to CDr and have been happy with results. Some of those early cd bootlegs were transfered the same but to a REAL CD :? and they sound like crap. I rather have a "fake" Cd that sounds better than a "real " that does not. IMO.

Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:20 pm

Just the regular scratches.

Last week, I went to play an Engelbert dvd, and it wouldn't load in the player.
Upon checking, there was a 1 in crack from the center hole.

So, I ordered the same dvd from Amazon, and it arrived looking identical, but it was a different transfer made by Hippo records ... in the process, they lost the Dolby DTS, using PCM.

The dvd sounds like crap ... sound mostly centered through the front speakers, no spatializing, no rear punch, weak volume.

Amazon was reasonable .... they credited my Visa, and I ordered the DTS replacement off Ebay.

Be careful popping those dvd's into the jewel case ... this was my first flawed dvd, yet it worked perfectly for about 6 months.

Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:41 pm

A few I burned in 99 ( Maxell / Sony)have developed problems - tracks after no 10 not playing etc... the others have mostly behaved well.
Same here regarding DVDs the earliest ones -especially some " no name" or small name brands have given me problems.