What DVD's are you buying this week?? So far, I've picked up:

Sam Peckinpah's Legendary Westerns Collection
Red Eye
Ferris Bueller's Day Off: Bueller Bueller Edition
Dead Poets Society: Special Edition

Tom

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:24 pm

The Aviator (2004)

I am still watching my way thru six seasons of "The West Wing".

Dead Poets Society brings back memories. My English class attended the matinee in '96, it was actually a special screening. Anyway first film ever I saw in English. And I couldn't understand most of the dialogue. That's when I decided to tackle the language. I guess I have come a long way.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:19 pm

Add:

Good Morning Vietnam:SE
The Grudge-Unrated
The Exorcist-SE
The Man who Shot Liberty Valance
The Shootist

to my list. Gotta love Wally-Mart!!

Tom

Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:55 pm

Mary Tyler Moore Show Season 3
The Old Grey Whistle Test, Vol. 2

(both new this week)

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:45 pm

I ordered the fourth season of Seinfeld on Play.com on Sunday for just over twenty-six Euros (US$31), including shipping. Not a bad deal for anyone looking catch up on the DVDs (seasons one through three are available for the same price).

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:41 am

Hi Tom,

Just finished watching the first volume of the Gunsmoke box sets. The quality is great. The extras, for me, are worth the price. I hope there are many more to come out now since Columbia House has discontinued the Gunsmoke collection much to my dismay.
I have the first three seasons and the first two discs of season 4 and now they stop. I'm really pissed off about this. I spent a couple hundred dollars buying these and then they stop.
If you like Gunsmoke, these two three disc collections are a good starter. Hopefully they will do a season by season set. Wow! 20 box sets of Gunsmoke!
A great series.

jeff R

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:34 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:Hi Tom,

Just finished watching the first volume of the Gunsmoke box sets. The quality is great. The extras, for me, are worth the price. I hope there are many more to come out now since Columbia House has discontinued the Gunsmoke collection much to my dismay.
I have the first three seasons and the first two discs of season 4 and now they stop. I'm really pissed off about this. I spent a couple hundred dollars buying these and then they stop.
If you like Gunsmoke, these two three disc collections are a good starter. Hopefully they will do a season by season set. Wow! 20 box sets of Gunsmoke!
A great series.

jeff R

Hi Jeffrey. I was just about to start a new topic on "Gunsmoke". See, I've never watched this series, but now that it's being released on DVD, I think I'd like to give it a try. But, uh... there are no complete seasons? Did this thing run for years and years or what? How many seasons exist?

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:06 pm

Last week I got Bob Newhart Season One, Elvis- That's the Way It is- SE (Yes I'm a straggler), Andy Griffith Season Three and To Catch a Thief.

This week I might try some B-horror as "Blood of Dracula" and "How to Make a Monster" are coming out as a double.

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:02 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Hi Jeffrey. I was just about to start a new topic on "Gunsmoke". See, I've never watched this series, but now that it's being released on DVD, I think I'd like to give it a try. But, uh... there are no complete seasons? Did this thing run for years and years or what? How many seasons exist?

Keith,
Paramount is testing the waters by releasing these "best of" sets before they decide to go to the expense of producing season sets. Gunsmoke was on for an unbelievable 20 years (21 seasons), so releasing season sets would be incredibly expensive for the studio. There is also a rumor that the studio is having some problems locating complete copies of some of the episodes, and that some are in really bad shape. No word yet on how these problems will be addressed.

Tom

P.S. Add Super Troopers to my list.

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:09 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:Gunsmoke was on for an unbelievable 20 years (21 seasons), so releasing season sets would be incredibly expensive for the studio.

I'd say it would be pretty expensive for me, too! :shock: :D 20 years is a long time indeed. Maybe we're all better off with the "best of" packages? Anyway, thanks for your reply, Tom. You input on this MB is much appreciated.

In my basket this week you'll find a Joe Strummer tribute DVD called Roots Rock Rebel (a Swedish DVD) and season 3 of the fantastic, and very underrated, TV series Homicide: Life On The Street. You should all get the Homicide DVD's. Trust me, you won't regret it.

Looking forward to "Hill Street Blues".

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:53 pm

Picked up at Sam's this morning:

Meet Me in St. Louis-SE
The Deep
The Fox and the Hound
Dora the Explorer-Save the Day
Disney SingAlongSongs-I Love to Laugh
Disney SingAlongSongs-The Bare Necessities

Tom

Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:37 pm

I got "Panic in the Year Zero"/"Last Man on Earth", "Where the Sidewalk Ends", "The Cincinnati Kid" and "How To Make Monster/Blood of Dracula".