Off Topic Messages

KISS & Elvis?

Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:26 pm

In the latestd "Fact of the Week sent out by EPE thy claim that Gene Simmons from KISS was indeed one of the cliff divers in "Fun In Acapulco". I'm finding this very hard to belive.
Where did Gene first live when he came to this country? I thought he lived on the east coast?
JEFF d
EPFAN!

Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:43 am

One of my best friends is a KISS freak, and he has never mentioned that before. Kinda hard to swallow that.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:40 am

same name different person

Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:22 am

not true.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:37 am

Yeah Jeff D, I asked this on the old message board. It is not true. Same name though.

Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:51 pm

Whats wierd is that they say for definate that it is THE Gene Simmons from the rock group KISS, maybe the only person that can actually clear this up is Gene himself.
JEFF d
EPFAN

Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:02 pm

I don't know if it is him or not. But if EPE says it is, is that to far fetched to believe. Maybe they made a mistake, or maybe they know.

:shock:

Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:34 pm

You know what would be gunny? If he was that little kid who was "Elvis' "manager" in the movie! lol
JEFF d
EPFAN

Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:08 pm

He is credited with Fun in Acapulco on a few sites. This is the Gene Simmons from KISS.

Gene Simmons
Page 1 of 20

25 August 1949
Haifa, Israel
Trivia
Gave Elijah Blue (Cher's son) his first guitar at age 11. (show more)
Sometimes Credited As:
Kiss
Gene Klein
Gary Mezzer
Chaim Witz
Gene Simmons
Amazon.com
Video
DVD
Soundtrack
Also available:
Books

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filmography as: Actor, Producer, Himself, Notable TV Guest Appearances
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actor - filmography
(2000s) (1990s) (1980s) (1970s) (1960s)
New Guy, The (2002) .... Reverend
My First Mister (2001) (uncredited) .... J's Mother's Fantasy Head
Wish You Were Dead (2000) .... Vinny
At Any Cost (2000) (TV)
Red Surf (1990) .... Doc
Wanted: Dead or Alive (1987) .... Malak Al Rahim
Trick or Treat (1986) .... Nuke
Never Too Young to Die (1986) .... Carruthers/Velvet Von Ragner
Runaway (1984) .... Dr. Charles Luther, Vectrocon

KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park (1978) (TV) .... The Demon
... aka Attack of the Phantoms (1978) (TV)
... aka KISS in Attack of the Phantoms (1978) (TV)

Fun in Acapulco (1963) (uncredited) .... Diver

from this page....

http://amazon.imdb.com/Name?Simmons,%20Gene

Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:06 pm

Do you all remember the story in Red & Sonnys book "Elvis-What Happened" about one of thel divers that picked Elvis up when he won the competition during the movie, and one of them kept grabing Elvis' balls? Well I guess we know now who it was! LOL
JEFF d
EPFAN

Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:36 pm

I thought that story was from Blue Hawaii with the guys carrying Elvis onto the beach. They ended up with less guys in the scene. lol

8)

Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:47 pm

No, that was a scene from "Fun In Acapulco," not "Blue Hawaii."

Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:46 pm

Hey maybe this demon was testing Elvis for a hernia, I know picking E up my cause the same effect.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:15 am

Again, this response wont win me any popularity contests from the peanut gallery but then who cares. lol but must say.. once again, its the same ole know it all snots who think they know all and are so damn superior to the likes of EPE and such ilk that Gene Simmons appearing in Fun In Acapulco is just too bizarre to believe. well dudes, check out http://www.imdb.com and he is indeed uncredited in the movie as a diver.
you people amaze me, u think EPE just makes this stuff up? you really look even more stupid when u dont think this could possibly be and woila it is and you're proven wrong. I invite you to check it out.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:52 am

Gene Simmons, the moneymaking, costume-rcok innovator of the 1970s, never appeared in 1963's "Fun In Acapulco."

IMDB is not infallible. And -- as you prove over and over -- neither are you.

Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:19 am

So far three sites mentioned in these posts confirm it is Gene Simmons from Kiss that appears as a diver in "Fun In Acapulco."
I realise he would have been about 14 yrs old at the time, but it seems everyone is wrong and the Doc is right again with out offering any proof
about it not being him.

:shock:

Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:44 am

I cut and pasted this from another site.........

If you look very closely you'll see that one of the uncredited cliff
divers in "Fun in Acapulco" is a young Gene Simmons. Yes, the same Gene Simmons who would not only try his hand at acting but also at being a rock 'n' roller, achieving fame as a member of the band Kiss. He was born in Israel and at one time the multi-linguist was a school teacher. He has gone on to careers in writing, publishing and merchandising as .............

Well the proof is certainly mounting that is is the Gene Simmons of KISS.

:D

Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Gene Simmons, the moneymaking, costume-rcok innovator of the 1970s, never appeared in 1963's "Fun In Acapulco."

IMDB is not infallible. And -- as you prove over and over -- neither are you.

Dr. John,

You're right. IMDB is capable of making mistakes.

On their profile on Elvis, it stated that he appeared on Tom Jones' TV show in 1969 (Check under the section "Television appearances").
If they can get that wrong, I wonder what other items they've goofed up on.
Still, IMDB is a good site, and I like to check it.

Getting back on topic here, was Gene Simmons ever asked if he was in "Fun In Acapulco"?
I'm sure he would remember it. Heck, if I had appeared in an Elvis movie, I would certainly remember it.

Tom (from Ohio)

Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:50 pm

Unfortunately I think the Doc is right. This was posted as a question on genesimmons.com(I think). At any rate I read it somewhere. Though I will be happy to send him another note to see if he answers again. Gene Simmons was a very hard working man, but at the same time, he didn't have the appreciation for Elvis that we have. Though he is admirable of the man, he finds the Beatles to be more in tune with his line of thinking. Not saying he is right, but coming from him, I can understand. To Gene, Elvis music was not "heavy enough". He grew up on the Beatles and that is what inspired him to play. Elvis was before his time.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:39 am

Seems strange that he would say that Elvis was before his time. He was 14 when Fun In Acapulco was filmed. That's still a couple years before The Beatles hit it big in the US. What was he listening to at that time, I wonder. Elvis was still the biggest thing in rock.
I grew up with Elvis and I was only 12 when Fun In Acapulco was filmed.
I know everyone is different and have different tastes. It just seems strange to say that Elvis was before his time.
The Beatles were also very influential to my music tastes when they arrived but Elvis had already been there.

jeff R

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:54 am

First of all, there is no time limit on what influences you. I know I didn't pay attention THAT MUCH attention to music till I hit my sophemore to senior year in high school. Secondly, you have to understand that Gene had other interests: collecting comic books, watching TV and basically trying to get a grasp on the ENGLISH LANGUAGE!!! He lived a portion of his life in Israel and I imagine, that Elvis while maybe being a subconcious influence, he still was way past his initial impact by the time somebody like Gene had understood the concept of what a breakthru artist was. I imagine the Beatles had this effect on many people in that age group. Think about it. You are going through the paces of becoming a adult...school...responsibility.....and then BAM puberty hits and bam the Beatles hit!!! I can just imagine. Elvis wasn't exactly IT at that time. Most boys are hitting their sexual peak at 17 to 18. They go through puberty at 15. Hello!!! While Elvis is doing It Happened at the Worlds Fair or Kissing Cousins the Beatles are turning the music world UPSIDE down. Add to that, they every chick is going ga ga, and then also add that Gene is showing a interest in becoming a musician and writing his own songs. Yeah I can see the attraction.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:16 am

We seem to be riding a roller coaster with this topic. A very good friend (and huge KISS freak) of mine--whom I mentioned in a previous post--told me that he recalls Gene addressing this topic on a website and saying that he did NOT appear in the movie. His word is a helluva lot more reliable than anything.com.......

Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:16 am

sam wrote:So far three sites mentioned in these posts confirm it is Gene Simmons from Kiss that appears as a diver in "Fun In Acapulco."
I realise he would have been about 14 yrs old at the time, but it seems everyone is wrong and the Doc is right again with out offering any proof about it not being him. :shock:

S.A.M. -- what's really "shocking" is how very likely your other <b>805</b> posts you've made are about as equally ignorant as the one above. Do feel free to apologize as you read on:

hounddawgs6499 wrote:<b>Dr. John, You're right</b>. IMDB is capable of making mistakes. On their profile on Elvis, it stated that he appeared on Tom Jones' TV show in 1969 (Check under the section "Television appearances"). If they can get that wrong, I wonder what other items they've goofed up on. Still, IMDB is a good site, and I like to check it.

Thank you. IMDB is a great site, just not perfect.

genesim wrote:Unfortunately I think <b>the Doc is right</b>.

<i>Unfortunately</i>? How about <b>as usual</b>?

It gets so old -- read and learn, children, read and learn!

Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:34 am

KHoots wrote:Gene addressing this topic on a website and saying that he did NOT appear in the movie. His word is a helluva lot more reliable than anything.com.......

KHoots - be careful, ..................... some will try to tell you that Gene might be mistaken ................ :wink: ........... afterall, "EPE" said it is so, ...................... therefore ...................... well, you know the rest.

This may come as a surprise to some, but Graceland / EPE is not always correct.

If Elvis were still around, I'm sure some would be saying .......... E himself can't always remember everything about his own life / signature-autographs / personal items, etc.

Gimme a break.

N8
... just a fan ....

Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:35 am

Every site I go to seems to think it is Gene Simmons from KISS. I'm just waiting for the proof it is not him. Without re-reading all the posts I don't think I have said it definately is him. Just that the proof is mounting and I am waiting for proof that it isn't him.

And Doc I only find a small amount of your posts interesting so whats the harm. :wink:

:twisted: